New Taylor set

sim4lin

Reaction score
Another Taylor Guitar "Builder's Reserve" guitar/ukulele set is out:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/builders-reserve

These are all mahogany and the guitar I especially love.
Love It... Love It... Love It!
I really like the ukulele as well and get more fond of it the more I look at it. (of course it would need proper friction tuners...)
I have no idea what the price is, and there are only 50, but I'm just looking. :)

TaylorSeriesVIII.jpg

Nice, I hope Taylor gets ukes into production in the next year or so.

Wierd thing, us dealers found out about it a few weeks ago. Asked our reps, the reps new nothing about it, they have no info on pricing, etc. We're hoping to get this set also. The Koa set we had went really, really fast!

We've asked if we could get more than one set this time, but it'll probably be 1 set per dealer again I'd imagine.

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

The last set hit the street at $14,000, so expect that as a price.
Keep in mind that was $5k more than what Taylor said the price should be

Daaa-aang! I love my Taylor guitar and I love ukes but if I ever pay anywhere near $10k in 2012 dollars* for a guitar and uke my family has permission to have me committed to an asylum...unless I hit a really large lottery.

*Notice how I cleverly left myself an escape clause in case the economy tanks and I live long enough to see the day when $10k for a instrument is the norm. :)

John

thank you for the posting...yes I understand well that they would try a mahogany set for the more deeper richer tones....
I wish I could afford a Koa and Mahogany set....ha ha there are always dreams....wonder if any of you rich guys are thinking of that...:eek::)

As a 4-time Taylor guitar owner, I'm anxiously waiting for Taylor to put ukes into production (w/o them being in a set).

In the price range of these ukes....I would prefer a Moore Bettah anyday, wonder why they have a so high cost even if it is a limited edition....wonder what is their marketing strategy? hmm
sell less and make money, less work???

In the price range of these ukes....I would prefer a Moore Bettah anyday, wonder why they have a so high cost even if it is a limited edition....wonder what is their marketing strategy? hmm

I'm just guessing here but I think the prices are high because these are not just limiteds but customs as well.
Admittedly, even though I really like this set, if I were paying custom money I would like to have some say in the result... different tuners, lighter sunburst, or whatever.
Now if they were to put ukuleles into production, that would be a different thing all together. A Taylor ukulele at a factory price -even a Taylor factory price- would be very sweet. :)

The uke & guitar sets were priced individually. Us dealers were encouraged to sell them as a set, but we didn't have to. But people want the set. The list price of the Taylor Koa uke was $2500, pretty cheap if you ask me. Andy Powers uke's are quite a bit more than that, and that's essentially what the Taylor uke's are :)

From the rumors I've heard they want 3 price points in the production uke's. probably a Mexico made uke around $400-500, and 2 US made uke's around $1k & $1500. But we'll just have to wait & see :)

Just saw the set at McCabes in Santa Monica and they were selling individually. I saw the price but didn't pay attention as I had no intent on buying one. I think it was either 5K+ or 6K+ for each.

As a 4-time Taylor guitar owner, I'm anxiously waiting for Taylor to put ukes into production (w/o them being in a set).
Taylor has said they have no intention to do so. They might change their mind, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

AMEN!!! add a Rick Turner, Peter Hurney, and a few others. It's like Dom Perignon Champagne. They spend 10.00 making the champagne and bottle, spend 25.00 for packaging in the incredibly cool and sexy box, throw 300 million in marketing out to the world (they are a Louis Vuitton Corp) and charge 125.00 for the bottle or more for the special reserve...and it's really just 10 bucks of juice. Then you get Domain St. Michelle for 12.00 bucks and it beats the pants off of Dom in a blind taste test (this is true) several years in a row. 125.00 and people think you have something incredible...then you blind taste it and watch everyone get pissed off who spent the 125.00 and everyone likes the 12.00 bottle better.....

I digress but if they can get people to fork over the money, G*d bless the free market....that's America right? If people keep paying for the price, they'll keep making them at that price or higher.

How about the $25,000 uke that has a diamond encrusted rosette with 24k gold foil binding and Austrailian fire opals for fretboard markers, not to mention the platinum and black onyx inlay in the headstock with blue sapphire and diamond side fret markets...no it doesn't exist but if money were no object and I hit the powerball next April when it comes to California, I'm flying to Chucks and forkin my design over and getting it built! :drool:

Last edited:
wonder what is their marketing strategy? hmm

From talking to everyone at NAMM this year, sound like they are fine tuning their ukes and working on a production uke. I think we'll see a production uke if not this January at NAMM, January 2014 NAMM. I think it's inevitable. So they're making limited "first run" ukuleles right now.

My shops got 2 of the Mahogany Uke sets on the way :D I'll give a full report and if I have time a video of them!

Top Bottom