Private Concert from Mike Young in Kauai

Gforeman

Reaction score
I really wanted to get a nice Ukulele in Hawaii. We were on the Kamoa Ukulele store in Kauai, and after spending a lot of time browsing, a guy came in, shirtless, after just finishing surfing. The lady in the store (Gigi) introduced Mike Young, a local singer/song writer, and handed him a Uke. He proceeded to give me and Tammy a private concert right there in the store. It kind of made our trip. He was also performing at a restaurant later that night, so we went there for dinner, and heard him again.

I apologize for the little bit of muffled audio, guess I had my finger over the Mic for about 30 seconds.

Thanks again Mike!

http://youtu.be/-5DUDuuKF6w

Yup, the aloha spirit still going strong on Kauai!

Mr. Aloha is awesome, love that guy. My family was on Kauai in April and happen to catch him at the Casablanca. Most friendly guy I ever met. Treats you like the two of you have been close buds for years even though you met him five minutes ago. Highly recommend you catch him performing if you make it to Kauai, was one of the highlights of the trip.

I learned last week That Mike has been diagnosed with Lung and Brain tumors (11+). I hear he is still trying to do his Casablanca gig, but it's not easy. This was so heartbreaking to hear. In the two days my wife and I knew him, we felt like he was our friend forever.

I'm praying for him.

If anyone here knows him, I have is address if you want to send him a card. I don't want to post it public on the web. He also has a recently set up Facebook page.

I just got an email from Gigi at the Kamoa Ukulele Company that Mike Young passed away yesterday morning. Mike was the kind of guy who made you feel like you have been friends forever. We met Mike in Kauai last year while in Hawaii at the Ukulele store. He put on a private concert just for us. We also went to his performance that night at a local establishment. Mike stopped and told everyone one in the place we were friends of his, just the kind of guy he was. Mike fought the hard battle against cancer and lost. We will miss you Mike. RIP.

Top Bottom