Should I Put Aquila Strings On My Mahalo Soprano?????

UkuleleHan96

Reaction score
so i have a Mahalo Soprano uke that was my first ever ukulele...i know Mahalos are cheap and not the best of ukes...but its a fun uke and i still like to play it from time to time so i was wondering if putting some Aquila strings on it would it have a better sound and improve the ukulele? would it give the mahalo the best sound that a mahalo could possibly get?

I'd go with Kamaka black nylon - I think it will fit the sound better and in my opinion the Nylguts have a little too much treble.

Go for it! Whilst the strings are off, it's worth filing down the bridge as well. I did this to mine and the difference was amazing :)

Aquila did improve to most factory set unbranded black nylon strings in entry levels ukes. :agree:

You can even put a low G on your Mahalo. I put a set of PEGHEDS on mine 4 on a diagonal from 3 to 1 and they all turn the same way to tune . ( www.pegheds.net) It is orange and black. Oregon State Beaver's colour are orange and black. There is a 1 1/2" long by 1" high profile of a beaver at a side port. I glued a piece of brown plush behind it so you see Beav, not the guts of the uke. That improved the sound noticeably. I drill #67 (about 1/ 32) holes in the trench behind the bridge saddle and string through the body. That also improves the sound. There are no fret markers top or side.Perhaps you have seen clipboards or some plastic whatever that looks like there is a light going through the edge. Mine is a 5 x 9 triangle for mechanical drawing. Put a piece of masking tape under the fourth string so it extends just a smidge toward the outside edge
Put a second piece of tape at the level of the bottom of the nut clear up to joining spot on the body. I used a file the same thickness as the plastic piece that glows on the edges, and filed a notch on the side closest to my nose at 3 - 5 - 7 - 10.
I put apiece of the high viz plastic in the noth and traced the edges with a pin for each of the four holes. VERY CAREFULLY cut out the tiny triangles remembering which side is up. I used Titebond II glu on a toothpick to put it in the notch, and then pushed the small triangles into place. They glow like they are small flourscent lights on the edge and also on the top. Last----I am a firm believer in--in your hands or in its case. She sat it on a desk. I was just about to tell her when she hit it with her elbow and dropped it on the concrete floor at the Orgeon State Fair. The back bout on the 4th string side has a dent that looks like she used a ballpeen hammer on it. My orande and black Mahalo soprano has a wooden black, rounded edged arm rest. It looks like it belongs, and really is more comfortable than the sharp edge. It is above the top by about 1/16th of an inch. Oh, it also has an orange strap with black leather ends. (one of the joys of professionally making ukulele t=straps in on of 16 different colours) Why all that for a Mahalo??
#1- I didn't want to do it on any of my expensive ukes #2 Because the fellow at
www.ukeeku.com said he wouldn't put PEGHEDS on a Mahalo. #3 Go BEAVS !!!

Last edited:
I had a cheap Mahalo U30, and I loved its tone with Aquilas.
Mahalos depend on the luck of the draw, I had a very good sounding one that Aquilas were perfect for :)

IMO, the Fremont Clears I put on my cheap Kala soprano sound better than the Aquillas that the factory put on. Brighter and more tension.

martin m600s are a marked improvement as well. as noted, take down the bridge and the nut while you are at it!

Fremont Blackline TENOR strings work well on cheap soprano and concerts for me.

Tension feels fine too, but it's a cheap uke anyway for you :)

I had a cheap Mahalo U30, and I loved its tone with Aquilas.
Mahalos depend on the luck of the draw, I had a very good sounding one that Aquilas were perfect for :)
Same here - my Mahalo is great with Aquilas! Do it......:D

I have put $17 worth strings on a $24 rogue. Loved it to death. Sometimes strings can really help a cheap uke.
:2cents:

Absolutely. The Mahalo is a great uke with cheap strings, and an even better uke with Aquilas. They really open up a lot with them, and are actually quite loud. I love my red Mahalo with Aquila strings. It's a joy to play.

Dan

Top Bottom