New Uke Day!

mattydee

Reaction score
I submit my new Lanikai O8-EK, an 8 string spruce topped tenor with ovangkol back and sides, and Fishman electronics (including a built in tuner!). Set up perfectly by our very own Mim.

The Ovangkol is a laminate, but really beautifully figured. The headstock has a couple of different woods, making for a beautiful slot-head.

I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, but it sure sings beautifully unplugged. My first 8 string, so I'm still getting used to fretting without buzzes, and the super chimey chorus effect of the doubled courses.

I was originally inspired by Uncle Elvis and what seems to be his go-to axe for busking. And now a number of newer seasonistas have been playing theirs over in the Seasons of the Ukulele threads on the contests board, and Mim posted a deal on facebook, and that was it. Sold.

I'm looking forward to figuring this one out, which songs sound best on it, and how to do the bit of picking that I like on it. I know that Aaron at HMS has a video of picking on an 8 string, so it can be done. I don't do a ton of picking, but now and again, I like a bit of a fill when I'm strumming.

Anyway... UAS strikes again, I guess.

Lanikai Front.jpg
Lanikai Back.jpg
Lanikai Headstock.jpg

Congrats! That model, which I also bought from Mim, was my first 8-string. I recently sold it because I got a Kamaka 8-string, but I was very fond of it. It's a great ukulele and I'm sure you'll love it.

You sure have yourself a great looking uke there. I hope you really enjoy it. I have a Taylor guitar with ovangkol B&S's. It is a beautiful wood.

Me too! I received mine from Mim today as well! Also my first 8-string, and I am enchanted by the sound. That makes at least three of us UUers who have received this model in the last week.

Congrats guys! that's a lotta strings!

Great ukes.....let the chime begin

Congratulations. The feeling of a new uke is a great one. Enjoy

Top Bottom