Hey Mike,
No forget da peekchas bruddah....all excited now woo hoo

erivel
10-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Looking forward to the review Mike!

MGM
10-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Looking forward to the review Mike!

I can already tell you since I played the advance models that they are virtually koalohas just made with mahogany or sapele. The tone is pure koaloha and undoubtedly one of the best imports in the soprano and concert size available today...by the way. This is just part of the story as these will be in limited edition as they will be soon known as koaloha jr's in the future.

Mouthy1
10-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Will be looking forward to pix and review. Great news Mike!

Lalz
10-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Can't wait for the review either! So exciting!! I've seen some pictures on the Baan Ukulele website and they look gorgeous!

bazmaz
10-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Want!

(Yet more for the collection!)

King David
10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
MGM, only soprano and concert available atm??

OldePhart
10-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Dang you Mike! I suspect I'm going to be calling you about a mahogany concert...like I really need one... :( :)

MGM
10-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Dang you Mike! I suspect I'm going to be calling you about a mahogany concert...like I really need one... :( :)

I just filled the Company van with all the Koalonas and they are at our internet warehouse and at our store for sale...No they do not plan to make tenors yet....maybe down the road....

ukuloonie
10-03-2012, 04:15 PM
I cant see them where can I see them?

peewee
10-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Some building pics here:
http://baanukulele.com/blog.htm

MGM
10-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Some building pics here:

ebay or amazon has them

coolkayaker1
10-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Some building pics here:

R U getting one, PeeWee?

Seriously, how can a $370 KoAlana concert solid body mahogany ukulele that looks and plays similarly to a koa KoAloha not undercut sales of the newly priced $900 KoAloha concert? I don't see any logic to this business model.

Trust me, if someone enters the KoAloha ohana at the $370 level, then saves enough dough for a premium uke, I think they will be looking at a different K brand, rather than buying something nearly identical to what they already have for 250% more.

P.S> Here's a sound sample of the KoAlana./ Sounds sweet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gp9pS9wZ_M

Doc_J
10-03-2012, 05:35 PM
ebay or amazon has them

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=Koalana&_sacat=0&_from=R40

ukuloonie
10-03-2012, 05:54 PM
thanks I sees them now.

tigersister
10-03-2012, 06:26 PM
R U getting one, PeeWee?

Seriously, how can a $370 KoAlana concert solid body mahogany ukulele that looks and plays similarly to a koa KoAloha not undercut sales of the newly priced $900 KoAloha concert? I don't see any logic to this business model.

Trust me, if someone enters the KoAloha ohana at the $370 level, then saves enough dough for a premium uke, I think they will be looking at a different K brand, rather than buying something nearly identical to what they already have for 250% more.

Thanks for the sound sample. It does sound great.

These videos of little kids who can beat the pants off me with their playing almost makes me think I should hang up my uke though. Heh!

guitharsis
10-04-2012, 12:06 AM
R U getting one, PeeWee?

Uke sounds sweet. Little girl is amazing, so talented!

AndrewKuker
10-04-2012, 03:31 AM
Video 4 u....

http://youtu.be/WLeb-O478nk

Alex13
10-04-2012, 03:49 AM
They look and sound awesome. Bet they'll sell quick at that price.

Lalz
10-04-2012, 04:11 AM
Great video! I love that you bought the whole US stock hehe :)
Do they have any plans to make them in other tonewoods in the future? Acacia would be nice.

MisterRios
10-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Oh my! I thought they looked awesome and then MGM pulls out that sweet one with the brilliant KOA wood. Don't get me wrong, they still look awesome.

But the sound- I have to get one, even though I'm not a fan of non-pineapples at all...

Also, was great to see the detail of the uke in 1080HD. The only thing stopping me is that I recently bought another uke. Great, great work guys!

coolkayaker1
10-04-2012, 07:10 AM
As usual, the great people at HMS have the newest ukes and wonderful videos That was superb, Mike.

What tuners does that have (looks not to be the standard KoAloha)?

Do they still have the KoAloha Better Than The Weather warranty?

PedalFreak
10-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Do they still have the KoAloha Better Than The Weather warranty?

Curious about this as well. Man, may have another uke in the future!

You get your KoAloha Tenor? How you liking it? Love mine! Just got a set of PHD strings for it, going to try those on it next.

erivel
10-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the video Mike...oh so tempting!

OldePhart
10-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Hmmm. I just went to ebay and searched on these so I could add to my watch list so if I have the gravy payday after paying bills I could order one. I noticed that the picture for the soprano is a little scary. It may be just an unfortunate dark streak along the edge of the fretboard but in the picture it certainly looks like the fretboard binding is pulled loose from the seventh fret all the way past the 12th.

Like I said, I can't tell for sure and it could be an unfortunately positioned very dark streak in the fretboard - even zoomed in on the pictures I couldn't tell for sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-KoALANA-by-KOALOHA-SOPRANO-UKULELE-w-CASE-ships-USA-FREE-HMS-setup-/130777676810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e72f4fc0a

John

siauke
10-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Good eye! It looks like a crack but I'm sure HMS & KoAloha will take the return but I doubt HMS would ship it out!

Hippie Dribble
10-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Hmmm. I just went to ebay and searched on these so I could add to my watch list so if I have the gravy payday after paying bills I could order one. I noticed that the picture for the soprano is a little scary. It may be just an unfortunate dark streak along the edge of the fretboard but in the picture it certainly looks like the fretboard binding is pulled loose from the seventh fret all the way past the 12th.

Like I said, I can't tell for sure and it could be an unfortunately positioned very dark streak in the fretboard - even zoomed in on the pictures I couldn't tell for sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-KoALANA-by-KOALOHA-SOPRANO-UKULELE-w-CASE-ships-USA-FREE-HMS-setup-/130777676810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e72f4fc0a

John

I agree mate. Something going on with that uke or that pic. John, NEVER stop being the Opinionator, we love you brother. But from my experiences with HMS they would never send one out like that anyway, if what you observe is correct. It does make one question why they went with that particular image as the showpiece though...

coolkayaker1
10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Curious about this as well. Man, may have another uke in the future!

You get your KoAloha Tenor? How you liking it? Love mine! Just got a set of PHD strings for it, going to try those on it next.

Should coem any day, Pedal. I'm excited/ Thanks for asking...PhD strings. Hmm, I'll have to check those out.

Serious q, PF: Kamaka Tenor, Pono MHTSH, KoAloha Tenor...you can only keep one. The rest go. Which would you keep? Thx

ukegirl
10-04-2012, 05:08 PM
And its good to see MGM looking well! Thanks for the review....!!

Nickie
10-04-2012, 05:34 PM

John

OMG that's tempting...

haolejohn
10-04-2012, 06:11 PM
R U getting one, PeeWee?

Well let's see if the islander has hurt Kanile'a's business...nope.

THe import will be exactly what it is an import of mahogany. I have been wanting a nice mahogany ukulele by a K brand for awhile and now I get my wish.

I don't care what anyone says, there is a difference between an import and a Hawaiian made uke.

haolejohn
10-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Should coem any day, Pedal. I'm excited/ Thanks for asking...PhD strings. Hmm, I'll have to check those out.

Serious q, PF: Kamaka Tenor, Pono MHTSH, KoAloha Tenor...you can only keep one. The rest go. Which would you keep? Thx
I've owned ukes by all three of these companies. I loved my Kamaka (traded it for an ana'ole tenor) and I sold my koaloha to pay off some bills. The pono I got rid of shortly after buying it. It just didn't do it for me. If I had to choose it would be between the Koaloha and kamaka and I would choose the prettier one unless the koaloha had a crown bridge.
then I'd keep the koaloha.

joekulele
10-04-2012, 07:34 PM
It is good to see MGM looking so well. Thank God! That being said, the difference between the import and the original is very distinct. Gotta love that koa!
-joe

1300cc
10-04-2012, 07:38 PM
the specs of the concert says "figured mahogany body" what does it mean.?

AndrewKuker
10-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Hmmm. I just went to ebay and searched on these so I could add to my watch list so if I have the gravy payday after paying bills I could order one. I noticed that the picture for the soprano is a little scary.

Super crazy, I think Mike has to make a white background for Amazon got a weird wash out. those pics are horrible. (He runs the store while posting sometimes) BUT that ones binding…we would never send that out, and that is one of two flaws I have seen so far from very many. Murphy's law

Also the 'figured mahogany" has been changed. These woods are often interchanged in the guitar world. Martin often calls sapele- mahogany, but it's sapele, very much like African mahogany in look and density.

I don't care what anyone says, there is a difference between an import and a Hawaiian made uke.

Agreed, though these were made in large part by KoAloha Hawaiian workers. KoAloha bought the factory space, installed machinery and set up the stations and jigs, tooled it. All while finding the right wood workers to train, and then working along side them. This is practically unheard of. It goes beyond the term "importing". It is almost like…. extending.

Mike has been excited for these for a while and I figured they would be good. But I seriously love this concert. The KoAloha's sound with the warm tonal qualities of this wood…. The Okamis' are legendary status for me already. They just keep coming with the coolest….

coolkayaker1
10-05-2012, 01:38 AM
MGM or Andrew, does it have the legendary Koaloha Better Than Weather warranty? Thx.

Linho
10-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Hhhmmm, if I get a concert one shipped to Germany I will pay shipping, toll and taxes it will cost me more than $500, that's about 50% more than the original price. :rolleyes:

MGM, what would you say happens to the other 400 KoAlanas? Will you get them too? Do you think there's one left in June next year? ;)

PedalFreak
10-05-2012, 06:49 AM

If I only had to have one, it'd be my Kamaka. Wouldn't need to think about it. The KoAloha, I actually prefer the neck a little more, and it is louder. Would love to have Kamaka build me a custom uke one day. I'd bring Casey my Kamaka and KoAloha. Would like the neck inbetween the two, that'd be perfect! But the Kamaka was bought when my wife and I were in Kauai and Oahu, a few months after we were married, it's dated the friday before we were married. And we've got a lot of stories from that trip, I majorly hurt my back, it was in March 2011 when the Tsunami scare happened. So I love that uke, and it's got a lot of sentimental value for me. Uncle Fred Kamaka signed the back of the headstock for me. I'd be perfectly happy with only my Kamaka.

I bought the KoAloha as a Low G instrument, I've loved them for that. They seem to have more warmth than the Kamaka's, Kamaka's are brighter. And the Pono I love, was iffy for awhile, then I tried Aaron's (from HMS) string set, and the uke came alive!

Here are a couple photos, my Kamaka and my KoAloha:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p571/aaronhwarren/IMGP0603.jpg http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p571/aaronhwarren/03.jpg

coolkayaker1
10-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Nice replies, haolejohn and Pedal. Thanks. I have never tried a Kamaka, that is why I asked. I adore the depth of my Ponos, and the spirit of the Koalohas.

siauke
10-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Mahalo for clearing that up, Andrew. Ordered one. Can't wait to try it out!

haolejohn
10-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Super crazy, I think Mike has to make a white background for Amazon got a weird wash out. those pics are horrible. (He runs the store while posting sometimes) BUT that ones binding…we would never send that out, and that is one of two flaws I have seen so far from very many. Murphy's law

Also the 'figured mahogany" has been changed. These woods are often interchanged in the guitar world. Martin often calls sapele- mahogany, but it's sapele, very much like African mahogany in look and density.

Agreed, though these were made in large part by KoAloha Hawaiian workers. KoAloha bought the factory space, installed machinery and set up the stations and jigs, tooled it. All while finding the right wood workers to train, and then working along side them. This is practically unheard of. It goes beyond the term "importing". It is almost like…. extending.

Mike has been excited for these for a while and I figured they would be good. But I seriously love this concert. The KoAloha's sound with the warm tonal qualities of this wood…. The Okamis' are legendary status for me already. They just keep coming with the coolest….

THere is a reason that Koaloha stopped these ukes the first two times they ventured out there. They ukes weren't being built to their standards. I'll buy one soon. I have wanted a K brand uke in mahogany. Now I can.

AndrewKuker
10-05-2012, 03:13 PM
MGM or Andrew, does it have the legendary Koaloha Better Than Weather warranty? Thx.

Yes! I just found out that they come with the same warranty as KoAloha. Thanks for asking

OldePhart
10-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Yeah...I trust you guys. I haven't purchased from HMS but Mike sold me my first good uke when he had his own eBay store and a few after that and I know y'all shoot square. I just thought maybe somebody should point out the wonky picture as it's crazy enough to be maybe scaring some folks off.

I'm probably going to order a concert mid-month if funds allow.

BTW, somebody mentioned the obvious difference between the KoAlona and the KoAloha in Mike's video... One of the things to keep in mind is that a sound sample via YouTube and your typical consumer camera is really not very meaningful, when you get right down to it. You can somewhat judge timbre (what some folks call "tone") but not volume because of the built in AGC and compression in consumer cameras. That's not even considering how badly YouTube mangles the audio during their compression...

However, those are merely the technical aspects. There is also the very simple fact that as musicians we tend to subconsciously play to an instrument's strength - some express it as "the instrument plays us even as we play it." This will show up even in a carefully controlled studio recording setup. In short, if an instrument's strong point is a bright and punchy sound, we will play it that way, tending to strum and pluck in a way that emphasizes that bright and punchy sound. If an instrument's strong point is a warm and smooth timbre we will tend to play to that and avoid "plucky" playing.

In short, even if the technical factors are all controlled, a human being is probably going to play a mahogany uke and a koa uke differently without even realizing that they are doing so. I have two very nearly identical sopranos - a mango and a mahogany from the same manufacturer - both are great ukes but the mango lends itself to punchy stuff while I find myself playing the mahogany differently; with a little softer strum, fewer triplets, and plucking individual strings with the pad of my finger instead of fingernail. I find that not only will I reach for one or the other for particular songs - I also find that I will play the same song a little differently depending on which uke is in my hands.

Just some thoughts...my $0.02...or maybe $0.25 with inflation. :)

John

didgeridoo2
10-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I'd like to see a comparison video between the new KoAlana and an Islander all hog uke. The KoAlanas look great and sound good, and there's definitely a difference between the KoAloha and the KoAlana. As there should be.

Doc_J
10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
I'd like to see a comparison video between the new KoAlana and an Islander all hog uke. The KoAlanas look great and sound good, and there's definitely a difference between the KoAloha and the KoAlana. As there should be.

I'd like to see a comparison between the KoAlana, Pono Mahogany, and Islander: 3 highly rated mahogany imports associated with a K-brand.
(I wonder if Kamaka has one in the works :) . )

I have the Pono MC (one of the blems) and it is great sounding uke for the money.

AndrewKuker
10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah...I trust you guys. I haven't purchased from HMS but Mike sold me my first good uke when he had his own eBay store and a few after that and I know y'all shoot square. I just thought maybe somebody should point out the wonky picture as it's crazy enough to be maybe scaring some folks off

I'm probably going to order a concert mid-month if funds allow.

BTW, somebody mentioned the obvious difference between the KoAlona and the KoAloha in Mike's video... One of the things to keep in mind is that a sound sample via YouTube and your typical consumer camera is really not very meaningful, when you get right down to it. You can somewhat judge timbre (what some folks call "tone") but not volume because of the built in AGC and compression in consumer cameras. That's not even considering how badly YouTube mangles the audio during their compression...

However, those are merely the technical aspects. There is also the very simple fact that as musicians we tend to subconsciously play to an instrument's strength - some express it as "the instrument plays us even as we play it." This will show up even in a carefully controlled studio recording setup. In short, if an instrument's strong point is a bright and punchy sound, we will play it that way, tending to strum and pluck in a way that emphasizes that bright and punchy sound. If an instrument's strong point is a warm and smooth timbre we will tend to play to that and avoid "plucky" playing.

In short, even if the technical factors are all controlled, a human being is probably going to play a mahogany uke and a koa uke differently without even realizing that they are doing so. I have two very nearly identical sopranos - a mango and a mahogany from the same manufacturer - both are great ukes but the mango lends itself to punchy stuff while I find myself playing the mahogany differently; with a little softer strum, fewer triplets, and plucking individual strings with the pad of my finger instead of fingernail. I find that not only will I reach for one or the other for particular songs - I also find that I will play the same song a little differently depending on which uke is in my hands.

Just some thoughts...my $0.02...or maybe $0.25 with inflation. :)

John

Hey John, Thanks for your comments. I have thought about these things quite a bit.

First off, I haven't used camera audio in years. I sync a separate audio because the compression with a camera is pretty ridiculous. It baffles me that people even make sound samples with a camera. I run a Rode NT4 mic into a zoom external and sync it after. External mic's also compress but I found the NT4 to be much much less than what you normally get even with other rode mic's. The waves were put into final cut and totally untouched for this video. (sometimes I raise levels at that point but not for this video). Youtube squashes as does every other video streaming site but this will be closer to truth than your average upload. For whatever that's worth because in the end most people aren't listening through studio monitors or high quality headphones and the results are marred by computer speakers.

I don't think Mike played different for these. The KoAlana and KoAloha come through very true to character. But he just strummed. So it wasn't an extensive comparison. And each player plays differently. The articulate quality of KoAloha (Koa) would shine when fingerpicked but the fullness of Mahogany really comes through when strummed.

I am recording Corey tonight on a number of different ukes including these. But Corey does what you were talking about earlier with playing to an instruments strength. Actually Aaron often asks the uke- "What do you want to play?" It's hard to give any of these instruments justice when being viewed on two dimensions and heard through little speakers. It's an ongoing effort.

OldePhart
10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I am recording Corey tonight on a number of different ukes including these. But Corey does what you were talking about earlier with playing to an instruments strength. Actually Aaron often asks the uke- "What do you want to play?" It's hard to give any of these instruments justice when being viewed on two dimensions and heard through little speakers. It's an ongoing effort.

Yep, agree wholeheartedly there. Also looking forward to seeing the new videos of Corey - that is one talented young man! I'd love to have just a fraction of his talent.

I've found that if you make MP3s at highest quality and upload them to audio-only sites like soundcloud.com they seem (so far, at least) not to apply any further compression. Of course, you don't get video but you do get a more realistic impression of what the audio sounds like. Enough so that I realized on about the third or fourth listen to one of my own clips that the buzzing I thought was poor technique on my baritone was actually a particular note buzzing because the lead to a soundboard pickup I'd just installed was vibrating against one of the top braces. I couldn't hear it acousticaly but could in the recorded audio, even though I was listening to the audio at soundcloud instead of the original on myh own computer.

Love the Rode Mic's BTW, have a friend with a pair of the large condensor ones (NT 1?) - I'd like to try an M3 one of these days but I have to quit buying ukes to afford the microphone! LOL

John

good_uke_boy
10-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Ordered a concert on Amazon, and it shipped on Friday. Can't wait.

siauke
10-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Thanks Andrew,
Obviously the best way to test an instrument is in person but for those of us not "lucky to live Hawaii" HMS video reviews are a great resource. Plus you have a good return policy so no worries!

Shazzbot
10-09-2012, 07:25 AM
I just ordered a concert this morning from HMS.
Why hasn't it shipped yet???
I can't stand this long wait!!!

coolkayaker1
10-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Yep, agree wholeheartedly there. Also looking forward to seeing the new videos of Corey - that is one talented young man! I'd love to have just a fraction of his talent.

John

I'm fortunate -- I do have a fraction of his talent. 1/10,000,000th .

Looking forward to reviews of the KoAlanas. Happy to have a retailer as honest and strong as HMS being the supplier to the world on this one.

Shazzbot
10-10-2012, 07:59 AM
It shipped yesterday!
Will arrive tomorrow!
Whoop de flippin' Doo!

oahugrl
10-10-2012, 11:19 AM
My concert KoAlana
also arrives tomorrow. Can't wait!

Dan Uke
10-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Here's a sound sample of the older Kolana compared to other concert ukes...if it sounds anywhere close to this, it's a winner! I actually like the sound of the hog best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoOyEfLhvXU

leokiekie
10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Just got my Koalana concert in. This thing sounds better than my KoAloha tenor. Warm, open, and loud. Amazing deal. I hope and pray that they will make a tenor. I'd seriously buy two and string one low g and one high g for the price of my KoAloha. Get one before they're gone. Seriously.

coolkayaker1
10-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Just got my Koalana concert in. This thing sounds better than my KoAloha tenor. Warm, open, and loud. Amazing deal. I hope and pray that they will make a tenor. I'd seriously buy two and string one low g and one high g for the price of my KoAloha. Get one before they're gone. Seriously.
If what you're saying is true, then good old Koaloha has just cannabalized it's own ukulele sales ( precisely as I, wickedwahine, and several others have predicted).

we tigers
10-12-2012, 02:45 AM
the video on the HMS site is really impressive!

leokiekie
10-12-2012, 09:38 AM
If what you're saying is true, then good old Koaloha has just cannabalized it's own ukulele sales ( precisely as I, wickedwahine, and several others have predicted).

I totally agree with you. Why buy a KoAloha when you can buy a Koalana that looks, feels, and sounds like one AND has the same warranty? I think KoAloha knows how good these sound. That's why I think they're a limited release of only 600. If they come out with a tenor, I'm buying it then I'm selling my Kanile'a, KoAloha, Kamaka, and Martin 2T. I'll only keep my two custom Compass Rose tenors.

good_uke_boy
10-12-2012, 10:20 AM
I just received my new KoAlana concert, delivered to the office from HMS (and purchased through Amazon). So far, I'm very impressed. It looks, feels, and sounds very much like a KoAloha concert, which I also own. A thorough test drive will have to wait, though. Like my KoAloha, the KoAlana is LOUD. I took one strum and had to stop. Can't let people know that the "boss" is a closet uker. That knowledge would destroy my reputation as a stern workaholic type.

katysax
10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Koaloha has not necessarily cannibalized its premium line. I've got a Koaloha Soprano, Tenor and Concert. The Koalana looks and sounds fantastic. But. It's definitely "unfinished" in appearance compared to the Koaloha and clearly made of inferior materials. There is always a market for Koa vs. Mahogany and gloss vs. satin and premium vs. basic.

Both Kanilea and Koolau have gone the direction of spec'ing a less expensive uke, and both have interesting and good products. However, Koaloha is doing something different, they are offering a lower cost version of their main line. Potentially it is a smart strategy because following the other approach would have led to a "me too" product line.

OldePhart
10-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah...I don't think KoAlana is going to cut far into KoAloha sales. There is simply way too much difference between Koa and Mahogany as you could clearly hear in Mike's video in spite of YouTube's best efforts to conserve bandwidth :) .

I still want a KoAlana but no way would I trade my KoAloha for one - and not for price reasons. The KoAlana and KoAloha are different in much the same way that my Mainland mahogany soprano is a completely different animal from my Mainland mango soprano in spite of their being constructed identically.

John

Lalz
10-12-2012, 12:51 PM
OAAARRGHHGAAAH!!!! I've tried to resist but I can't stand it anymore!!! Forget the rent, forget food, forget heating, water and electricity bills. I NEED TO GET MYSELF A KOALOHA/KOALANA CONCERT IN SATIN FINISH!! NOWWW!!!!! :iwant:

Plainsong
10-12-2012, 01:33 PM
OAAARRGHHGAAAH!!!! I've tried to resist but I can't stand it anymore!!! Forget the rent, forget food, forget heating, water and electricity bills. I NEED TO GET MYSELF A KOALOHA/KOALANA CONCERT IN SATIN FINISH!! NOWWW!!!!! :iwant:

I wish I could tell you that you need to be an adult here and think of the adult things first... but I would never talk someone out of a Koaloha concert. And with my love of mahogany as a tonewood, I wouldn't talk anyone out of a Koalana either, even having never heard it.

With these lower priced import ukes, I really worry about factory conditions. While it's true that a nice uke probably means it was built at a nice place, we just don't know for sure, and the fact that so few of us give a toss about that really bothers me. But with the Koalana, it's much less of a worry. Koaloha tooled the place, had their own crew there for long term... it seems they're doing it the Koaloha Way, and I'd be as surprised as anyone if conditions were poor at such a place as that.

oahugrl
10-12-2012, 01:45 PM
I received my KoAlana concert yesterday. Also own a Pono Mahagony Pro Classic. The Pono is drop dead gorgeous while the KoAlana is very plain. But the sound is all that matters to me and the KoAlana blows away my Pono.

Lalz
10-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I wish I could tell you that you need to be an adult here and think of the adult things first... but I would never talk someone out of a Koaloha concert. And with my love of mahogany as a tonewood, I wouldn't talk anyone out of a Koalana either, even having never heard it.

Hmpf. A quick look at my bank account balance has calmed me down quite drastically :( Going back to being a responsible adult. :wallbash:

With these lower priced import ukes, I really worry about factory conditions. While it's true that a nice uke probably means it was built at a nice place, we just don't know for sure, and the fact that so few of us give a toss about that really bothers me. But with the Koalana, it's much less of a worry. Koaloha tooled the place, had their own crew there for long term... it seems they're doing it the Koaloha Way, and I'd be as surprised as anyone if conditions were poor at such a place as that.

I saw some pictures on a blog of the factory in which the KoAlanas are made. Seemed to be a good place, not too different from how I imagine the KoAloha factory must looks like. But it's an important point you're raising, definitely. It would be interesting to know more about the conditions under which factory ukes are produced in the East. I'd hate it if ukes were produced under conditions similar to those under which certain smart phones with a fruit as a logotype are made. Affordable is good, but not at all costs. We must just keep in mind though that Asia is huge and that there are many different factories, some better than others, some worse. This one defo seems to be one of the good ones.

siauke
10-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Congratulations to my KoAlana Ohana! I love my new koalana concert but it won't make me give up my KoAloha Tenor. Some have described the koalana as plain -- I like to think that it is humble looking but it plays and sounds great!

OldePhart
10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
I just hope I can afford one before the first crop is gone. Was planning on ordering one the 15th but might have to wait as I just got my car insurance bill. :( Could always put one on plastic but I'm really trying to break that bad habit especially since it's getting to where I'm going to have to buy the wife another car soon. I haven't had a car payment for several years but that is probably going to change - it's either that or sink a lot of money into fixing all the little nittinoid things on her 14-year-old Toyota Avalon...

John

coolkayaker1
10-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Koaloha has not necessarily cannibalized its premium line. I've got a Koaloha Soprano, Tenor and Concert. The Koalana looks and sounds fantastic. But. It's definitely "unfinished" in appearance compared to the Koaloha and clearly made of inferior materials. There is always a market for Koa vs. Mahogany and gloss vs. satin and premium vs. basic.

Both Kanilea and Koolau have gone the direction of spec'ing a less expensive uke, and both have interesting and good products. However, Koaloha is doing something different, they are offering a lower cost version of their main line. Potentially it is a smart strategy because following the other approach would have led to a "me too" product line.

I, too, own all three Koaloha sizes. That's kewl, katysax.

As mentioned in another thread, many will enter with a KoAlana. Okay, great...it's good, but as you say, not quite a Koaloha.

Well, six months later, saved some coin for a premium uke...now in premium uke market...what are the odds that I am going to now spend, literally, three times as much to get the same ukulele in gloss koa?

Not going to happen. What I will be saying is: I have a Koaloha, but the Koalana version. Now that I've save up over a thousand clams, what's the next K brand I should try.

That will be the logic, trust me.

good_uke_boy
10-14-2012, 06:40 AM
I've played my KoAlana concert for a few hours now.

Compared to my other ukes (Collings UC-2, KoAloha KCM-00, Mainland Classic Mahogany), its sound is very beautiful, warm, and sweet.

gitarzan
11-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Well I just popped for the Koalana soprano from HMS. My only real soprano is a Kala KA15s. I like it but it is really a minimal instrument. The Koalana ought to fill that niche up very nicely. I do get a kick out of playing a soprano.

Anyway, the buzz here has been for the concert. I'll let you know what I think when I get it!