Matt Dahlberg Lessons

Stevelele

Reaction score
Now that I've had a chance to take over a dozen lessons with Matt Dahlberg, I thought I'd share my experience with you all, if you're considering taking lessons with him.

I've been taking lessons with Matt over the internet (I use Skype but many of his students use facetime or some other application). I've taken lessons in person with a different instructor, and I have to say that if you have a webcam and a decent internet connection, this set up works extremely well (I far prefer my internet lessons with Matt over my in person lessons with my other teacher). Of course there are a few downsides to not being in person, but there are very few. The only real downside is that he can't actually physically move your hand, but he can certainly see what you're doing and get you to make adjustments.

The great thing about Matt is that he's completely enthusiastic, not only about the ukulele, but about teaching. Many teachers have forgotten what it means to learn new things--they're so far into their careers as a teacher or a musician that it's hard for them to understand common roadblocks that non-experts have. But since Matt had to learn himself, not so long ago, he totally gets the bad habits that have held us back, and sometimes just tiny little tricks can make a huge difference. In fact, just yesterday, I asked him to take a look at a video of one of our UU'ers, and I wanted him to tell me what this person was doing, since I've admired this person's videos. Matt watched the video for about 30 seconds, and he was able to tell me not only exactly what he was doing, but he also correctly guessed this person's background (former guitar player) and knew exactly what this person could do to improve easily with just some slight adjustments.

Matt doesn't just have a standard lesson plan that he takes you through. He really works with you to figure out what you want to achieve and he works with you to figure out a plan to achieve it, whether it's composing your own songs, improving your strumming, your picking, or learning more about music theory.

And best of all, the lessons are fun. Matt is a great guy, he's got a very nice manner and a good sense of humor, and he is extremely humble. I'm writing this because I really like Matt and want him to succeed, and I also want all of you guys to benefit from what he has to offer. If you have any questions about his lessons, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you what I can.

Thanks for Sharing. I've been learning some theory from my boys guitar teacher, but I will have other keep him in mind for the future...

Top Bottom