New to building: First two attempts at tenor ukulele

Habanera Hal

Reaction score
As said, I'm new to true lutherie. I've built cigar box guitars and ukes for about a year and wanted to step up my skill set. The master builders here will probably think my efforts are crude, but I've had fun with them and have learned a lot, and each one gets better.

My first - Walnut sides with lacewood back and top, maple neck, wenge fretboard and bridge, bolt-on style neck. The rosette and headstock binding are pearl white acrylic:

Christmas Ukes 073.jpg

Christmas Ukes 074.jpg

Christmas Ukes 075.jpg

My second - Bookmatched bloodwood sides and back, spruce top, cherry neck, wenge fretboard and bridge, Spanish-style neck attachment. I made the rosette from ebony, maple and bloodwood purfling:

Christmas Ukes 090.jpg

Christmas Ukes 104.jpg

Thank you for looking, and I appreciate all comments.

That's a nice looking uke! Don't think I could do that well...

Real nice Hal, you should be proud. Just as a suggestion for next time (and I'm betting there will be plenty of next times) you might want to make sure the backs of your necks are nicely rounded. Square necks are uncomfortable to play.
Nice details in the head stock too.

Great Work Hal. I like the Bozo Podunuvac style bodies too. I am going to do a necomplete neck carving video soon that will explain all if you are at all nervous about getting that round to the back.

The lacewood was used for the top and back - no bending there. The sides on that one are walnut which bent easily (my first time using heat and a mold, btw) Now the one with bloodwood sides was a whole different story. VERY difficult. Bloodwood is much harder than walnut and I cracked two sets in the bending jig before getting it right. I have another set made of cherry in the mold now (2 weeks) that went well except for one spot I scorched on the bending pipe. Hopefully it will sand out when I pop it out of the mold.

Thanks Chuck. I appreciate your comment about the neck, I think it's the (poor) lighting and lacquer finish that's making the back of the neck look square. I spent a lot of time with rasp, sure-form and sander to get a smooth D-shape to the underside.

Great Work Hal. I like the Bozo Podunuvac style bodies too. I am going to do a necomplete neck carving video soon that will explain all if you are at all nervous about getting that round to the back.

Thank you, Pete. I've been admiring your work while lurking here for the past few months and it has been an inspiration. I've never heard of a "Bozo Podunuvac" body style before until I just Googled it - some beautiful guitars there. I used my Kamoa dreadnought grand concert as the outline for building my mold.

Here are a couple of pics of a neck in progress for my next build. Hopefully they show the shaping I've done a bit better.
Christmas Ukes #3 001.jpgChristmas Ukes #3 002.jpgChristmas Ukes #3 005.jpg

Nicely done HAL.
I've used bloodwood on a parlor guitar with ebony binding and it is great looking stuff, but heavy and hard to bend. Well done mate

Well done Hal. You learn a lot on each build don't you?
Thank you Doug. Indeed you do learn a lot. Impatience and finishing have always been my downfalls and I'm finally learning not to rush things.

Top Bottom