Eras of Kamaka

garyg

Reaction score
Are there periods of manufacture when Kamaka ukes were better than during other times (e.g. in general, do white labels sound better and have better construction than yellow labels)? Conversely, does the variation in sound and manufacture within a period exceed the variation among periods? I know that age confounds this analysis but I'm curious nonetheless. TIA, g2

My experience is that the new Kamakas are the most consistent in construction and sound. They are very well built. I love 'em. I've heard individual white labels that are wonderful sounding, but they are somewhat hit or miss. I think the gold labels are a bit more hit or miss. I'm sure Stan has some thoughts on this one. Bruddah?

New ones are much more consistent. You can find great White and Gold labels, but I'd definitely play those before I bought one. I'd be very comfortable buying a newer Kamaka without playing them. I've played enough of the new ones and they all sound great, or at least very good.

ditto on what the others said. the older ones (white, gold labels) range in sound / build quality. the newer ones (with the new labels) seem to be much more consistent.

New ones are much more consistent. You can find great White and Gold labels, but I'd definitely play those before I bought one. I'd be very comfortable buying a newer Kamaka without playing them. I've played enough of the new ones and they all sound great, or at least very good.

I believe this is true with almost all instruments. Today's technology allows for much better consistency.
There are some really good mass produced ukuleles out there that are very affordable.

Aloha Gary,
Sorry late to the party again....shoots... As everyone says, consistancy improves with time....Within the different years with the different labels kamaka has tried different designs elements
to improve/ change the sound of their ukes....there are few gems within the older models, that play and sound great..actually some have way better quality wood too!! I always say try before you buy senerio... If you want to know more, PM me....it would be better to discuss this privately...Good Luck and Happy Strummings..

Top Bottom