I did a bad thing...

Alex13

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here, only a couple of posts, but I've been lurking around absorbing info for a couple of weeks now.

I've recently ordered a Mainland Mahogany Tenor. I've been chomping at the bit for it to arrive so I can play it, I've heard so many good things. I'm still playing a cheap Ashton uke, which is incredibly fun (it is a uke after all!), but lacks a bit in sound.

Tonight I got so excited I couldn't handle the anticipation, so I bought another uke... a KoAloha Concert from HMS. I justified to myself that I was saving around $200 off the new prices if I bought it now rather than later.

Now I have to find out how I tell the Mrs that I have two ukes on the way, not just one!

Anyone have any idea how I tackle this situation??

Looks like you need to buy some bling for the misses, and then throw yourself at her mercy!!! <G>

Gradually build up a big enough collection until she no longer notices additions...

As for your immediate situation... I'm afraid you're toast. :/

First you did the right thing coming here for help.;)

Be sure to tell her you saved $200 by buying the Koaloha now. That savings alone pays for nearly all of the Mainland.

Last edited:
Hi all,

New here, only a couple of posts, but I've been lurking around absorbing info for a couple of weeks now.

I've recently ordered a Mainland Mahogany Tenor. I've been chomping at the bit for it to arrive so I can play it, I've heard so many good things. I'm still playing a cheap Ashton uke, which is incredibly fun (it is a uke after all!), but lacks a bit in sound.

Tonight I got so excited I couldn't handle the anticipation, so I bought another uke... a KoAloha Concert from HMS. I justified to myself that I was saving around $200 off the new prices if I bought it now rather than later.

Now I have to find out how I tell the Mrs that I have two ukes on the way, not just one!

Anyone have any idea how I tackle this situation??

Tell her one of them is for her and you really want to learn to play together! :) Otherwise, you best send flowers and whatever nice big thing she is into. Congrats on the new Ukes.. Those koalohas are beautiful! Dont forget to tell her how much you saved and maybe put one away for holiday gift. :)

First you did the right thing coming here for help.;)

Be sure to tell her you saved $200 by buying the Koaloha now. That savings alone pays for nearly all of the Mainland.

That's a good point! Maybe I can tell her I ordered the KoAloha and the Mainland came free??

The playing together idea is a good one too. That may just work.

Gradually build up a big enough collection until she no longer notices additions...

:/

That is funny.... but so true.

New ukes here no longer get noticed by my spouse.

Why don't you try being honest with her and tell her you kind of got caught up in the moment and got carried away.

Generally speaking, I always look at musical instruments as assets rather than expenses. They have value and can be turned back into cash if absolutely necessary. Would your wife be upset if you invested your money in gold or bonds? You just happen to have invested it in musical instruments.

It's all good. She won't really be upset with me. Just roll her eyes. We are comfortable enough that the money side isn't an issue. I really just wanted to share my excitement with some people who may get it :D

You could try the bait and switch. "I was looking at this Collings for $2400 but decided on a KoALoha instead"

Make a case for the NEED for 2 different sizes. Or, maybe you NEED one at work and one at home. But come clean. I get the look and then I hear it for a little while, but then she forgets all about it when I play her a new song I'm working on.

The best defense is a good offense. Admit nothing, deny everything, and make counter accusations.:) Just kidding of course. Honesty is the best policy. She will understand. But throw some baubles her way too!

You're going to love that concert KoAloha.

I say just tell her the truth. :iwant: It's short and the pain will be over a lot sooner. Really, you'll just feel a little prick and everything will go numb. When the numbness wears off, everything will be okay. :rolleyes: Well, it works for the dentist.

Last edited:
"I bought one for you too, honey".

Kind of like when Homer gave Marge a bowling ball for her birthday.... engraved with his name on it.

Welcome to UAS. Have fun.

Say you were going to order three, but you got cold feet on the third and only ordered two.

just say it's an investment, and that it's already appreciated by 17% (or whatever the $200 would represent) - that, plus the "be honest" thing.

Top Bottom