Decorating a ukelele

Essie1

Reaction score
I want to purchase a really simple, plain ukulele to start with at a cheap price. But I want to decorate it, and make it unique. I have a few different ideas:
1) Decorate with buttons. That would be awesome! But would it affect the sound?
2) Decopatch. I think that would work...
3) Paint it! Could I use acrylic paint..?

Edit: Realised I spelt ukulele wrong...sorry!

I don't know about buttons I do think a lot would change the sound. I did see someone make a rosette on her flea with stick on rhinestones.. made it sparkle..
MY husband painted a uke for me a lot of paint damped the sound some, I am sure that decopauge would too

My daughter took an old uke, sanded it a bit, then spray painted it. Then she did doodles (zentangles) on top of the paint.
It still sounds as bad as it did before she painted it :)

I want to put some hotfix crystals on mine to dress it up a bit - but worry about making a mistake and messing it up.

Had I kept my Mahalo with it's glossy glossy finish, I was tempted to print some "window clings" off my computer and apply them (you can buy the window cling film for printers). I was thinking if I just did a design and cut away anything that wasn't design, it probably wouldn't impact the sound too bad - especially if you just stuck to a rosette or something. I also liked the fact I could take it off and even change it up very easily.

Good thing that uke is gone - just another project I'd never get to anyways :rolleyes:

Top Bottom