D'Addario strings

cs1x

Reaction score
how do these strings sound on a concert uke (KoAloha)? What is the difference between D'Addario's Pro Arte and the regular D'Addario?

Just My Opinion

how do these strings sound on a concert uke (KoAloha)? What is the difference between D'Addario's Pro Arte and the regular D'Addario?

I have played the D'Addario's and didnt like them. I would also not recommend the Martin Strings either. the on set of string i like are the ghs strings. they seem to be the cheaper brand (money wise) but the are alot stiffer that the others. all the other ive tried seem to be tuned but the strings feel real loose. Maybe its just me... But i would suggest the GHS strings for sure.

Howlie Boy:cool:

I would also not recommend the Martin Strings either. the on set of string i like are the ghs strings. they seem to be the cheaper brand (money wise) but the are alot stiffer that the others. Howlie Boy:cool:

martins seem like they are fishing wire. VERY cheap strings

i asked aldrine this question and was lucky enough to get it answered on one of the iamhawaii lessons..episode 4 if you wanna watch it.. but i also tried the d'addarios on my concert koaloha anyways and like aldrine said it wasnt that great. check out worthstrings.com though. i put a set of those on my concert and it really made a difference

i checked out worthstrings.com and there are a lot of clears. Which one gives a better sound?

i checked out worthstrings.com and there are a lot of clears. Which one gives a better sound?

Also try out Koolau golds. I have them on my Koaloha concert....nice!

i asked aldrine this question and was lucky enough to get it answered on one of the iamhawaii lessons..episode 4 if you wanna watch it.. but i also tried the d'addarios on my concert koaloha anyways and like aldrine said it wasnt that great. check out worthstrings.com though. i put a set of those on my concert and it really made a difference

On that episode, what strings does he use from the pack of 6?

if you watch the very end blooper part he tells you

he says he uses two E strings.

so does he use the lowest string of the guitar and the highest? Do you know what I mean?

ya if you want a nice warm sound wit good volume, try da koolau golds. I like um planny.

+1 one the KOOLAU gold !!

Yesterday, I took the D"Addarios off my Koaloha tenor and replaced them with Koolau golds....wow....it is a new instrument now! The D'Addarios were completely flat....no bueno!!:eek:

My tenor sounds alive finally!

I really don't understand why everyone seems to overlook the Koolau golds. I have them on two of my ukes now.....after trying nearly every brand. I really like them.....warm...yet alive.

Note: I had to use an Aquila 3rd string on my tenor because the Koolau 3rd string got used at another time....long story. The mix sounds great. I am assuming that if I did use a Koolau gold as a 3rd string...it would sound just as great.

I find that I like that random Aquila white string in the 3rd spot also visually. It helps locate the string if you ever need to look....it really stands out...

Last edited:
D'Addario Pro Artes in the classical/nylon string guitar world enjoy a certain rep, but with not a few folks, an unexamined rep. I think the best sense of them can be found on stringsbymail.com where they are regarded as a kind of "neutral" string in terms of tonality and coloration and yeah, great on a great guitar...and on most ukes? Good thread to offer and consider other options.

I put some D'Adds Pro Arte on my OU5. I got some terrible fret buzz. I asked around on the forums and decided to replace with some Aquilas. They sound ten times better and do not buzz. Plus, they didn't take as long to stay in tune as the Pro Artes. I would put a vote against D'add and vote for Aquila.

I've tried just about everything out there on my Ko'olau pineapple concert and Kamaka tenor - fluorocarbon, nylon, nyxxx, and the best sound and feel for my taste are the new, Ko'olau "Alohi" or the "Mahana". Yep, better than Ko'olau Gold.

D'Addario Pro Artes in the classical/nylon string guitar world enjoy a certain rep, but with not a few folks, an unexamined rep. I think the best sense of them can be found on stringsbymail.com where they are regarded as a kind of "neutral" string in terms of tonality and coloration and yeah, great on a great guitar...and on most ukes? Good thread to offer and consider other options.

To my ear the D'Addario Pro Artes have a clear tone, but little sustain. They were not as good as Worth CM on my Kamaka Concert. I think they would be great for finger picking on an amped uke with a pickup (which is probably how they got such a good rep). D'Addario also supply the Kamaka strings that most people do like so much.

I use the Worth browns (instead of clears) if a uke is a little to bright and I want to add warmth. I enjoy the browns better than the clears on my Mya-moe SS.

One string set I'm pretty sure I don't like are the Aquila bionylons, the Nylgut are great.

Top Bottom