New Koaloha tuners...

misterwonky

Reaction score
So I've decided to throw on some machine tuners and am running into some issues. Koaloha told me than most machines won't fit onto the head, so I'm looking at Gotoh minis.... but I can't find any threads that actually say which ones fit. Any suggestions? I intesersted in any machine tuner options.

I'm surprised that the KoAloha people didn't tell you which tuning machines they thought *would* fit. Could you replace the tuning machines you have with the ones KoAloha uses, or are you trying to change look/performance with new machines?

I'm surprised that the KoAloha people didn't tell you which tuning machines they thought *would* fit. Could you replace the tuning machines you have with the ones KoAloha uses, or are you trying to change look/performance with new machines?

Yeah I was actually surprised with that too... the email seemed like "Brian" was busy hah. It came with their quality friction tuners, but I hate friction tuners and am want I g to swap them out.

Last edited:
I asked Paul Okami the same question when I was wanting to switch out mine for Grover tuners and he said they wouldn't make the clearances. Here is something I found the other night after exhaustive internet searching.

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=264344

It looks like these would fit any of the smaller headstocks because that's what they look to be designed for.

I asked Paul Okami the same question when I was wanting to switch out mine for Grover tuners and he said they wouldn't make the clearances. Here is something I found the other night after exhaustive internet searching.

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=264344

It looks like these would fit any of the smaller headstocks because that's what they look to be designed for.

Those wold undoubtedly work, but I am a fan of normal tuning machines with a higher ratio. I will keep those as a backup idea if I can't find anything else. Thanks a bunch!

Now Koaloha did say that a certain, unspecified, Gotoh geared tuner will work with the concert headstock... and I'm assuming they were refering to the Mini 510s, but can't seem to find anything to back my assumption up.

Last edited:
Do you really need a 16;1 ratio with nylon strings? 4;1 gets 'em up to tension four times quicker and can dial 'em in just as easily and accurately. I have removed all of my Gotoh SHG 318s to replace them with PEGHEDS. The weight on the head end is only 1.15 ounces for all four of them. www.pegheds.net and, eared geared tuners cause a ukulele to not fit in some hard cases.

grace atsinds

Do you really need a 16;1 ratio with nylon strings? 4;1 gets 'em up to tension four times quicker and can dial 'em in just as easily and accurately. I have removed all of my Gotoh SHG 318s to replace them with PEGHEDS. The weight on the head end is only 1.15 ounces for all four of them. www.pegheds.net and, eared geared tuners cause a ukulele to not fit in some hard cases.

Yes I do. Just because they're nylon strings doesn't mean that players can slack on the tuning- I instantly notice when my strings are a few cents off. I've used PEGHEDS on a violin, I'm assuming they're the same thing, and I can't say bad stuff about them because they do their job, but I do feel as if they didn't feel nor look high-end at all. A normal set of tuning machines don't really weigh that much.... I'm not sure why weight would ever have anything to do with it, and if the weight absolutely becomes unbearable to my physique, I'll just add some ceiling fan weights around my soundhole :rolleyes:. Thanks for the reply though!

I can't say bad stuff about them because they do their job, but I do feel as if they didn't feel nor look high-end at all. A normal set of tuning machines don't really weigh that much.... !

Oh oh. Here we go again.

(BTW, I agree with you, mrwonk)

perhaps you have no idea of what goes on in making a peghed, or you cannot tell the difference between machined, anodised aluminum or plastic. It is obvious you have not been to www.pegheds.net to see that there are ebony grips; rosewood grips, two styles of boxwood grips, and two different sizes and two different styles of the composit buttons. What would have to be done to them for you to not consider them as looking "cheap"? Why do so many of the high end instruments have them?

Had my first go with Pegheds the other day - never used the, before. They work ok, but agree with above - really don't like the way they look

perhaps you have no idea of what goes on in making a peghed, or you cannot tell the difference between machined, anodised aluminum or plastic. It is obvious you have not been to www.pegheds.net to see that there are ebony grips; rosewood grips, two styles of boxwood grips, and two different sizes and two different styles of the composit buttons. What would have to be done to them for you to not consider them as looking "cheap"? Why do so many of the high end instruments have them?

Look guy, I thought you were just someone trying to help me... I didn't realize that you were trying to use shill to navigate others to your website; I didn't realize it because it's generally considered unacceptable, sometimes illegal, and almost always immoral. Even though you're derailing my topic, I'll go ahead and bite.

I consider pegheds cheap feelings and looking because it's a faux design (one that I consider terribly outdated), and doesn't utilize KISS. Using a taper bore on an exquisite high-end instrument to put, IMO, a gimmicky item on that might not be here in a few decades is quite silly to me. What could make it seem more high-end? Perhaps using something besides boxwood, ebony, and plastic on ukuleles..... perhaps if they started making them out of koa. Perhaps if they had swappable buttons that were made of high-end materials such as abalone, bone. The weight alone makes them feel inexpensive. If they were completely made out of metal, i still wouldn't even consider them when I could buy Gotoh Planetaries instead. By all means though, this is definitely not a bash on pegheds, but merely my very personal opinion and I can easily see why others would desire a lightweight classic faux design.

/shill derailment

I'm not afraid to use Pegheds on a $5,000 uke. For me they are the classiest tuners I can find and of superb quality. (I've actually cut one apart to see how it works; they are a marvel of engineering.) I go through great pains to shave a couple of grams here and there when I build an uke. So does an ounce make a difference to me? You bet it does! Pegheds aren't for everybody. My ukes aren't for everybody. I'm OK with that. It's a big world. Thank God there's room for everybody!

Attachments

• DSC_.0021.jpg
    DSC_.0021.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 39
There's no problems with clearance on the bottom tuners? If not I'm buying these right now.

No but those gears are super small and I haven't retro fitted them so they may not cover the hole from the friction tuner. I was thinking the 510's would be fine but the screw hole on the back might be close to the curve at the headstock bottom. There's a geared tuner with no screw. You'd have to drill a small anchor hole though. When I get to the store in a bit I will take a look, but the stealth idea on second thought may not work. It would make clearance at the bottom but might not fully cover the hole already there.

My custom has Pegheads. I LOVE them. Those who don't like them have perfectly valid reasons for not liking them...but for me their arguments against them are no concern to me. No need for emotion about it...you like what you like, you don't what you don't. No need to try to convince people they're wrong.

you like what you like, you don't what you don't. No need to try to convince people they're wrong.
Ya, totally. But people shouldn't take it personally if he doesn't want to use them. I think they work, aesthetically, with some high end pieces or those with a vintage kick back thing goin'. They are certainly good tuners but on a KoAloha, with it's design, I would personally go for those new gotoh's with the banjo style gear that were posted earlier by consitter. Those are really cool. Thanks for the link. But he wants a more standard 16 or 18:1 ratio gear off to the side. I was supposed to follow up on that/ Sorry mike was out most of the week and I forgot all about this helping in store, but the KoAloha gear tuner has no screw of to the side and I think that will be your problem with Gotoh or other mini tuners. They'll work but you would get some overhang. I would try Brian again and ask for a set of their KoALoha tuners or else call Mike at the store on Saturday and ask him.-808-622-8000- He'll go to KoALoha on Monday if you can't get through. Good luck, let us know

No, no they can't. PEGHEDS are a nice option, but 4:1 ain't you're only option.

@ TheCraftedCow,

Pardon me doing this publicly, but your persistent touting of those tuners is starting to get almost aggressive and is annoying other members. Furthermore you are in blatant breach of UU rules for repeatedly linking to your website outside of your forum signature.

Please read the rules and comply with them.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?14-Ukulele-Underground-Rules

If you keep spamming you'll be banned. If you keep aggressively plugging the product you'll be banned.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Top Bottom