Gretsch Roots Series Ukuleles

Eriquito

Reaction score
Played a few of these at my local music store. They have a complete line, even a banjo uke and I was sorta mixed with my feelings. On the one hand, they seemed exceptionally well made for the price, but on the other, the friction tuners they provided were terrible. I had a hard time keeping them in tune and I own friction tuners on my other ukes.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these? I really liked the banjo uke and the tenor mahogany model. Prices were decent with nothing about the high 200's.

I have the Clarophone and like it. OEM strings were so so. Nylguts sound much better. I'll try some fluoros next. The tuners needed a little tightening. After that, I learned to zero in to pitch quickly.

It's a fun machine, I've actually been asked to not play so loud. :rolleyes:

They look pretty nice for the price! Since Fender owns Gretsch, I wonder if they have anything to do with the Gretsch uke line. Especially since Fender's own ukes are rebranded versions of other common ones from the same factory. People do seem to like the new Gretsch ukes better than the Fenders, though.

I have the Clarophone and like it. OEM strings were so so. Nylguts sound much better. I'll try some fluoros next. The tuners needed a little tightening. After that, I learned to zero in to pitch quickly.

It's a fun machine, I've actually been asked to not play so loud. :rolleyes:

The OEM strings on the new Gretsch's are Aquila Nylguts. Wonder if the store you got yours at restrung it. My shop got the Laminate models in, still waiting for the rest. But I'm really looking forward to getting the solid mahogany ones in. Because the laminates we got sound amazing!

You must tighten the tuners when you get them, hopefully shops realize that and do it before a customer plays them.

Gretsch did a lot of homework on these, and I really hope they don't lower the quality on them on the next batches.

I played a soprano in a store and saw a banjo uke at a meet-up, both seemed high quality and they have captured the vintage look rather well. If the soprano had only 12 frets and a mustache fretboard it would have looked like a beautifully maintained antique. I never judge friction tuners when they are new, give them a month to wear in. If they are still bad get a new set.

If the friction tuners don't improve, next time you change strings remove and examine them. My Kiwaya longneck soprano had what seemed like terrible friction tuners, I replaced them with some grover deluxe but in doing so I discovered that the two originals that were giving me trouble had somehow gotten some of the finish in them. They probably would have been okay if I'd cleaned and reinstalled them.

John

I'm in the market for an inexpensive mandolin ($200 to $250 or so), and naturally, I looked at the Gretsch line because I love my 5120 so much, but I've heard nothing good about them, and now I'm looking toward a Kentucky mandolin. I haven't tried the new models of Gretsch ukuleles and banjoukes, but I do like some of their older banjoukes.

I was impressed when I played the whole line at my local. Would recommend.

Color me impressed with the new Gretsch lams, too. My immediate thought after strumming these ukes at a local shop was, "Cool, another reasonably-priced, good-sounding uke I can recommend to friends that are just starting to play."

I did a demo of my new clarophone, where I pit it vs. vintage Maxitone..I also demo new Kala Tenor Resonator Ukulele and my Cigar Box concert uke I got for Christmas:

I am liking the look of the 9126. Anyone played their six string guitar-uke?

Top Bottom