Quest for a baritone

Wooville

Reaction score
Maysville, Kentucky "on the banks of the Ohio"
I've decided that my next Uke purchase is going to be a baritone and thought I'd get some input from you fine folk. First, I was looking for a slotted-head baritone, but there doesn't seem to be alot to choose from. I like the Pono, but a little above my budget at near a grand. And then I looked at the Kala for about 1/2 the price. I've listen to a bunch of sound samples and really like the sound and looks of the Ohana BK35, which comes in at around $300, or I really like the looks of the Ohana BK32, which doesn't seem to be readily available, I'm thinking that the model 32 must be an older model? I even talked to Mike at Mainland and thought a slotted head Mainland baritone would be the way to go, and it would be a good match for my Mainland Tenor, but nothing going on Mike's end. Any of you have any input?

Educate Me!
Wooville

I've decided that my next Uke purchase is going to be a baritone and thought I'd get some input from you fine folk. First, I was looking for a slotted-head baritone, but there doesn't seem to be alot to choose from. I like the Pono, but a little above my budget at near a grand. And then I looked at the Kala for about 1/2 the price. I've listen to a bunch of sound samples and really like the sound and looks of the Ohana BK35, which comes in at around $300, or I really like the looks of the Ohana BK32, which doesn't seem to be readily available, I'm thinking that the model 32 must be an older model? I even talked to Mike at Mainland and thought a slotted head Mainland baritone would be the way to go, and it would be a good match for my Mainland Tenor, but nothing going on Mike's end. Any of you have any input?

Educate Me!
Wooville

I bought a baratone a couple of months ago from Hawaii Music Supply. It is a Pono solid acacia baritone. The last time I looked they were selling for $379. It doesn't have the slotted head but, it has wonderful tone. The construction and finish is perfect and I like the fact that it has a titanium truss rod in the neck. I couldn't try one because, there aren't any dealers here so, I ordered it based on what I had read. I was not disappointed and it's just what I wanted. So, I would suggest a Pono.

Oh and I forgot to mention that it doesn't have the shiny gloss finish or all the bling but, it more than makes up for it in sound.

Last edited:
My wife and I have been playing our solid Acacia Kala KA-ASAC-B baris (slotted headstock) for a year and are extremely pleased with them. We got them from Austin Bazaar in Texas. I think we paid around $325 for the uke, gigbag, and tuner. I think their prices are somewhat negotiable. We're very pleased with the build quality and the way they have opened up over the last year. We prefer D' Addario strings and tune DGBE. Try one out if you can. Their return policy might let you try it and return it, but I'm not sure. I think this is a great bang for the buck. Good luck.

Educate Me!
Wooville

I agree lulu, this is a great instrument at a fantastic price from a stand up guy. Be hard to find a better deal than this one...

Thanks for the marketing boost, Linda and Jon! If I were the OP, I'd be tempted by the Kala solid acacia baritone with the slotted headstock (if it's available), as it seems to have the aesthetics the OP wants, and Kala's solid acacia instruments (I have a slotted headstock tenor) are pretty and sound great. On the other hand, Ohana BK-35 solid mahogany baritone (the model I'm selling in the marketplace) may be one of the least expensive solid wood baritones on the market, and the lower voice of the baritone sounds great in mahogany. No slotted headstock, though, and I do understand the role aesthetics plays in a decision to buy an instrument.

Top Bottom