FS, wait Not FS- ever happen to you?

Tailgate

Reaction score
3 months into this fun (obsession) and I have 5 ukes and a guitar.. familiar story? I keep thinking of selling the 1st and 2nd ukes, Ibanez Rosewood soprano and Lanikai Curly Koa tenor.. even take some pics and get things in order.. but everytime I pick one up, they sound so GREAT and have their own sweet sound that I can't seem to put 'em up for sale.. ever happen to you?

Happens to me every other day.

I even list ukes on eBay, then change my mind about selling, and revise the listing price up so high no one would want to buy it. In the end, I keep most all of them.

But, God and my wife know: I tried. Lord, I tried.

All the time, the only one I could possibly part with is Astrid and she was a) very cheap and b) buzzes so I figure she's not worth much (if anything) and I have the whole, she was my first and everything. I couldn't sell any of the others because of sentimental value and the fact that to me they all sound different which means that I have reasons for keeping them! :music:

Happens to me every other day.

I even list ukes on eBay, then change my mind about selling, and revise the listing price up so high no one would want to buy it. In the end, I keep most all of them.

But, God and my wife know: I tried. Lord, I tried.

I saw those for sale and was worried about you. Those were nice ukes, glad you kept them. That explains the pricing on them.

Hey, we all got our vices, lots of ukes isn't so bad. :)

I saw those for sale and was worried about you. Those were nice ukes, glad you kept them. That explains the pricing on them.

Hey, we all got our vices, lots of ukes isn't so bad. :)

That said, Doc, I did sell five ukuleles in the past month. lol Sometimes ya just gotta say, "what the hey." lol

True, not a bad vice to have. Not a good one, either. Just not bad. lol

Oh my, yes. My Kamaka HF-3 doesn't get much play, because I prefer soprano and concert sized ukes. I have often thought I should sell it, but then I pick it up and I fall in love with the sound all over again. Last month I even offered to sell it to someone on here, but he decided to get something else instead. I was going to list it on Craigslist after that, but I had been dragging my feet getting the posting up even though I already had pics ready. I took it out of it's case last night, strummed a few songs on it, and have decided to keep it.

I think I am in the minority here. I've developed this crazy ability to literally switch off any sentimentality in my head towards inanimate objects, including ukes. I think I've sold about 15 ukes over the years and don't regret a single one. I'm the same way with stuff in my house. Once I decide it needs to go, I'm totally done with it. I think it's the product of moving 11 times over the past 11 years. ;)

You can only play one at a time and every one is different. The great thing about the size of a uke is that it does not take up much room, so you can keep a few.
You can buy a $50 starter uke and then save until you get a $2500 uke, a total cost of $2550, or you can get 51 ukes for $50 each, or somewhere in between. Overall you will have the same amount of enjoyment from the activity.

GREAT POINT!! but I'm going for volume so I can make me one of these :
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?71274-Ukulele-Cabinet

Great thread. I have pondered getting rid of a couple ukes to other good homes (preferably new uke players) and found I couldn't part with any. They each have a special sound. I am trying to keep my uas to unique ukes now. Next one is possibly a flea????

Something similar but slightly different seems to have happened to me a lot with guitars. It seems like every time I think something like, "you know, it's really not right to have that Taylor sitting in a case never getting touched, I should list it on eBay or Craig's list." Then, within a week something out of my control ("hey, John, can you lead the band two weeks from now so I can go on vacation?") comes up where I need to use the it after it hasn't been out of the case for a year.

Also, I'm at the point where I really, really want to unload some of my guitars and amps and maybe a bass or two...I'm spending good money for a climate-controlled storage unit...but every time I think about how much trouble it is to list something on eBay or Craig's list and then have to show it to prospective buyers or pack it for shipping I quickly lose interest... In fact, now that I think about it, over my life I've given away more instruments than I've sold. I guess you'd call that laziness...

John

Happens all the time! And I can think of quite a few I'd love to have back...like a really nice Loprinzi I let go about 6 or 7 years ago...

I got to a point the other day when I thought I would put some of my ukes on e bay, then I thought if I leave my dolphin in work and my Luna in the car, keep the travel uke for hiking and the fluke for camping, then the others are not a problem except for the Bruce Weiart which is not a full size soprano, this has to go soon, the others are now 'not' for sale because I have debated it out with myself and there is reason to keep them

Top Bottom