New Islanders - Just Tried Them

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My office is near Kaye's Music Scene in Northridge, and I knew the new Kanilea Islanders were coming in today with UPS. I was there to watch George Kaye take them out of the box and had a chance to play all of them.

1. Spruce Rosewood. The wood is a satin finish. I'm kind of disappointed that the Spruce top is laminated. I went there thinking I would buy the Spruce Rosewood Concert. I didn't love it; to my ear the Spruce Rosewood was a little dull.

2. Acacia. The acacia looks almost like Koa. I tried all three and liked all of them. The soprano has 14 frets to the body, making it like a longneck. I thought the sound was a tiny bit boxy. At some point I might still get the 14 fret soprano as I like the longer neck and wider fret board, but I like sound of my Anuenue long neck better.

3. Mahogany Tenor Electric. I liked this model a lot. It was the loudest of the bunch. The Mahogany finish has a kind of curl to it and it is nicely matched. I'll note that the body on this and all the tenors was a bit smaller than the older Islanders and the Kanilea. I liked this and thought all the tenors were comfortable.

4. Spalted maple. The spalted maple is really pretty and each one is different. I like the sound the best - it is a bit brighter than the mahogany, not quite as loud. Good sustain for a laminate. To my surprise I liked the tenor more than the concert because it had a bit more resonance.

Ended up leaving with a new spalted maple tenor.

Aloha Katy,
Thank You for the review and congrats on your new Islander Spalted Mango Tenor...wee you typed it out....I am just puzzled with ukulele models acronyms..Happy Strummings

Aloha Katy,
Thank You for the review and congrats on your new Islander Spalted Mango Tenor...wee you typed it out....I am just puzzled with ukulele models acronyms..Happy Strummings

I have an Islander MT-TNNSPSTALGTSIILITW

(Islander Mahogany Tenor That Needs New Strings, Probably Switching To A Low G To See If I Like It That Way)

Very cook, Katy. I loved that you got to watch the unpacking!

It was actually pretty funny. George Kaye who owns the store was as eager to try them out as I was. We were like two little kids grabbing for them. He got two of each, and I got to tune half of them up. I try to buy ukes from him periodically and I buy strings frequently because he is so nice about letting me play the ukes in his store.

It was actually pretty funny. George Kaye who owns the store was as eager to try them out as I was. We were like two little kids grabbing for them. He got two of each, and I got to tune half of them up. I try to buy ukes from him periodically and I buy strings frequently because he is so nice about letting me play the ukes in his store.
Gotta love George. He really loves the popularity of the uke and he's been pretty excited since he started carrying Kanilea. Congrats on your new uke.

Top Bottom