Something snacked on my uke!

didgeridoo2

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I usually keep a uke at work and yesterday I brought in my Kiwaya KS1 and I left it here overnight. When I came in this morning, I picked up the uke and noticed that something had nibbled on my headstock and on the corner of the soundbox. We don't have any rodent problems that I can tell and I saw no droppings, so I wonder if an insect could have done this last night. I did leave it sitting in the soft case which I left open under my desk.

Anybody have this happen to them? Any suggestions as to what may have caused this? I live in Southern California and we do have insects that snack on wood.

I guess my beater uke has a bit more personality now. Still sounds and plays well!

IMAG0874.jpg

IMAG0875.jpgIMAG0877.jpg

My first guess would be a rodent, judging by those symmetrical marks on the lower bout. It looks like something grabbed the edge and chomped down with upper and lower incisors. Craziness!

I'm not an insectologist, but it looks like the work of a ukenivore.

Hi folks.

I usually keep a uke at work and yesterday I brought in my Kiwaya KS1 and I left it here overnight. When I came in this morning, I picked up the uke and noticed that something had nibbled on my headstock and on the corner of the soundbox. We don't have any rodent problems that I can tell and I saw no droppings, so I wonder if an insect could have done this last night. I did leave it sitting in the soft case which I left open under my desk.

Anybody have this happen to them? Any suggestions as to what may have caused this? I live in Southern California and we do have insects that snack on wood.

I guess my beater uke has a bit more personality now. Still sounds and plays well!

View attachment 43644

View attachment 43642View attachment 43643

I think you have a rodent problem. Is it an office building? What other businesses are in the building?

I think you have a rodent problem. Is it an office building? What other businesses are in the building?

Not an office building. We do have a restaurant across the street and a new business opened up next door. They sell vapor cigarette stuff and oxygen and I'm not really sure what they do to tell you the truth. They are called the vapor spot. Otherwise, there's nothing in here that a rodent would be interested in, since we sell high end fitness equipment. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on things.

mmmm Jeff, those Kiwayas are pretty yummy :drool:

beater uke? That one's an 'eater' uke :p

Last edited:
Oh man that is a nightmare. Shudder.

could be a new, hungry arrival. varmints hitch a ride in packing boxes and can get through remarkably tight openings. one could have even hitched a ride in a new treadmill or exercise bike. I'd get a mousetrap and obviously keep the case zipped .Or you might consider getting the little guy a cheesy little uke of it's own. btw, Kiwaya makes a nice uke.

Are you positive the marks are critter-caused? Any chance it could be zipper rash from the soft case? Just playing devil's advocate, here....

Are you positive the marks are critter-caused? Any chance it could be zipper rash from the soft case? Just playing devil's advocate, here....

No, there are little scraps of wood inside the case. Pretty sure it was dinner for something. It has been ridiculously hot here and the critter could be driven inside because of the 100+ degree temps we've been having.

No, there are little scraps of wood inside the case. Pretty sure it was dinner for something. It has been ridiculously hot here and the critter could be driven inside because of the 100+ degree temps we've been having.

We're in California. Other people get a little "sensitive" when we complain about heat. They always pull the humidity card on us :)

Looks like a critter did it. Get a trap and find out!

I have to jump on the mouse bandwagon here. That lower bout damage is definitely upper and lower teeth work. Get yourself some snap traps.

The have a heart traps never work for me. Whenever I caught a mouse it would have a heart attack and die in there, even if it was only in there a few moments.

Agreed, that's mouse damage. Mice will chew on anything and everything. Mice can be quite innocuous and you can have them for a long time without realizing they are there. I find glue traps work better than snap traps, but unfortunately, they don't kill the mouse, so you'll have a live and very upset mouse to deal with. Also, if you think you have a mouse, you almost certainly have mice (plural).

I've seen a field mouse trapped in a car parts store - so I don't think they have to have food motivation to want in. The lack of food actually might be why he decided to try your uke - more tasty than metal and rubber gym equipment.

Hmmmm...do you have any coworkers with teething children?...

I think you've got meeces and they're gonna eat your uke to pieces...

John

Top Bottom