PDA

View Full Version : A first look at the new RED Label Koaloha Custom tenors

MGM
10-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Here is the first batch of Red labels custom tenors from Koaloha.Have a look. Red labels are customs made by the long time builders...black labels are reserved for Paul okamis customs
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/musicguymic/redlabels_zpsb609027a.png

mds725
10-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Holy crap, those are pretty! Was this photo taken at HMS or at the KoAloha factory. (My credit card wants to know. LOL.)

perep
10-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Looks like at the store, I will be at your store again in Feb, hope to look at these beauties . Thanks Mike
Don in Oregon

coolkayaker1
10-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Yikes, bow tie bridges! Run!

soupking
10-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Good grief. I suspect one of those has my name on it. Ugh I've gotta get a grip on this sickness...

PedalFreak
10-04-2012, 08:51 AM
I was talking to Alan about the Honu one a couple months ago. He sent me a photo of it, great looking ukes! I don't know if the pricing changed since then, so I'll let MGM on that, but I thought for being a Custom KoAloha they were reasonably priced.

He gave me a chance to buy it, actually glad I didn't, ended up needing to have surgery and that took up a lot of money.

Trinimon
10-04-2012, 09:00 AM
G'damn!

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz127/sooley48/amazed.jpg

erivel
10-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Those are beautiful! Love the body bindings. Bowtie bridges are back?

Skinny Money McGee
10-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Here is the first batch of Red labels custom tenors from Koaloha.Have a look. Red labels are customs made by the long time builders...black labels are reserved for Paul okamis customs
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/musicguymic/redlabels_zpsb609027a.png

Humm, I emailed them a little over a week ago and they said they were not going to build any customs or take custom orders for at least a year. Actually I just found the email reply from Brian: he says:

"Thank you for taking an interest in KoAloha Ukulele! We would normally be able to fulfill your request. However, due to a 4 year back order, we are currently not accepting any custom builds at this time. We do have a new build schedule in place that aims to have two customs completed every month. If everything goes according to schedule, we will be reopening custom build sometime in mid 2014. We apologize for the bad news."

hawaii 50
10-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Holy crap, those are pretty! Was this photo taken at HMS or at the KoAloha factory. (My credit card wants to know. LOL.)

Ha ha tell your credit card it is at the Koaloha factory..does not look like The Ukulele Site(HMS) if you order one get it from Mike(MGM) you can't go wrong!

Plainsong
10-04-2012, 10:55 AM
My understanding from the instragram feed was that these are sold already.

Humm, I emailed them a little over a week ago and they said they were not going to build any customs or take custom orders for at least a year. Actually I just found the email reply from Brian: he says:

"Thank you for taking an interest in KoAloha Ukulele! We would normally be able to fulfill your request. However, due to a 4 year back order, we are currently not accepting any custom builds at this time. We do have a new build schedule in place that aims to have two customs completed every month. If everything goes according to schedule, we will be reopening custom build sometime in mid 2014. We apologize for the bad news."

Doc_J
10-04-2012, 11:03 AM
There is a 'Tiger' inlay Red Label KoALoha for sale from HMS for $2,999 on ebay ... can we call it $3k?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOALOHA-CUSTOM-TENOR-RED-LABEL-moo-inlaid-UKULELE-W-DLX-OAHU-CASE-/130777766481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e72f65a51

mm stan
10-04-2012, 11:36 AM
There is a 'Tiger' inlay Red Label KoALoha for sale from HMS for $2,999 on ebay ... can we call it $3k?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOALOHA-CUSTOM-TENOR-RED-LABEL-moo-inlaid-UKULELE-W-DLX-OAHU-CASE-/130777766481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e72f65a51
Aloha Doc,
that is a Mo'o in hawaiian..or lizard, Gecko look at it's tongue.....

Skinny Money McGee
10-04-2012, 11:38 AM
My understanding from the instragram feed was that these are sold already.

His email seemed a little confusing to me. Says 4 year backlog of customs, then says they may start taking more custom orders in two.

If that's the case, in two years they will still have two years of back orders. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Maybe reading between the lines, the Hawaii shop will become a pure custom shop and the production ukes will move to Thailand with the Koalanas?

PedalFreak
10-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Humm, I emailed them a little over a week ago and they said they were not going to build any customs or take custom orders for at least a year. [/I]

These probably really aren't considered "Customs." As it's not Paul building them, but a team that was trained by him. I had asked about a custom and that is when Alan told me about the Red Labels. Sound's like they may be doing small batches of Red Label ukes in order to help people get a "Custom" from them.

Plainsong
10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Hmm tough to say. Certainly shifting the larger customer base onto the offshoot brand frees up the company to do more custom work. But all the brands are doing this now with the exception of Kamaka. Maybe it hasn't been thought out that far, just that it eases the strain of keeping up with demand. I don't know either way, just guessing from what Kanilea and Koolau have done... with much success.

mm stan
10-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Yes yes some awesome inlay and the builders did a great job...yup I want one...

Skinny Money McGee
10-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Hmm tough to say. Certainly shifting the larger customer base onto the offshoot brand frees up the company to do more custom work. But all the brands are doing this now with the exception of Kamaka. Maybe it hasn't been thought out that far, just that it eases the strain of keeping up with demand. I don't know either way, just guessing from what Kanilea and Koolau have done... with much success.

Well, I hope they can get their custom back log in order. All I wanted was a semi-custom Herb Ohta model with no fancy inlays, or etchings, just ebony fretboard and bridge, and some nice looking koa.

Those Koalanas from Thailand look Really nice for the money. My Daughter is learning uke, I may get her one of those for Christmas. Wish them all the luck whatever transforms with their Custom shop.

Doc_J
10-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Aloha Doc,
that is a Mo'o in hawaiian..or lizard, Gecko look at it's tongue.....

Thanks Stan. That does look more like a lizard than a tiger. :o

Tigeralum2001
10-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Wow! I'm not sure what I was expecting, but those look much better than what I was expecting. Nice to see some inlay, too.

consitter
10-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Those are beautiful! Love the body bindings. Bowtie bridges are back?

Only for the customs.

consitter
10-04-2012, 06:57 PM
His email seemed a little confusing to me. Says 4 year backlog of customs, then says they may start taking more custom orders in two.

If that's the case, in two years they will still have two years of back orders. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Maybe reading between the lines, the Hawaii shop will become a pure custom shop and the production ukes will move to Thailand with the Koalanas?

Nope. All KoAlohas will still be made in HI. Only KoAlanas (soon to be KoAloha Jr's) will be made in Thailand. They used to only turn out a custom every two months. Now with 2 per month coming out, this will cut down on the backlog. That is if the schedule keeps pace.

experimentjon
03-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Bump Up. I just saw these on IG last night for the first time. Very cool to see Red Label customs. Now, what is used to make those green inlays?!

Tigeralum2001
03-24-2013, 08:43 PM
What is IG?

experimentjon
03-24-2013, 08:45 PM
What is IG?

Instagram. :)

Speaking of which, MGM should seriously start using his account more so I can see more ukes in my feed!

consitter
03-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Bump Up. I just saw these on IG last night for the first time. Very cool to see Red Label customs. Now, what is used to make those green inlays?!

The green inlay...most likely river rock. That is what was used for mine in the areas that were green.

Gillian
03-30-2013, 07:09 AM
"Custom", to me, doesn't mean that the ukulele is built by only one guy, but that you choose what goes into the uke, from the woods to the bling.