Skype?

VaGoddess

Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering if any uke players use Skype? I'm trying to learn as much as I can and it would be a benefit to be able to play and practice with different people!

I take ukulele lessons over Skype. It works great for that. I'm told there is a time lag kinda thing with Skype so it's hard to play together. I'm curious about FaceTime.

I take ukulele lessons over Skype. It works great for that. I'm told there is a time lag kinda thing with Skype so it's hard to play together. I'm curious about FaceTime.

Who do you take lessons from? I have FaceTime also...that might work better.

I've used Skype to have lessons and it worked really well, I also use it to practise with my band mates who are in Finland as well as just generally playing and it works really well, but playing together doesn't work because when I play and my friend plays, Skype cuts the sound so we only hear ourselves..don't know the technical term, but plainsong might since she's the friend I play with!

i'm on skype, pm me if you want my skype name :)

Th technical term is that Skype sucks at this. It's impossible to play together because it decides that there is noise, let's cancel out the noise... So you only hear yourself. It only allows sound through one at a time. Useless for jamming. That and the random "ok I hang up for you now" moments. I know it's not my connection. I've got 100mb and gigabit wifi, it ain't that. And I pay them for the phone calling feature, so it ain't that either.

Maybe FaceTime is better, but no one I know uses it, but my husband, who is usually right next to me.

Well that sucks! I'm trying to think of different ways to play with other ukers since I can't find anyone where I'm located!

Well I think there are a number of members on the site who are from NC and there are clubs in that state too IIRC, so I would repost inquiring about jamming, clubs and get-togethers. Here's a link to a list of uke clubs but I don't know how recent it is http://ukulelehunt.com/2010/03/10/ukulele-clubs-and-groups-in-the-usa-and-canada/ just googling NC and uke club yielded the Durham uke club in the Triangle area. Good luck, g2

but playing together doesn't work because when I play and my friend plays, Skype cuts the sound so we only hear ourselves..don't know the technical term
I think it's all about Skype being capable of full duplex connections (or rather the lack of these).
I use Skype only for phonecalls and am quite happy with the performance - might be better to use Teamspeak or the like for online Jam sessions....

Face time works. I play with my brother in law over face time :)

Top Bottom