First Tenor Ukulele

mcplokqaws

Reaction score
Hello,
After hearing Jake Shimabukuro and the legends of Ukulele play on Youtube, I think I fell in love with the instrument. Because of this and the desire to start playing music again (cellist, but as a college student, I left the cello back home), I decided to purchase a tenor Ukulele. With the great help of the forum, I have narrowed down to these ukuleles.

-Kala Ka TEM
-Luna Tattoo Tenor
-Cordoba 20tm
-Islander MT4

I am not sure if I am willing to pay 186 dollars for the islander, but if you guys insist I might ;).

Which uke do you think is the best for the money? (because I have no transportation I can't really go out and try them :/) Are there others that you might also recommend?

Thank you so much!

You can't go wrong with the Islander MT4!...

Well worth the money!....

Hello,
After hearing Jake Shimabukuro and the legends of Ukulele play on Youtube, I think I fell in love with the instrument. Because of this and the desire to start playing music again (cellist, but as a college student, I left the cello back home), I decided to purchase a tenor Ukulele. With the great help of the forum, I have narrowed down to these ukuleles.

-Kala Ka TEM
-Luna Tattoo Tenor
-Cordoba 20tm
-Islander MT4

I am not sure if I am willing to pay 186 dollars for the islander, but if you guys insist I might ;).

Which uke do you think is the best for the money? (because I have no transportation I can't really go out and try them :/) Are there others that you might also recommend?

Thank you so much!

Can't go wrong with a Makala MK-T! £45GP (prob about $60USD) and is quality(But I would say that, as I have one, strung at the moment with a low G).

Im getting a tenor on saturday, ended up going for the kala KA-TEM reccomended by my local uke stockist. Hes setting it up as we speak!

I don't have a tenor.. but I do have a Cordoba 20cm that I love. Sounds great, I got it from theukulelesite.com so the set-up was great, and it looks pretty good, too. I much prefer it to my Makala (which now mostly goes unplayed, so it got sent to work to live on my desk).

I have the Islander MT-4 and love it! I got the case upgrade from Hawaii Music Supply, and it was well worth the price.

Mainland Mahogany.

Ou7t

Thank you so much for the input! How does the Oscar Schmidt ou7t compare to these ukuleles? Also what is the cheapest solid tenor (at least solid top) you can buy and sounds good? Thanks again!

Thank you so much for the input! How does the Oscar Schmidt ou7t compare to these ukuleles? Also what is the cheapest solid tenor (at least solid top) you can buy and sounds good? Thanks again!

The Cordoba is probably going to be the cheapest tenor with a solid top. i briefly owned the 20TM-CE and it sounded very good. i ended up returning it and trading for an Islander Concert as I found the reach on the tenor to be a bit too much, the concert length scale fit me better. I also found the islander sound to be more full bodied and louder than the Cordoba, but this is not a fair comparison as my Islander was all solid mahogany. Also comparing the sounds among different brands is really quite subjective. Whichever way you go, I think you'll be happy with either the Islander or the Cordoba but that is a very subjective call. The best way to pay them side by side, you may find you like the Luna or Kala better. Honestly you probably can't go wrong with any of these! :)

The Islander is superb. But can you stretch to a Mainland - brilliant ukes also.

I had a Cordoba 20TM-CE that sounded great plugged or unplugged. Super deals on used ones on ebay. Not sure about paying $199 for one. It hated Aquilas, but loved the low g Hilos I put on. I installed some pro-artes when I sent it to my Grand daughter...sounded ok, but probably needed Living Waters, Southcoast, Fremont blacks, or ????

I used to grab my Cordoba 20TM consistently until I got my Mainland. I'm now starting to gravitate toward My Martin T1K...but...on occasion like my Kala KA-SRCE-C...we'll...the point of this story is that I never touch my Fender Nokea. Don't get a Fender :D

Thanks everyone! I ended up spending a little more to get a Mainland Tenor Mahogany Uke. It's coming friday! So excited!

Just looked and Hawaii Music Supply has the Islander with a hard case included, good deal. Theirs come set up.
Sounds great. Makes me want to get one myself.

Thanks everyone! I ended up spending a little more to get a Mainland Tenor Mahogany Uke. It's coming friday! So excited!

Congratulations! Good choice.

Of my 3 ukes, I play the Mainland tenor the most. I just like the sound of it so well, that I rarely use the other ukes at all. Another thing is that it's very well made and nice to look at.

Just got it! The uke itself and the sound it produces is so beautiful!

I used to grab my Cordoba 20TM consistently until I got my Mainland. I'm now starting to gravitate toward My Martin T1K...but...on occasion like my Kala KA-SRCE-C...we'll...the point of this story is that I never touch my Fender Nokea. Don't get a Fender :D
what can you say about your martin t1k

Top Bottom