PDA

View Full Version : I did a bad thing...

Alex13
10-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Hi all,

New here, only a couple of posts, but I've been lurking around absorbing info for a couple of weeks now.

I've recently ordered a Mainland Mahogany Tenor. I've been chomping at the bit for it to arrive so I can play it, I've heard so many good things. I'm still playing a cheap Ashton uke, which is incredibly fun (it is a uke after all!), but lacks a bit in sound.

Tonight I got so excited I couldn't handle the anticipation, so I bought another uke... a KoAloha Concert from HMS. I justified to myself that I was saving around $200 off the new prices if I bought it now rather than later.

Now I have to find out how I tell the Mrs that I have two ukes on the way, not just one!

Anyone have any idea how I tackle this situation??

Wooville
10-04-2012, 02:27 AM
Looks like you need to buy some bling for the misses, and then throw yourself at her mercy!!! <G>

buddhuu
10-04-2012, 02:41 AM
Gradually build up a big enough collection until she no longer notices additions...

As for your immediate situation... I'm afraid you're toast. :/

dnewton2
10-04-2012, 02:43 AM
First you did the right thing coming here for help.;)

Be sure to tell her you saved $200 by buying the Koaloha now. That savings alone pays for nearly all of the Mainland.

fitncrafty
10-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Hi all,

New here, only a couple of posts, but I've been lurking around absorbing info for a couple of weeks now.

I've recently ordered a Mainland Mahogany Tenor. I've been chomping at the bit for it to arrive so I can play it, I've heard so many good things. I'm still playing a cheap Ashton uke, which is incredibly fun (it is a uke after all!), but lacks a bit in sound.

Tonight I got so excited I couldn't handle the anticipation, so I bought another uke... a KoAloha Concert from HMS. I justified to myself that I was saving around $200 off the new prices if I bought it now rather than later.

Now I have to find out how I tell the Mrs that I have two ukes on the way, not just one!

Tell her one of them is for her and you really want to learn to play together! :) Otherwise, you best send flowers and whatever nice big thing she is into. Congrats on the new Ukes.. Those koalohas are beautiful! Dont forget to tell her how much you saved and maybe put one away for holiday gift. :)

Alex13
10-04-2012, 02:56 AM
First you did the right thing coming here for help.;)

Be sure to tell her you saved $200 by buying the Koaloha now. That savings alone pays for nearly all of the Mainland.

That's a good point! Maybe I can tell her I ordered the KoAloha and the Mainland came free??

The playing together idea is a good one too. That may just work.

Doc_J
10-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Gradually build up a big enough collection until she no longer notices additions...

:/

That is funny.... but so true.

New ukes here no longer get noticed by my spouse.

savagehenry
10-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Why don't you try being honest with her and tell her you kind of got caught up in the moment and got carried away.

RichM
10-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Generally speaking, I always look at musical instruments as assets rather than expenses. They have value and can be turned back into cash if absolutely necessary. Would your wife be upset if you invested your money in gold or bonds? You just happen to have invested it in musical instruments.

Alex13
10-04-2012, 03:18 AM
It's all good. She won't really be upset with me. Just roll her eyes. We are comfortable enough that the money side isn't an issue. I really just wanted to share my excitement with some people who may get it :D

vanflynn
10-04-2012, 03:23 AM
You could try the bait and switch. "I was looking at this Collings for $2400 but decided on a KoALoha instead"

kirbo
10-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Make a case for the NEED for 2 different sizes. Or, maybe you NEED one at work and one at home. But come clean. I get the look and then I hear it for a little while, but then she forgets all about it when I play her a new song I'm working on.

dkcrown
10-04-2012, 03:29 AM
The best defense is a good offense. Admit nothing, deny everything, and make counter accusations.:) Just kidding of course. Honesty is the best policy. She will understand. But throw some baubles her way too!

You're going to love that concert KoAloha.

Garydavkra
10-04-2012, 03:37 AM
I say just tell her the truth. :iwant: It's short and the pain will be over a lot sooner. Really, you'll just feel a little prick and everything will go numb. When the numbness wears off, everything will be okay. :rolleyes: Well, it works for the dentist.

Lalz
10-04-2012, 04:01 AM
The KoAloha will be tuned with a high G and the Mainland with a low one. "Nuff said" in my books ;)

KoaDependent
10-04-2012, 04:06 AM
"I bought one for you too, honey".

Kind of like when Homer gave Marge a bowling ball for her birthday.... engraved with his name on it.

frets alot
10-04-2012, 04:11 AM
Welcome to UAS. Have fun.

MisterRios
10-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Say you were going to order three, but you got cold feet on the third and only ordered two.

DaveY
10-04-2012, 04:31 AM
just say it's an investment, and that it's already appreciated by 17% (or whatever the $200 would represent) - that, plus the "be honest" thing.

barefootgypsy
10-04-2012, 05:02 AM
"I bought one for you too, honey".

Kind of like when Homer gave Marge a bowling ball for her birthday.... engraved with his name on it.Like when my brother bought Mum a set of darts....

mm stan
10-04-2012, 05:07 AM
Tell her one of them is for her and you really want to learn to play together! :) Otherwise, you best send flowers and whatever nice big thing she is into. Congrats on the new Ukes.. Those koalohas are beautiful! Dont forget to tell her how much you saved and maybe put one away for holiday gift. :)
+1 Yup the Koaloha concert is one of my favorite ukes....nice bright tone...You will like it.... Fitncrafty is right, they are beautiful and beautiful sounding..
oh oh after 5 ukes...spouses who are not into ukes will not notice the difference...get it delivered to your work I hope....and hide some under the bed...ha ha
you know you can butter her up and get her what she always wanted too....

wendellfiddler
10-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Could be a lot worse. Instrument acquisition is a lot better than gambling. I've always been able to most of my money back, and a few times I've even made a profit.

dt

mds725
10-04-2012, 08:11 AM
You could tell her that your other idea was to buy an expensive red sportscar. I justify UAS by rationalizing that it's cheaper than a Maserati. Congrats on the new ukes. Forr those of us who can't get enough of looking at the variations in wood grains, please post photos when they get there!

peaceweaver3
10-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Do you know how many people clicked on this thread just for the title? Read: Just to see what someone else did? LOL You can start with me since I'm admitting it! Anyway, I say what I always say... No justification needed, just enjoy those ukes! And just for the record, sounds like something I would do!

haolejohn
10-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

That is easy. The koaloha is for her (or you) and the Mainland is for you (or her). You can learn together. That is what I did once and it worked so well that the koaloha really became my wife's.

efiscella
10-04-2012, 09:23 AM

This is absolutely true. Last week I was sitting with 10 ukulele's in my "collection". They were all in cases in my ukulele nooks in the family room (I keep them all accessible, properly humidified, and in a case). She passes them a number of times every day, and yet, when I told her that I was thinking of selling some ukulele's she responded, "Which of the five are you planning to sell?" I am now down to 7 and she still thinks I have five :o

Jinxi
10-04-2012, 09:26 AM
I was going to suggest you do as a guy in my uke club... he gets a uke for every pair of shoes his wife owns (he's up to about 35, I think and is talking about sending his wife shoe shopping soon) but, the thought of asking her to play too is really sweet, so I say go with that.

mangorockfish
10-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Always remember this: It's easier to get foregiveness than it is permission.

ksiegel
10-04-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm still waiting for you to explain what you mean by, "I did a bad thing."

What did you do that's bad?

-Kurt

siauke
10-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Okay -- I'm not alone! I ordered a KoAloha thin body from HMS on Tuesday to beat the price increase. After reading all the posts about Koalana, I ordered a Koalana concert this morning and asked that they be shipped together. I plan to tell my wife the the KoAloha tenor must have given birth on the way over from Hawaii and now it's a thin body. Can't separate the baby koalana from mother -- Right?

808boy
10-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Aloha,
Best to be honest, no sugar coating, well maybe just a little. If you got UAS already, you'll be better off with her backing and blessing. BUT, be sure to learn songs that SHE likes and serenade her.....PRICELESS!
Oh,BTW....Good luck.....................................BO....... ..................

mm stan
10-04-2012, 04:40 PM
aloha,
best to be honest, no sugar coating, well maybe just a little. If you got uas already, you'll be better off with her backing and blessing. But, be sure to learn songs that she likes and serenade her.....priceless!
Oh,btw....good luck.....................................bo....... ..................

happy birthday bruddah bo...woo hoo ....

siauke
10-04-2012, 04:57 PM
No she'll be cool with it. I was looking at a couple of different ukulele. I sold my Kanile'a tenor. I bought a pono mt which I really enjoy. I was considering the Pono spruce/rosewood or the Ko'olau. Had my sisters KoAloha super concert so I played a few tunes for my wife and she liked the sound of the KoAloha best. So that is what I got!

I'm sure that when my daughter is home for the holidays she will want to trade in her Kala for the koaloha. My son claimed my Nalu super concert -- my first ukulele. He loves it. Other ukes have gone to my mother and cousin's kid. Is there a cure for UAS?

Tigeralum2001
10-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Yes; now the only challenge is finding good reasons for not letting her near the bank statements...

webby
10-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Blame the members here for peer pressure, that's what I did when my number of ukes got to 6 and climbing.

I said, it's all Stans fault.

Alex13
10-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Okay -- I'm not alone! I ordered a KoAloha thin body from HMS on Tuesday to beat the price increase. After reading all the posts about Koalana, I ordered a Koalana concert this morning and asked that they be shipped together. I plan to tell my wife the the KoAloha tenor must have given birth on the way over from Hawaii and now it's a thin body. Can't separate the baby koalana from mother -- Right?

Ha! I know how you feel. Those KoAlanas look awesome!

So what was your reason for going for the thin body tenor? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Bill1 - thanks for your post. The "MG as your first car" thing was kind of what I was hoping. Though I have my own thoughts on MG, as I am employed by a major international car company using the same letters just not in that order, I take your point.

Still can't wait till the ukes get here. Many other Aus players ordered from Mainlan or HMS? Just wondering what the timing normally is. I don't want to order a 3rd uke in anticipation!

DaveY
10-06-2012, 06:51 AM

That's genius. And then in a few weeks or months, you can arrange for a reunion with Papa Pono, Cousin Kamaka, etc.

siauke
10-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Daniel Ho showed me his thin body tenor last year. It sounded great. I was looking for a uke that was amped. I thought it was too small but it is really easy to hold standing up and some chords, like the dreaded E are easier to play. Plugged in for a short time today but will really test it out this weekend.

Ha! I know how you feel. Those KoAlanas look awesome!

So what was your reason for going for the thin body tenor? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Bill1 - thanks for your post. The "MG as your first car" thing was kind of what I was hoping. Though I have my own thoughts on MG, as I am employed by a major international car company using the same letters just not in that order, I take your point.

Still can't wait till the ukes get here. Many other Aus players ordered from Mainlan or HMS? Just wondering what the timing normally is. I don't want to order a 3rd uke in anticipation!

stevepetergal
10-11-2012, 04:51 PM
If you're anything like me, you can tell her you'll be selling the other ukes anyway.

And you're wrong. You did a VERY GOOD thing.

vanflynn
10-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Daniel Ho showed me his thin body tenor last year.

Now this is one of the few forums that you could say that!