Delighted with my new (old) Martin SO

lennymac

Reaction score
I bought a Martin SO about 5 years ago based solely on the Martin name. I was fairly new to ukes at that time and when I got it home and played it in I was very disappointed in it - I really didn't like the sound, the action was really high and the intonation wasn't great. In addition, unless it was tuned a tone up to D there was very pronounced buzzing at the first fret on the two middle strings, tuning up a tone reduced this but didn't remove it completely. I was embarrassed that I'd bought a uke impulsively based on brand name and as a result it has spent the best part of the last 5 years in a gig bag in the cupboard - only appearing now and again for me to confirm how bad it was.

However.... Having spent a lot of time on this forum over the last 6 months or so I have now learned that a lot of these issues can be solved by a good set up and the correct set of strings.

I picked it up from a local luthier today who i'd asked to lower the saddle and raise the nut for me - I put a set of worth browns on it and I am DELIGHTED!!! It is a completely different uke and I can't put it down - it is now the uke I thought it was going to be when I bought it!! Plays really well, intonation is near to perfect all the way up and fret buzz gone. The tone is warm and quite mellow but with a bit of bark!! It's like having a 'new uke day' with a Martin uke arriving, but having only spent £40.00!!

I am 'well chuffed' (Scottish expression), and it's certainly going to keep me occupied until my next new uke day in December (kamaka concert long neck special)!!!

Glad to hear that your Martin is new again! Now, how about a picture or two?

Super! Congrats. I love my pre-war Martin SO

Top Bottom