What are tabs?

Essie1

Reaction score
I used to play the ukelele but was taught the wrong way, so I stopped as I couldnt play songs. But now, I'm going to start again. What is/are tabs? And is there any other fancy terminology that might confuse me?! Thanks!

Tabs are a pictorial representation of the ukulele strings - four lines representing the strings, and numbers placed on them in sequence to indicate which fret to hold when plucking the string at that point in sequence. It's kinda like a music stave, but easier. Used for showing picking patterns and melodies, though can show chords too. Tab is short for tablature, which is the term that applies.

Frankly, I would avoid tabs if possible. For many they become a crutch and you end up learning the song visually and can't play without the tab. I made that mistake early on with guitar and it took me years to break it.

Sometimes a tab can be handy to learn a difficult piece, but ween yourself off the tab as early as possible, using it only for a reference to give you a "boost" to get through parts you can't otherwise figure out. It may take you ten times as long to learn a song figuring it out without tabs, but once you have figured it out it will be in long term memory - you might "learn" a song very quickly from tab but then be reliant on the tab.

John

As a beginner, I think tabs are confusing.

As opposed to the chordie.com type of "chord sheet" with the chord changes displayed in the appropriate place (more or less) above the printed lyrics.

I have found that the exact placement of the new chord is more a suggestion then an absolute. You've still got to know what the song sounds like to get it right.

Fred

Last edited:
I'm a rookie and i like the chord diagrams. However, for the chords that I already know, the chord symbol, such as A7, Dm, C, etc.., works fine. We already had lots and lots of fakebooks before I ever started on the uke so chord symbols are old friends.

Top Bottom