Do you have Living Water strings on your Flea? Or...

ukemunga

Reaction score
Like 'em?

Other recommendations?

Just got a concert scale Flea and have Ken's strings on the way but I'm looking for other opinions before restringing.

Thanks!
Fred

I have a Tenor Scale Flea and use Aquillas strings which originally came with it. I have used nothing but Aquillas since and I am very happy with the sound.

I have a tenor flea. I have living water strings on it. They sound good and I think feel a little better on my fingers. Didn't have any issues with the stock strings.

I just got a Flea and I hate the Aquilas on it (Aquilas are best on laminate wooden ukes IMO). I have ordered South Coast strings (soft medium gauge) for it. I have Living Water strings and South Coast strings on other ukes and both brands are truly exceptional, by far my favourites. I'm sure you'll be happy with yours :)

Just by browsing these forums the overall idea I get is that the Living Water and South Coasts are very popular. :)

I think the Living Water's will be great. Personally I always thought that aquilas sounded fine on the fleas too. But worth clears could also be worth (sorry) a try and maybe the light gauge southcaosts would work too...ALL GOOD!!!!

Thanks for all of your input. I have the Living Water strings on my Kala long neck and really like them. Have Worth Clears on the OS Concert and like them. Haven't tried Southcoast yet.

I find that the Aquilas feel vey "hard" and rigid as opposed to the more "soft" and mellow fluorocarbons. I guess the Living Waters are going on the Flea as soon as they arrive.

I swapped the factory Aquilas for Living Water and I am very happy with the result - not that I was unhappy with the Aquilas, but LWS are very pleasing to ear and fingers.
Sound is not as crisp as Aquila, LWS are a bit "warmer".
You won't regret the change...
I once did some quick-and-dirty sound samples on my concert Flea: here and here

Aquilas sounded fine on my Flea but I felt they had a bit of a "hard edge". I changed them for living water and, for me, it was a definite improvment; a gentler, warmer sound which is just great for singing. The flea is my regular "carry out" ukulele.

I have a tenor Flea. Haven't tried Living Waters strings yet. Didn't like Freemont blackline mediums, found they required more tention than I wanted. Aquilas, too bright/barky for my taste and also felt rough to me. Love Freemont clears, and now trying Orcas (low G, fluorocarbon like Freemonts) and love those too. I'm getting the sense that at least to my ears with my Flea, clear strings provide the bell-like tone I'm after and the light tention I like too. JMO. Gonna try Worth clears one of these days too, but once I change strings, I leave them on until it's actually time for new ones. I don't test them for a week or so and switch. Some people like to, but I'd rather play than re-string. LOL

Aquilas sounded fine on my Flea but I felt they had a bit of a "hard edge". I changed them for living water and, for me, it was a definite improvment; a gentler, warmer sound which is just great for singing. The flea is my regular "carry out" ukulele.
Yeah this. Again, haven't tried the LWS, but felt the same happened w/ the Freemont clears. Improvement in sound, maybe not "better" but more suited to my playing style, and really balanced for singing, which I do most of the time. I think they also bring more of the bell like toen from the Flea than Aquilas ever could. I play the harp, and my Flea actually sounds very close to my lap harp.

I have a concert Flea. Started with Aquilas and didn't like them. I switched to Martin's on the advice of someone on these boards and they are my favorite. When the Living Water strings came out I put them on my Flea but they sounded kind of dead. I lived with them for a month hoping they would settle in but they never did so I finally put a new set of Martin's on. If you've never tried them, I highly recommend the Martin's for a Flea though I seem to prefer Worth's on almost all my other ukes. Good luck in your search for the strings that sound "perfect" to you!

Nix

P.S. Wanted to clarify that I like the Living Water strings, especially on solid wood ukes, just not on my Flea.

I have a concert Flea. Started with Aquilas and didn't like them. I switched to Martin's on the advice of someone on these boards and they are my favorite. When the Living Water strings came out I put them on my Flea but they sounded kind of dead. I lived with them for a month hoping they would settle in but they never did so I finally put a new set of Martin's on. If you've never tried them, I highly recommend the Martin's for a Flea though I seem to prefer Worth's on almost all my other ukes. Good luck in your search for the strings that sound "perfect" to you!

Nix

P.S. Wanted to clarify that I like the Living Water strings, especially on solid wood ukes, just not on my Flea.

Oh, you are so totally right! I remembered your post today and had a spare set of Martins m600 strings in my stack, so I put them on my Flea and they sound amazing! Very bright and alive without being harsh, and with good balance and separation between the strings. The Aquilas and other strings I tried on it had the tendency to drown the A string with the C. These don't. Usually I find m600s to have a bit too much tension but since the action is very low on the Flea, it's actually not bothering me at all on this one. I generally prefer Soutch Coast and Living Waters strings on other ukes, but on the Flea: m600 = perfection! Thanks for the advice mate!

Oh, you are so totally right! I remembered your post today and had a spare set of Martins m600 strings in my stack, so I put them on my Flea and they sound amazing! Very bright and alive without being harsh, and with good balance and separation between the strings. The Aquilas and other strings I tried on it had the tendency to drown the A string with the C. These don't. Usually I find m600s to have a bit too much tension but since the action is very low on the Flea, it's actually not bothering me at all on this one. I generally prefer Soutch Coast and Living Waters strings on other ukes, but on the Flea: m600 = perfection! Thanks for the advice mate!

So glad I could be helpful! The Martin strings really do shine on the Flea.

Top Bottom