What is the most unusual wood you have seen used to make a ukulele?

Duke of Harbord

Reaction score
Hi ukers,

I guess the title says it all – “What is the most unusual wood you have seen used to make a ukulele?” We've all heard of Koa, Mahogany, Spruce and the like, but have you used/seen perhaps more local or exotic woods used? It’ll be interesting to see what you've got to say.

BTW I’ll be showing some progress and completion photos of my first ukulele build in a post sometime soon, (this week hopefully) so keep tuned!

Kent

Carbon fiber as tonewood. Perhaps in the 24th century but not in my life time thanks.

I am currently making a tenor and concert with Torrey Pine, which only grows locally, for sides and back with a Bunya soundboard. Both will be donated to charity auctions which I do with everything I make.

Bamboo is weird, But Purple heart is exotic I guess.
The worst wood I have seen is maple as a top. Sides and back is cool.

If/when I have the money I really really want to put in an order with Mya-Moe for a uke with purpleheart sides and back and a redwood top. The looks will be out of this world, and I'm thinking the sound should be pretty good, too!

Curious if by "worst" you mean - sounding, as in worst tone wood, or worst as in worst looking (I.e unusual)?

I made a sopranino with a cedar top - "not so unusual," you say? But the cedar came from a grilling plank meant to be used to grill a salmon. I looked at many salmon grilling planks in several grocery stores until I found one that was quarter sawn.

I like the pallet wood, I'm building my bending machine and radius dishes at the moment. In my shop I have a weird poplar type wood used in the shipping of large sewer pipe... I'll be milling that for my first uke.

ukeeku, I have made some great sounding ukes with maple tops.

Might be one and the same, but one of the BEST sounding ukes I've heard and regret not buying was a flamed maple Compass Rose.

I'm building a tenor with iroko sides and mainly iroko top, with a strip of mahogany down the center (because the iroko wasn't wide enough) WP_001914.jpg

As for purple heartwood, everything I've read suggests that it's far too brittle to be used for anything other than binding or rosettes. Am I misinformed?

Java Bishopwood. Pix are on my website toward the end of Recent Work. There's nothing wrong with purpleheart for a tonewood.

I'm building a tenor with iroko sides and mainly iroko top, with a strip of mahogany down the center (because the iroko wasn't wide enough) View attachment 43829

As for purple heartwood, everything I've read suggests that it's far too brittle to be used for anything other than binding or rosettes. Am I misinformed?

I've got a purple heart body with spruce top concert that seems to be just fine. It would not be a good sound board.

4.jpg2.jpg5.jpg

Top Bottom