Jake's New Album "Grand Ukulele" streaming on YouTube

MisterRios

Reaction score
Not sure to which board I should post this, since I've never started a thread, but I was looking through my YouTube subscriptions this morning and discovered that Jake is streaming his new album through his official YouTube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfuFwoUD6oI&feature=plcp

I'm listening to it right now.

Sounds great, but Rolling In The Deep? Why, Jake, why???

Sounds great, but Rolling In The Deep? Why, Jake, why???

Why not? When I saw him, he played the song and it was awesome! My wife doesn't really care about the ukulele, other than the fact that it makes me happy, but when Jake played Rolling In The Deep, she was on the edge of her seat. I think that it's a great song and due to it's popularity, it will attract another audience to the ukulele. Kudos to Jake.

I bought Jake's "Grand Ukulele" album at midnight on Itunes and it is Awesome!!!...

I really like the Orchestra and Percussion background music which really compliments Jake's playing style!

I'm certainly liking the music on this album!
Thank you Jake for making such nice music!

Thanks for posting the link. Reminded me I need to buy the album, and enjoying the music right now.

I bought Jake's "Grand Ukulele" album at midnight on Itunes and it is Awesome!!!...

I really like the Orchestra and Percussion background music which really compliments Jake's playing style!

I picked it up this morning on the way to work. I also think the Orchestra is perfect on this album. This may be my favorite of Jake's albums.

Just bought it on Amazon. Can't wait to see him this Sunday at the Montalvo Carriage House Theatre in Saratoga :)

I ordered it from Amazon today, too. Then I listened to the entire CD from the link here. I think it was very generous of him to put it out there when I'm sure there'll be some who'll rip it to MP3 to avoid buying the CD.

While I enjoy Jake's playing, what bothers me about his CDs is the amount of added "production" on the songs, like drums, strings, even oboes. Many of the tunes come across sounding like easy listening Muzak (AKA elevator music). I had thought Alan Parsons would bring a new twist, but it's basically the same old-same old in that regard.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but my favorites are always the pieces that are just Jake solo and showcase his playing and not "production" in the studio. He doesn't travel with a band or use backing tracks on stage as far as I know. I would rather hear all Jake, all solo, all the time. :)

Just bought it on Amazon mp3 ($6.99) rather than Apple iTunes ($9.99)...so it's on my Apple iPod now!

Ordered the CD from Amazon since I have a 30 day trial for Prime. Also there was a $1 credit for any MP3 back so the cost was $8.99. Two bucks more than the download. I'll have him sign it at his documentary showing in Hawaii.

without video footage it's a bit too much like elevator music, sorry just my opinion.

Last edited:
I ordered it from Amazon today, too. Then I listened to the entire CD from the link here. I think it was very generous of him to put it out there when I'm sure there'll be some who'll rip it to MP3 to avoid buying the CD.

While I enjoy Jake's playing, what bothers me about his CDs is the amount of added "production" on the songs, like drums, strings, even oboes. Many of the tunes come across sounding like easy listening Muzak (AKA elevator music). I had thought Alan Parsons would bring a new twist, but it's basically the same old-same old in that regard.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but my favorites are always the pieces that are just Jake solo and showcase his playing and not "production" in the studio. He doesn't travel with a band or use backing tracks on stage as far as I know. I would rather hear all Jake, all solo, all the time. :)

Same for me! I bought the last album mostly because I liked the song 143 that I heard before on that Rolling Stone special with Jake. I didn't listen into the album before buying it and was a bit disappointed when I heard 143 with all the other instruments in it. Did not sound as good for me, maybe only because I heard the other version a lot before buying the album.
So now I am on the one hand happy and on the other hand disappointed that the same song is now on this album as well, in a version closer to the Rolling Stone video one. I also think he should just do solo ukulele on his albums, it is what he does best.

Have to agree with the comments about the "over-production". As an example someone earlier posted on UU the link to a YouTube vid titled "Jake Shimabukuro Playing With Less" where he (alone) plays what is now titled "Missing Three" on the new CD. I find that version much more moving.

I think Kalei's new CD suffers from the same over-production problem. I would much rather listen to his solo performance on the HiSessions YouTube channel (sound engineer always does an excellent job btw). Again, the emotion and passion conveyed are much more powerful.

I have to wonder whether an artist's CD becomes the producer's CD because the artist is enamored with the producer.

In any event, I recognize that just because I prefer a more bare bones production doesn't make me right, and those that prefer otherwise wrong. I hope Jake's CD is very successful, and look forward to seeing how his music evolves in the future.

The level of expressive talent and ability that both jake and Kalei have is totally suppressed on their albums and you will be amazed to see them play live.

Top Bottom