How difficult is restringing?

Normagal

Reaction score
I am just beginning with my new Makala Dolphin uke. I have read that the strings that came on it are not good, but don't know if this should be an issue for me or not.

Would you get better strings? Would you recommend trying to restring it yourself? I see directions on line...but am not sure of hard it really is to do the first time. I'm sure I could take it to the local music store to do also.

Oh, the other thing I want to add is that my grandkids come and strum on this...are the black strings easier on fingers than better ones?

Hi Normagal, I would recommend learning how to string a uke yourself. For a Dolphin, get some Aquilas. With the strings that ukes use (non metal) they will be fine for kids.

It's seriously not that hard. Just remember that the strings take about a week or so to settle in, so you'll be doing some fine tuning adjustments during that time.

Oh, and Welcome to Ukulele Underground!

Thanks for the info. would you go ahead and restring it right away? Or are the black strings that come on it ok to start?
I really know nothing about all of this...but I've been reading a lot here. My interest developed when we were on a vacation with folks that are very musical, and I saw how much my grandkids loved it.
We've had a ball with it so far. We've watched some You Tube videos of kids songs- they sit and watch so engrossed.
Learning isn't coming as easy to me as I thought it would, but I intend to keep at it.

Changing strings on a Dolphin uke is pretty easy. Just pay attention to how the strings are tied at the bridge and how they're wound on the headstock posts, and then put the new strings on in the same manner. It might help to loosen all the strings first, then replace them one by one, instead of removing all the strings and then trying to remember how they were strung.

Also, very important on a Makala Dolphin: the little white rings, or washers, at the base of each tuning post are NOT glued on or otherwise attached to the headstock. If you remove the strings, then turn the uke face down, those little washers will fall off and roll away, perhaps never to be found. Trust me, been there done that! :)

Last edited:
I don't have a Dolphin, but this holds true for the various ukes I have: When changing uke strings, it helps to have a good sharp scissor (to cut away the excess string), and a small size needlenose pliers for pulling the strings taut when you're tying knots at the bridge and when you thread them through the hole on the tuning post.

Surgical hemostatis are perfect for restringing - that's not what we used 'em for back in the day but they work really well for guiding the string through the loop and holding it if you don't have a lot of extra string to make a big ole loop.

BTW, everybody calls it "tying" the strings but I'm not sure that's a good nomenclature as I've seen beginners try to tie a square knot in the string and usually end up with it not working well. What you are really doing is "looping" the string through itself two or three times so what you end up with is a sort of braided section over the top of the bridge as you pull the long end that goes to the tuner. The string tension clamps the braided string against the corners of the bridge so it doesn't slip.

Top Bottom