Taking the next step...

Joe90

Reaction score
Hi guys, after playing my makala soprano with martin strings and getting better on it, ive decided to get a new uke.

I feel i want a tenor/ concert as im under the impression they will have a fuller sound?

Need help on a choice of two. Both ill be properly setup and have aquilas on them.
Concert Ukulele Lanikai LU-21C
Concert Ukulele Kala KA-C

I see theyre probably the same uke but rebranded so feel free to offer suggestions of othe ukes around the 100 gbp mark. Thanks joe

Last edited:
Without sounding pushy im going uke shopping tomorow and would appreciate some members input as i dont want an identical quality uke to my makala so if theres any ohe suggestions other than the two i mentioned id be grateful to hear them. Thanks again and sorry for the bump.

Hi guys, after playing my makala soprano with martin strings and getting better on it, ive decided to get a new uke.

I feel i want a tenor/ concert as im under the impression they will have a fuller sound?

Need help on a choice of two. Both ill be properly setup and have aquilas on them.
Concert Ukulele Lanikai LU-21C
Concert Ukulele Kala KA-C

I see theyre probably the same uke but rebranded so feel free to offer suggestions of othe ukes around the 100 gbp mark. Thanks joe

I'm a little confused. Are you looking for a tenor or a concert? You have two concerts listed but, no tenors. I play a tenor because, I llke the warmer deeper tone. Persoanlly, out of the two brands that you listed, I would tend to lean towards the Kala. However, you'll probably get just as many Lanikai fans. I don't think that you could go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
Either a tenor or a concert mate, both those listed can be bought as either a concert or a tenor so i have the choice. I am leaning toward a tenor though, are there any other suggestions on brands? Or are the ones listed a pretty good bet for my budget? Thanks

When I bought my Lanikai, the guy at the store suggested that I play everything and then decide. He was right - it wasn't the colour I would have liked, it didn't have a pickup (he advised just doing it later), but for me it was the sweetest sounding, most comfortable thing they had at the time (they have new stock in now - sooo tempting!!). This was before I knew anything about brands, etc. Since I wasn't going to spend a lot of cash anyways, I'm glad I did it that way.

I suppose i could have a try on a few down there, another one tempting me is the kala ka-tem. I guess ill have a fondle as i dont think im getting anything better for my money.

I have the Kala acacia. It's a lovely ukulele. Build quality is fair. It's not brilliant. But for a step up, it's a nice ukulele. It has a sweet sound with only a tiny bit of sparkle. I think both ukuleles are overbuilt, so to my ear, they sound a bit woofy. But as I say, with that amount of money, I might do the same again. Though Kala does some with softwood tops, and I think those are a cut above sound-wise.

And you're probably about to hear the chorus of Mainland ukuleles, which apparently are ridiculously good value. I've never played one, so can't comment, but these threads usually end up in that direction.

I also prefer concerts over tenors. But that's a thread which has reared its head a few thousand times, so I'd just google that, and read the wisdom of those who have come before. ;)

I suppose i could have a try on a few down there, another one tempting me is the kala ka-tem. I guess ill have a fondle as i dont think im getting anything better for my money.

Play everything in the shop and don''t let the price or brand govern it. You may well find something cheaper in the shop that suits you better. Most of all be open minded, take in sound, feel and looks and try to make a balanced decision. I don't mind admitting I've gone into shops with my mind made up by brand, not tried a variety of instruments and ended up with an expensive uke (or guitar) which i've sold in a matter of months because it's not been for me, lost money on the instrument and bought something cheaper that sounded and felt better.

What is your top budget Joe..that would help alot and you probally are going to the southern uke store...

I dont want to spend anymore than £100 to be honest. And im going to courtney and walkers near me mate due to them doing setups.

Last edited:
If they have Greg bennet ukes (branded samick) you'd do we'll to try them out. I've a concert that cost me £80 a few years ago and it shines!

Top Bottom