Tailgate

Reaction score
yep, got that too.. show us yours :drool:

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 94
Whoa. That looks like a serious case.

I realized I had SAS when I realized I'd spent enough money on strings to buy a ukulele. That's also when I started to recover.

]
yep, got that too.. show us yours :drool:

Amateur...

supplies.jpg

:)

Counting the tools (nut files, fret file, magnifying hood, etc.), some of which I removed to expose the strings, probably about $400 in this little plastic box...

Then...there's the other box with guitar and bass strings...

Hello...my name is John and I'm a toneaholic. I think I need help...

Oh...and the really sad thing is that today as I was stringing my resonator after installing a pickup I realized that a couple of those 25 meter rolls are nearly empty...

John

]

Amateur...

View attachment 43822

Counting the tools (nut files, fret file, magnifying hood, etc.), some of which I removed to expose the strings, probably about $400 in this little plastic box...

John

John, I notice the hemostats in there... what, pray tell, are those used for? I know what I used to use those for in the 70's :eek:

John, I notice the hemostats in there... what, pray tell, are those used for? I know what I used to use those for in the 70's :eek:

Oh...so you soldered a lot back in the 70's, too, then! I mean...that's the only other use I can imagine for them other than tieing strings... ;)

Holy moly.. I don't even have one extra set right now..
I did just have the local shop order me a few sets.. and I was looking at living water and aurora (colored strings on the fluke would be awesome) ..

]

Amateur...

View attachment 43822

Oh...and the really sad thing is that today as I was stringing my resonator after installing a pickup I realized that a couple of those 25 meter rolls are nearly empty...

John

Hi John! A mighty collection. Can I ask, are those rolls of fishing line? Can you use it as strings? Does this work out more cost effective than buying sets of strings? More info on this would be great! How do you know what type of line to use for each string? A different roll each for a,e,c&g strings? Can u use the same rolls for different scales - is differing tension an issue?

You have piqued my interest!!

Hi John! A mighty collection. Can I ask, are those rolls of fishing line? Can you use it as strings? Does this work out more cost effective than buying sets of strings? More info on this would be great! How do you know what type of line to use for each string? A different roll each for a,e,c&g strings? Can u use the same rolls for different scales - is differing tension an issue?

You have piqued my interest!!
John, just found old thread on this with your spreadsheet! Thanks for putting the work in!

John, just found old thread on this with your spreadsheet! Thanks for putting the work in!

No prob...I'm a bit of geek and every so often I have to prove it. :)

Some of the sizes are used in different "formulas" and those are the ones that I've almost managed to use up a whole roll. Of course, I do a lot of experimenting with strings until I find just the set that works for a given uke. Sometimes that's not even fluorocarbon...my mango tenor loves the Ko'Olau Gold nylon strings, for example.

John

Tupperware is what I need. I keep my strings in cigar boxes, grouped by size and one for lightly used strings, for when I break one.

Top Bottom