PDA

View Full Version : The 34th Season of the Ukulele: The I-V-vi-IV Progression

Pages : [1] 2 3

J-Peg
10-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Okay, the 34th season is officially closed for new entries and voting has begun.
Remember, if you entered a video into the contest (not just a bonus) you can vote for your first, second and third place picks. If you didn't enter you can vote for your one favorite. Just PM me with your choices (either their UU username or YouTube username is fine.) Voting closes at midnight next Sunday night October 21 Hawaii time.

Official Entries (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1OjDQ-xhrtTC5IU1mKe6q7FdLsgjDtxn)

Let me know if you're missing or on the wrong playlist or something.

And here's the bonus songs. Feel free to enter more bonus songs if you want. But don't neglect the ongoing 35th season to do so. ;)

Bonus Songs (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1OjDQ-xhrtQTAOcxdot97sOL5q5UWrs3)

---------------------------

It's the 34th Season of the Ukulele, and it's time for the most commonly used (some might say over-used) chord progression in modern pop music; the I-V-vi-IV progression, (a.k.a. the pop-punk progression, the four chord pop progression or simply the four chord song.)

So what does this "I-V-vi-IV" stuff mean to those of us who don't do Roman numerals? Well, if you're playing in the key of C (as we often are on the ukulele) the progression is C-G-Am-F. Simple, right? Just play those chords in that order, starting with the C, and hold each chord for the same number of beats, and you just played the I-V-vi-IV progression. But you don't have to play it in C. You can play it in G (G-D-Em-C) or in D (D-A-Bm-G) or any other key. You can hold each chord for one beat, two beats, four beats, doesn't matter, as long as they're all the same. You can strum it however you like (or pick it.) Any tempo, any rhythm, any style. Just as long as the song includes that progression.

Now I'm not saying you have to play just those four chords over and over and nothing else. Although there are songs that do just that, and I'm hoping to hear some of those songs. But I just want to hear the I-V-iv-IV in there somewhere. However, there will be bonus points for featuring it more prominently. (More on that in a minute.)

Rules:

must be an original video recorded for this competition

you must announce, either verbally or graphically. at either the beginning or end of the video, that it's for the 34th season of the ukulele

the song must include the I-V-iv-IV progression as described above

one-take videos only. I'm a big fan of multi-tracking, but this week I want to keep things simple.

although additional instruments are welcome, the ukulele should be the focus

one official entry per person. Bonus tracks are encouraged, but please label them clearly as such. If I'm unsure, I'll assume that your first unlabeled video is your entry.

multiple versions of the same song are not only allowed, they are encouraged. Maybe even inevitable. I like to hear what different people bring to the same song, so please please PLEASE just post it anyway, okay?

Scoring:

Winners will be chosen mostly by viewers' choice, but with a bunch of bonus points. I'm also stealing Ralf's rule that you're not eligible to win if you don't participate in the voting.

Everyone who enters the contest must vote for their 1st, 2nd and 3rd place choices. 1st place votes are worth 3 points, 2nd place are worth 2 points and 3rd place worth 1 point.

Any registered UU member who doesn't submit a video can vote for their single favorite video. These votes are worth 1 point.

Everyone will get some bonus points based on how prominently their song features the I-V-vi-IV progression, to a maximum of 10 points. Whatever approximate fraction of the song uses the progression, you get that fraction of 10 points. So if your song plays the progression over and over and nothing else, you get 10. If you play it half the time, you get 5. And so forth. Decisions regarding these points are solely at the judge's discretion (that would be me.)

3 bonus points if you write an original composition.

I really like hearing different people's takes on the same song. So I'm giving bonus points for multiple versions of the same song. If 2 people do the same song, they each get a point. If 3 people do it, they each get 2. If 4 or more people do it, they each get 3.

Prizes:
1st Prize - Hal Leonard's Four Chord Songbook. Not necessarily those four chords, but still a good book of simple songs.
AND
a Snark SN-8 clip-on chromatic tuner

2nd Prize - your choice of either of the two prizes listed above

3rd Prize - whichever prize the 2nd place winner doesn't take

Resources:
UK Ukulele Orchestra's Pop Song Medley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXTWembgpBQ)

Axis of Awesome - 4 Chord Song (live version) contains a small amount of profanity
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I)

Axis of Awesome - 4 Chord Song (studio version) contains a small amount of profanity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ)

or just google "I V vi IV", "four chord pop song", "pop punk progression" or variations of the these.
But note that other people's ideas of what a I-V-vi-IV progression is might not always conform to the rules of this thread. So double check the rules.

Also remember that every arrangement of a song you find, whether it's in a book or on the net, is just one person's idea of what chords to play for that song. So even if somebody else says it's not a I-V-vi-IV song, if you like how it sounds, play it that way, That's your arrangement of the song.

And yeah, I realize this theme is a little different from the usual. But I ask that you give it a try. It'll be fun. (I hope.)

EDIT:
I forgot - deadline is midnight Sunday night October 14th Hawaii time

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Great challenge, J-Peg! You're sure to get a wild assortment of entries.

Cool scoring system, too; I like that everyone on UU is welcome to vote.

OldePhart
10-06-2012, 03:41 PM
This looks like an interesting week, J-Peg...but you do realize that you're probably going to have to listen to many renditions of "Hey, Soul, Sister" - right? :)

John

J-Peg
10-06-2012, 04:06 PM
I'll actually be disappointed if I don't get at least two versions each of "Hey, Soul Sister", "I'm Yours", "Let It Be" and "Waltzing Mathilda". :cool:
But I'm hoping for some variety, too.

decaturcomp
10-06-2012, 05:14 PM
W00t! Thanks!!!
Sounds like fun. This is a bonus, mmmkay?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBWcjZvhxu4

J-Peg
10-06-2012, 05:19 PM
W00t! Thanks!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBWcjZvhxu4 (youtube;UBWcjZvhxu4)

Awesome! Great way to kick things off!

Wongo
10-06-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm going to make this my very first entry to the season. I can't wait, nervous already.

barefootgypsy
10-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Oh wow, what a great theme! Determined to find something for this -

barefootgypsy
10-07-2012, 12:50 AM
W00t! Thanks!!!
Ooh, a great song to get us in the mood! FAB........

Tootler
10-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Good list here: http://www.clicheprogressions.com/

and another one: http://youtu.be/OdVurJFMDUI

Of course it rules out a lot of folk songs as the melodies are in modes other than major (or minor) so need completely different chord progressions. Pity, but there we are. I will have to do something else.

J-Peg
10-07-2012, 02:42 AM

Of course it rules out a lot of folk songs as the melodies are in modes other than major (or minor) so need completely different chord progressions. Pity, but there we are. I will have to do something else.

Good find. A lot of good stuff there.
Just to clarify the rules though, in that second link, the poster says :

FOR MUSIC THEORY GEEKS:
Most of the songs were in a major key, with the chord progression truly being I-V-vi-IV. There were, however, a few songs in minor; with a i-VI-III-VII chord progression. This minor-key chord progression is *enharmonically equivalent* to vi-IV-I-V. So for such songs, the chord progression is repeated at least twice during the song (e.g., vi, IV-[I-V-vi-IV]-I-V) you'll obviously see that right in the middle of the doubled chord sequence (in brackets) is "I-V-vi-IV."

I was hoping this topic would come up early in the thread.
To my way of thinking, the vi-IV-I-V is a different progression than the I-V-vi-IV. The fact that they overlap when repeated doesn't make them the same thing. I understand the argument otherwise, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for this contest, if it doesn't start at the same place, it's not the same progression. That's why the rules say you have to start on the I chord.

And I'm not sure how old a song has to be to qualify as "folk." (I am sure you know more about folk music than I do.) But there's a relatively modern Australian folk song that uses this progression intermittently. It would have a fairly low bonus point value, but I think it would suit your style quite well.

Or you could step further outside your comfort zone. That's fun too.

decaturcomp
10-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Yessssssss....
Party on, Wongo!

I'm going to make this my very first entry to the season. I can't wait, nervous already.

J-Peg
10-07-2012, 04:50 AM

Welcome to the seasons! Looking forward to your entry.

And there's no need to be nervous. We're usually very nice to the noobies.

Tootler
10-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Good find. A lot of good stuff there.
Just to clarify the rules though, in that second link, the poster says :

I was hoping this topic would come up early in the thread.
To my way of thinking, the vi-IV-I-V is a different progression than the I-V-vi-IV. The fact that they overlap when repeated doesn't make them the same thing. I understand the argument otherwise, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for this contest, if it doesn't start at the same place, it's not the same progression. That's why the rules say you have to start on the I chord.

I noticed the comment but didn't take a lot of notice of it at the time. I do agree with you that what they are saying is actually a bit of a fudge, but then music theory is like that at times. There are "rules" which you learn, then once you have learnt them, you break them. However I agree with your stance on this one.

And I'm not sure how old a song has to be to qualify as "folk." (I am sure you know more about folk music than I do.) But there's a relatively modern Australian folk song that uses this progression intermittently. It would have a fairly low bonus point value, but I think it would suit your style quite well.

Or you could step further outside your comfort zone. That's fun too.

It's not age that that qualifies something as folk it's got more to do with music transmitted orally. Such songs and tunes, because they were transmitted orally often got changed in the process and so different versions of the song came to exist and there is no one definitive version. It pretty much rules out any music formally published in sheet music form.

Exactly what constitutes folk music has been the subject of long and heated debates as, like all musical genres, the boundaries are somewhat fuzzy. I tend to use the working definition of "Popular music of the past transmitted orally".

However that's an aside. I have one or two thoughts and one possibility is to write a tune to existing words. It will take me outside my comfort zone as I usually write melodies first then fit the harmonies afterwards whereas this means starting with a harmonic progression and fitting a melody to it.

decaturcomp
10-07-2012, 05:28 AM
I'm not a trained musician by any stretch but couldn't you use the initial two chords as an intro then pick up on the lyrics with the latter two?
Or is that just a double fudge?

I noticed the comment but didn't take a lot of notice of it at the time. I do agree with you that what they are saying is actually a bit of a fudge, but then music theory is like that at times. There are "rules" which you learn, then once you have learnt them, you break them. However I agree with your stance on this one.

It's not age that that qualifies something as folk it's got more to do with music transmitted orally. Such songs and tunes, because they were transmitted orally often got changed in the process and so different versions of the song came to exist and there is no one definitive version. It pretty much rules out any music formally published in sheet music form.

Exactly what constitutes folk music has been the subject of long and heated debates as, like all musical genres, the boundaries are somewhat fuzzy. I tend to use the working definition of "Popular music of the past transmitted orally".

However that's an aside. I have one or two thoughts and one possibility is to write a tune to existing words. It will take me outside my comfort zone as I usually write melodies first then fit the harmonies afterwards whereas this means starting with a harmonic progression and fitting a melody to it.

strumsilly
10-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Long live fudge. what's not to like: chocolate, lots of fat and sugar. mmmmmmmmmmmm. and double fudge, I don't know , that could be fattening, and how do you double it? eat 2x as much I suppose, but that might be too much of a good thing.
decaturcomp, love your easy style, and the plethora of songs you're churning out. Fishing blues and Tennessee Stud, haven't heard them in years. thanks

decaturcomp
10-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Thanks brother. I'm a fan of your music, esp the grace and heart shining through the silliness.

Long live fudge. what's not to like: chocolate, lots of fat and sugar. mmmmmmmmmmmm. and double fudge, I don't know , that could be fattening, and how do you double it? eat 2x as much I suppose, but that might be too much of a good thing.
decaturcomp, love your easy style, and the plethora of songs you're churning out. Fishing blues and Tennessee Stud, haven't heard them in years. thanks

J-Peg
10-07-2012, 06:21 AM
I'm not a trained musician by any stretch but couldn't you use the initial two chords as an intro then pick up on the lyrics with the latter two?
Or is that just a double fudge?

Well.... where you end it also matters. There's a fine line between fudging the rules and breaking them. Just as an example, take Sarah McLachlan's "Building a Mystery."

Am F C G
'Cause you're working building a mystery
Am F C G
holding on and holding it in
Am F C G
yeah you're working building a mystery
Am F C G
and choosing so carefully

It's pretty evident in this particular song that each line begins with the iv and ends with the V. Adding an intro doesn't really change that. Just play the chords without the melody and then stop and play C-G-Am-F and they just sound different. Related, yes, but not the same.

Now I'm not really a trained musician either. All I know of theory is what I've picked up along the way. But I look at progressions like sentences in an essay or story. In the same way you put words together to make sentences, you put chords together to make a progression. And a progression forms a complete and distinct musical "idea" and makes musical sense in much the same way a sentence stands alone and expresses an idea linguistically. That idea might not mean much removed from its context, but it still can stand alone and make sense.

So going with that analogy, let's say I write the following:

"I own a dog.
Jack, who lives next door, does not like my dog."

The following sentence was not in there, even though the words were there in the same order.

"I own a dog, Jack, who lives next door."

Just my opinion. But that's what we're going with this week. Bottom line, if it sounds like you're circumventing the rule, you probably are. Music isn't really as cut and dried as we try to make it sometimes. So I'm not gonna get all uptight about it.

But I do find the discussion interesting.

J-Peg
10-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Just to be clear, I'm not gonna run around this thread beating people on the head with my judge's gavel telling them they broke the rules. Make your best effort to conform to the spirit of the theme. Play what you like and post what you play.

I'll save my nitpicky tendencies for when I hand out the bonus points. :cool:

decaturcomp
10-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Actually, may I thank you both for explaining a good bit of stuff I'd hear of but didn't understand?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDq9ekuZ18

Just to be clear, I'm not gonna run around this thread beating people on the head with my judge's gavel telling them they broke the rules. Make your best effort to conform to the spirit of the theme. Play what you like and post what you play.

Dougf
10-07-2012, 07:03 AM

I just wanted to point out that the wikipedia article on the Pop-punk progression says "It can also be used in the form vi-IV-I-V, which was dubbed the sensitive female chord progression by Boston Globe Columnist Marc Hirsh."

Here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-punk_chord_progression

Dan Uke
10-07-2012, 07:37 AM
I just wanted to point out that the wikipedia article on the Pop-punk progression says "It can also be used in the form vi-IV-I-V, which was dubbed the sensitive female chord progression by Boston Globe Columnist Marc Hirsh."

Here's the link:

We all know that wikipedia is not the end all even though that's the first place I usually go. However, I think Jpeg stated that he wanted I-V-vi-IV progression so I think we should honor it.

J-Peg
10-07-2012, 07:38 AM

Here's the link:

Just because you can that doesn't mean you should. :p

:deadhorse:

Okay, seriously, I'm not gonna get all wrapped around the axle on this. We try to keep a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere in this joint. So if anybody really wants to do a vi-IV-I-V song, feel free. I don't plan to spend any time or energy doing chord analysis until it's time to award bonus points. And even then I won't bother unless you stand a mathematical chance of breaking into the top three. Until then I'm just going to listen and enjoy.

J-Peg
10-07-2012, 08:15 AM
We all know that wikipedia is not the end all even though that's the first place I usually go. However, I think Jpeg stated that he wanted I-V-vi-IV progression so I think we should honor it.

Thanks for your support, nongdam. What I really want is for everyone to have fun sharing their music and listening to everyone else's. Any rules are secondary to that.

UncleElvis
10-07-2012, 08:31 AM

This . . .

Dougf
10-07-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm not trying to be a trouble maker, but if people google "punk-pop progression", this kind of stuff comes up. And I think I might like to try a "sensitive female chord progression" song. :)

Anyway, here's a bonus I did for the 21st season (french week) that uses I V vi IV in the bridge (et je nage...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCe9_B4T5q0

strumsilly
10-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Bob Marley used it, and so did Lennon/McCartney , so it's gotta be good, even if I do it. Glad to be back in the land of the living, thanks be to God.

http://youtu.be/6tGdWWOx1Tc

xommen
10-07-2012, 09:36 AM
I actually wanted to participate at least once in a season of the ukulele ;-), and this one is perfect as I like to play U2 songs on my Uke. I chose this song because it fit the rules, as it's C GAm F in the key I play it in. I normally play Gsus in stead of G as it fits better, but G is fine and is what I used in the Video. I'm not left by the way, I recorded the video with my MacBook in Photo Booth and you can not change the mirror setting of the camera in that application as far as I know. The uke is my Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYX57l7OH58&

J-Peg
10-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Actually, may I thank you both for explaining a good bit of stuff I'd hear of but didn't understand?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDq9ekuZ18 (youtube;gPDq9ekuZ18)

Excellent job, as always. Except that I kept getting the urge to turn my computer upside down to watch it.

Bob Marley used it, and so did Lennon/McCartney , so it's gotta be good, even if I do it. Glad to be back in the land of the living, thanks be to God.
http://youtu.be/6tGdWWOx1Tc (youtube_share;6tGdWWOx1Tc)

Good to have you back. I would never have thought of mixing those two songs, but lyrically they work surprisingly well together.

I actually wanted to participate at least once in a season of the ukulele ;-), and this one is perfect as I like to play U2 songs on my Uke. I chose this song because it fit the rules, as it's C GAm F in the key I play it in. I normally play Gsus in stead of G as it fits better, but G is fine and is what I used in the Video. I'm not left by the way, I recorded the video with my MacBook in Photo Booth and you can not change the mirror setting of the camera in that application as far as I know. The uke is my Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYX57l7OH58& (youtube;TYX57l7OH58)

Welcome aboard! I was hoping someone would do that song, and you did it very well.
Hopefully you'll stick around for future seasons too.

krabbers
10-07-2012, 10:45 AM
http://youtu.be/FYmp3HtakWM

krabbers
10-07-2012, 10:49 AM

Brilliant. At our jam we do price tag/ over the rainbow / let it be / withorwith you / no woman /and whatever comes to mind at the time

Hippie Dribble
10-07-2012, 11:03 AM

brilliant krabbers, one of the best things I ever heard. Right up there with your mash up of price tag/wonderful world

J-Peg
10-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Playlists are up at the bottom of the first post.

Hippie Dribble
10-07-2012, 11:17 AM
one of the best things on yootoob last year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZW-AuuFkt8

barefootgypsy
10-07-2012, 11:28 AM
This was my entry but I've decided to make this a bonus song now. Sorry for any inconvenience caused, fellow Seasonistas...... the song that WAS a bonus is now my entry..... :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU4TNo-sC0s

barefootgypsy
10-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Agreed! Bloomin' wonderful.......

krabbers
10-07-2012, 11:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZW-AuuFkt8
Thank you very much. I feel I could have done better. But having a bad day. So cheers

Hippie Dribble
10-07-2012, 11:37 AM
anyone looking for inspiration? This is an Aussie comedy trio who caused quite a stir a year or two back with this (WARNING: some swearing here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I&feature=related

fitncrafty
10-07-2012, 11:44 AM
brilliant krabbers, one of the best things I ever heard. Right up there with your mash up of price tag/wonderful world

:agree:whole heartedly! Fantastic work!

J-Peg
10-07-2012, 04:22 PM
http://youtu.be/FYmp3HtakWM (youtube_share;FYmp3HtakWM)

Wow. I never realized how melancholy and plaintive the Beastie Boys could be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZW-AuuFkt8 (youtube;fZW-AuuFkt8)

I saw this vid in another thread and fell in love with it immediately. A true krabbers classic.
If you don't mind, krabbers, I'm adding it to the bonus song playlist since it does fit the parameters of the challenge.

Here's mine - early for once! What a great bunch of songs there are for this theme! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU4TNo-sC0s (youtube;oU4TNo-sC0s)

Great song. I'm expecting a lot of pop music this week, so it's nice to hear some country this early on. Good job with it too.
I actually live about an hour away from the Shenandoh River, and a couple of times in the last month my job has taken me through the West Virginia hills across the Shenandoah. I can see why John Denver was inspired to write about it.

Jazzbanjorex
10-07-2012, 04:42 PM
I started looking for a song and decided that writing an original would be faster. This song is where this chord progression took me. Hope you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDhztq_bD8

Hippie Dribble
10-07-2012, 04:55 PM
a sweet song from Hair called 'Frank Mills'. My first ever car video, with thanks to krabbers for lending me his tuner...he he :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioqE9VQc_A

ukuleledaddy
10-07-2012, 06:05 PM
a sweet song from Hair called 'Frank Mills'. My first ever car video, with thanks to krabbers for lending me his tuner...he he :p

Solid from start to finish! I love the little note at the end. Never heard that tune before. Great stuff.
And by the way, nice shirt Jon!!

ukuleledaddy
10-07-2012, 06:09 PM

Brilliant. I thought it sounded familiar at first but there was no doubt when you got to the lyric about his mom throwing away his best porno mag. I was sixteen when that song came out. Some lyrics you never forget.

strumsilly
10-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Always liked this song by Old Crow Medicine Show, "Wagon Wheel" , and what do you know , it has the desired progression

http://youtu.be/1BegPVPpFrY

29moons
10-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Awsome Krabbers! That was so cool and inspirational. I love the Beastie Boys. You took that and totally made it your own.

29moons
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Great as usual Jon. I loved your approach and that's a great one for you first car video. Notice that the car vids are usually during the winter and early spring? All my car videos were when it was cold outside and U couldn't record anywhere in my house.

uke4ia
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM

Interesting song choice. Hair is one of the few musicals I know well enough that I could sing along with most of this. I made a try at "The Flesh Failures" for the Broadway contest that was too lousy to post.

krabbers
10-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Wow. I never realized how melancholy and plaintive the Beastie Boys could be.

I saw this vid in another thread and fell in love with it immediately. A true krabbers classic.
If you don't mind, krabbers, I'm adding it to the bonus song playlist since it does fit the parameters of the challenge.,

Don't mind at all, thank you for your kind words

TCK
10-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Krabbers does it again
Huge smile on face, not leaving any time soon.
RIP MCA

UncleElvis
10-07-2012, 09:22 PM

You, sir, are completely out of your mind.
Mad, I tell you, MAD!

And I desperately need to hang with you.

UncleElvis
10-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Jon. You're simply amazing. When I make my gajillions, I'm coming to hang with you for, like, a week and we're going to just play and play and play... and make pinball machines!

erivel
10-07-2012, 09:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYX57l7OH58&

Nicely done and welcome to the Seasons! I was just about to do this tune too....

erivel
10-07-2012, 09:50 PM

I love this one Jon! Ever hear the Lemonheads version of it?

barefootgypsy
10-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Great song. I'm expecting a lot of pop music this week, so it's nice to hear some country this early on. Good job with it too.
I actually live about an hour away from the Shenandoh River, and a couple of times in the last month my job has taken me through the West Virginia hills across the Shenandoah. I can see why John Denver was inspired to write about it.Thanks J-Peg for watching and for your kind words! Much appreciated.

Barbablanca
10-07-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm, enjoying this challenge already and planning my entry - busy translating - don't now if I'll get the time.

Just thought I'd take a break to say I really enjoyed the fun "Land Down Under" and was pleased to actually hear a version which concentrates on the fun lyrics, which tended to get lost in the production on the original.

The Beastie Boys song was a gas too. Didn't know it... thanks for the introduction.

And that original song has a wonderful first verse. I really like the idea of developing that "cultural" difference between the approach of a lot of women and that of a lot of men. I once walked around a mall with a 15 year old boy (son of a friend) and he said: "Let's imagine, for a moment, that women didn't exist. If that were the case, how many of these shops would still be here?"

......We counted three :rolleyes: ;)

UkeyDave
10-08-2012, 04:13 AM
Here is my entry. I love the sentiments of the lyrics to this song. Apologies for the problems with the croaky voice at 3:05 but it was done in just two takes which is good for me. I do find that the seasons are helping me to slowly make progress with my uke playing which I know is still pretty "beginnerish" but the fun making these entries is becoming a little addictive. I do love to see everyone's different interpretations of songs and it helps inspire me to pick up my uke and improve my playing. Enjoy fellow seasonists.

http://youtu.be/cPG6HPiUN58

Skinny Money McGee
10-08-2012, 04:55 AM

Lol, great video. Thought your eyebrows were going to fall on the floor while playing that blue plastic thingy

barefootgypsy
10-08-2012, 04:59 AM
Here is my entry. I love the sentiments of the lyrics to this song. Apologies for the problems with the croaky voice at 3:05 but it was done in just two takes which is good for me. I do find that the seasons are helping me to slowly make progress with my uke playing which I know is still pretty "beginnerish" but the fun making these entries is becoming a little addictive. I do love to see everyone's different interpretations of songs and it helps inspire me to pick up my uke and improve my playing. Enjoy fellow seasonists. Being very "beginnerish" myself, I agree absolutely with your sentiments about the Seasons here! And you are so right about different versions of the songs. It put me off at first if someone did a song I was practising - but not any more. The fun is rather addictive but I find it's making me come to grips with some tricky chord changes - which is good! I love your strumming pattern here - beginnerish? - nah! Loved it! :D

barefootgypsy
10-08-2012, 05:03 AM

Oh, such a sweet song! Haven't heard this for so many years! Lovely rendition.....

decaturcomp
10-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Nice one Xom!
Need to hear more from you.
Mind if we call you Lefty until you get your camera sorted? (Just kidding)
I think if you use Photo Booth goto the edit menu and choose Auto flip new photos.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_to_change_built_in_MacBook_Pro_camera_to_mirro r_image#ixzz28iXfLF1F

HawaiianHibiki
10-08-2012, 05:56 AM
May do "Im yours" then o.O xD

I'll actually be disappointed if I don't get at least two versions each of "Hey, Soul Sister", "I'm Yours", "Let It Be" and "Waltzing Mathilda". :cool:
But I'm hoping for some variety, too.

wee_ginga_yin
10-08-2012, 07:09 AM
A segment of The Happy song by Delirious? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAs_qb112ls)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8J7DAE3ge4

krabbers
10-08-2012, 07:10 AM
You, sir, are completely out of your mind.
Mad, I tell you, MAD!

And I desperately need to hang with you.
i dont think you know how close you are to the truth ... sad but true .

krabbers
10-08-2012, 07:17 AM

excellent
thanks for the shout out . my horn is c#

decaturcomp
10-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Schooly as a gidgirl.
luvely.
what was a wee tyke like yerself doing in a poolhall, though?

A segment of The Happy song by Delirious? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAs_qb112ls)

krabbers
10-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Brilliant. I thought it sounded familiar at first but there was no doubt when you got to the lyric about his mom throwing away his best porno mag. I was sixteen when that song came out. Some lyrics you never forget.

thanks very much. apart from the Avett bros, the beastie boys are the only other band where i have the entire back catologue

krabbers
10-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Always liked this song by Old Crow Medicine Show, "Wagon Wheel" , and what do you know , it has the desired progression

http://youtu.be/1BegPVPpFrY

great song choice i love this song,

decaturcomp
10-08-2012, 07:23 AM
In the pre-tuner days I was told that a four ft long fluorescent light hummed a pretty solid Bflat, so...there's that.

excellent

krabbers
10-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Awsome Krabbers! That was so cool and inspirational. I love the Beastie Boys. You took that and totally made it your own.

me too thanks for the cool comment

krabbers
10-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Krabbers does it again
Huge smile on face, not leaving any time soon.
RIP MCA

yep. RIP MCA, so sad

decaturcomp
10-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Excellent job on the open mic anthem!

decaturcomp
10-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Really nice job on a song that still gets sung around my house now and again.
Fine video, too.
Better than many from the baby days of MTV before they became a pregnancy show channel.
We need a car video season!

krabbers
10-08-2012, 07:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ObPAM5Uxg

brains not working well at the moment, i know this song inside out but had trouble remembering the words

decaturcomp
10-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Well done! Spirit, enthusiasm and just damn well playing will take you anywhere you want to go and you're doing great already.

Here is my entry. I love the sentiments of the lyrics to this song. Apologies for the problems with the croaky voice at 3:05 but it was done in just two takes which is good for me. I do find that the seasons are helping me to slowly make progress with my uke playing which I know is still pretty "beginnerish" but the fun making these entries is becoming a little addictive. I do love to see everyone's different interpretations of songs and it helps inspire me to pick up my uke and improve my playing. Enjoy fellow seasonists.

decaturcomp
10-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Alan looks admiringly around the song:
"Love what you've done with the place!"

brains not working well at the moment, i know this song inside out but had trouble remembering the words

krabbers
10-08-2012, 07:37 AM

nice one Bob . i should have kept my beard, its freezing today

decaturcomp
10-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Woah!
Faster to write that than to learn another song?
Would you mind switching brains, please?
That was terrific!

I started looking for a song and decided that writing an original would be faster. This song is where this chord progression took me. Hope you like.

Barbablanca
10-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Here is my entry. I love the sentiments of the lyrics to this song....

Me too. I'd heard that on the radio, but as background music. There is nothing like a simple single instrument and a human voice for making you concentrate on the lyrics and really appreciating them. Nice one Dave!

we tigers
10-08-2012, 09:01 AM

Wow... I used to be a big Beastie Boys fan back in the days in high school. When MCA died earlier this, I revisited that BB-phase and played a lot of their records (my 20 months old twins rally dig the Beastie Boys). Krabbers, your song felt like a homage to them. Thanks for a lovely rendition.

peewee
10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Krabbers, you created a monster with your Beasties version, I've decided to apply your approach to another great NYC poet. Results are mixed, I flubbed the timing a couple of times...but here it is, the Walt Whitman Power Ballad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0jJSIPhHAo

Here's the full text... (http://www.bartleby.com/142/86.html)

krabbers
10-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Wow... I used to be a big Beastie Boys fan back in the days in high school. When MCA died earlier this, I revisited that BB-phase and played a lot of their records (my 20 months old twins rally dig the Beastie Boys). Krabbers, your song felt like a homage to them. Thanks for a lovely rendition.

funny thing is, fight for your right is my least favourite BB's track. but it was, thanks

krabbers
10-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Krabbers, you created a monster with your Beasties version, I've decided to apply your approach to another great NYC poet. Results are mixed, I flubbed the timing a couple of times...but here it is, the Walt Whitman Power Ballad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0jJSIPhHAo

excellent, nice delivery

erivel
10-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Cool theme this week J-Peg! Here's my entry. The progression is in the chorus. Sorry for the crummy audio. Had to record this one quickly...my daughter had no school today, so she's watching a DVD, which you can in the background...

http://youtu.be/pHz9hg3t84Y

Joko
10-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Now that was unexpected and amazing.

krabbers
10-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Cool theme this week J-Peg! Here's my entry. The progression is in the chorus. Sorry for the crummy audio. Had to record this one quickly...my daughter had no school today, so she's watching a DVD, which you can in the background...

http://youtu.be/pHz9hg3t84Y

excellent uke skillz,

krabbers
10-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Now that was unexpected and amazing.

thanks very much Joko

we tigers
10-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Nice one Erivel! I was waiting to see if you would try and tackle that high note... Wise man...
Excellent!

xommen
10-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I did a bonus track, as I realised this song fits the criteria.
It was one of my attempts at writing a song, in my opinion it's ok at best, enjoy ;-).
Oh and I used my camera to not be a lefty anymore, but the tip I got does fix it in Photo Booth ;-).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_bLjOcPCJ8

krabbers
10-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Alan looks admiringly around the song:
"Love what you've done with the place!"

thanks for looking around

peewee
10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
excellent, nice delivery

Thanks Krabbers!

krabbers
10-08-2012, 10:27 AM
It was one of my attempts at writing a song, in my opinion it's ok at best, enjoy ;-).
Oh and I used my camera to not be a lefty anymore, but the tip I got does fix it in Photo Booth ;-).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_bLjOcPCJ8
nice work, i do like originals, well done

Barbablanca
10-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Nice one Peewee. I'm a big Whitman fan myself. And hey, you've given me an idea for a theme for a future season. How about putting the words of a famous poem to the tune of a famous pop song. If anyone goes for this, I'll enter one I used to have in my repertory, some years back. No spoilers ;)

wee_ginga_yin
10-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Schooly as a gidgirl.
luvely.
what was a wee tyke like yerself doing in a poolhall, though?

Just hanging around to see if anybody listens to the end of songs, and seeing if they will jump up and jump around.

nice one Bob . i should have kept my beard, its freezing today

Yeah I have been letting mine go since the winter is coming on, but having your beard go white
means that people are expecting you to tell them the truth about something, and you have to dissuade
them that you have never been to Mount Sinai. I blame Charlton Heston and Cecil B. Demille

Hippie Dribble
10-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Solid from start to finish! I love the little note at the end. Never heard that tune before. Great stuff.
And by the way, nice shirt Jon!!
thanks Sean. LOVE the tshirt brother...apparently these guys are one of the coolest uke groups in Portland

Great as usual Jon. I loved your approach and that's a great one for you first car video. Notice that the car vids are usually during the winter and early spring? All my car videos were when it was cold outside and U couldn't record anywhere in my house.
cheers brother for the nice comment. Was definitely happy with the way it came out

Interesting song choice. Hair is one of the few musicals I know well enough that I could sing along with most of this. I made a try at "The Flesh Failures" for the Broadway contest that was too lousy to post.
cheers Jim...yeah not a pop song that would readily come to mind...doesn't have the seamless flow of most of 'em and is very lyric heavy, nor does it rhyme anywhere. First saw a production of Hair in the early 90's. I noticed most composers and songwriters don't rate the score but i fell in love with the songs instantly and I still play the soundtrack today. It's got some sentimental memories and attachments to those years in my life. Thanks again mate

Tootler
10-08-2012, 11:05 AM
excellent

In the pre-tuner days I was told that a four ft long fluorescent light hummed a pretty solid Bflat, so...there's that.

Where our recorder group used to practice the heater was an old night storage heater and the fan used to hum low Ab.

Hippie Dribble
10-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Jon. You're simply amazing. When I make my gajillions, I'm coming to hang with you for, like, a week and we're going to just play and play and play... and make pinball machines!
ha ha, thanks E. mate I'll build you a pinnie anytime...but I am in need of a trip to Bermuda :p

I love this one Jon! Ever hear the Lemonheads version of it?
yeah Eric, it was my first intro to the song actually. I was gone on their 'It's A Shame About Ray' record for YEARS..still am...learnt how to play every song on the record and when I used to do my little acoustic guitar gigs, I became known as the Evan Dando lookalike (had long hair back then). Also have a couple of weird six degrees of separation stories I won't bore you with now..but yep, thanks brother

excellent
ha ha...always wondered 'bout that. Cheers mate.

Oh, such a sweet song! Haven't heard this for so many years! Lovely rendition.....
many thanks for watching Lesley. Yeah, it's a sweetie eh.

Hippie Dribble
10-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Where our recorder group used to practice the heater was an old night storage heater and the fan used to hum low Ab.
I always thought I sung pretty good in B flat. Most people reckon it's B awful though...

Hippie Dribble
10-08-2012, 11:31 AM

great stuff Andy. Two brilliant songs for the price of one brother, you did a great job of mixin em together. So glad you're back home where you belong. You remain in our prayers mate and lookin forward to seeing you get stronger every day

Tootler
I was catching up with the entries last night when - disaster of disasters - The page wouldn't refresh. O s**t I thought and went downstairs to try resetting the modem. When I got downstairs, no TV. I rang up the ISP and it turned out there were problems somewhere up the line (we're on cable). Fortunately it was all back this morning but I have had a bit of a marathon catch up.

I have put comments in the You Tube vids for all the entries. Some really good ones.

WGY has excelled himself again and there were some great vids from krabbers. Loved peewee's recitation against a strummed background. Many more. Please look on your vids. I have commented on everyones. (I think)

erivel
excellent uke skillz,

Thanks Krabbers!

Nice one Erivel! I was waiting to see if you would try and tackle that high note... Wise man...
Excellent!

Ha ha! Many have tried, many have failed...

Tootler
10-08-2012, 11:33 AM
I always thought I sung pretty good in B flat. Most people reckon it's B awful though...

Can't go wrong singing in Ab :smileybounce:

Jinxi
10-08-2012, 11:42 AM

I'm thinking about doing the same and make this my first season. No promises, though. I know people here are really nice but my nervousness might get the best of me.

Hippie Dribble
10-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Here's mine - early for once! What a great bunch of songs there are for this theme! I decided to do Country Roads because for once, it's a song I've already practiced quite a bit. And I guess most of the songs this week will be pop songs... hope you like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU4TNo-sC0s
lovely!!!!! This has some baggage associated with it for us...my wife grew up on a rural property and used to sing lots of these old tunes...John Denver, Johnny Cash etc etc with her best friend. For some reason it always seems to come up and we find ourselves singing it when we're cooking dinner, driving in the car...just one of those iconic tunes. This was really nice Lesley and beautifully sung :)

Hippie Dribble
10-08-2012, 11:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDhztq_bD8
sheesh JBR the thought of writing an original being a faster option than learning something is unthinkable to me. This is really well done brother. Super sweet playing and a nice heartfelt lyric too. Well done mate

ukuloonie
10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking about doing the same and make this my first season. No promises, though. I know people here are really nice but my nervousness might get the best of me.
I have been doing this for a while and I still get nervous:o

Hippie Dribble
10-08-2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TYX57l7OH58

well played xommen!!!! welcome brother!!!! :)

UkeyDave
10-08-2012, 11:59 AM
And here is my bonus track. Thought I'd go with one of the suggested songs.

http://youtu.be/SH22wtpy5SY

wee_ginga_yin
10-08-2012, 12:00 PM
I started looking for a song and decided that writing an original would be faster. This song is where this chord progression took me. Hope you like.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDhztq_bD8

That was a really nice twist at the end... it suddenly hits you that leaving does not
necessarily means packing your bags to go. Excellently crafted song.

Dan Uke
10-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Here's my entry and bonus pt for repeat song!

I'm still sick but wanted to take advantage of Columbus Day (unfortunately no one else has that day off so staying home and recovering). Can't really sing right now so used the falsetto to try to hit the notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uv9MT971o&feature=youtu.be

ukuloonie
10-08-2012, 12:22 PM
In Canada it's Thanksgiving so all the wee ones are off school
I have updated the Seasons list that contains all the links to previous seasons
Now Jpeg is part of that list

xommen
10-08-2012, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=nongdam;1067839]Here's my entry and bonus pt for repeat song!

I'm still sick but wanted to take advantage of Columbus Day (unfortunately no one else has that day off so staying home and recovering). Can't really sing right now so used the falsetto to try to hit the notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uv9MT971o&feature=youtu.be/QUOTE]

Nice playing, I think you should get extra point for trying to sing this with a cold, this song is though even without that ;-).

000Kanaka000
10-08-2012, 01:12 PM
May be cutting my throat here but am going to really go out on a limb and do
not pop but a more operatic selection for this seasons challenge. The chord
Progression is G D Em C. Time To Say Goodbye. Am sure this is not everyones
cup of tea this being said oh well nothing ventured nothing gained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCcRcd2zHzY

Dan Uke
10-08-2012, 01:12 PM
W00t! Thanks!!!

Great songs and your Men at Work had me smiling as that was some good stuff! I still can't handle the nose flute but it worked well for the song.

Great mashup and you look like you're fully recovered. I couldn't tell but did you get a CR??? I know your dream uke is a mahogany CR...

Love this song and I picked that song too so we can get some bonus pts!!

Krabbers, you are the best...I catergorize you as a pro so I expect much from you and you delivered once again!

Dan Uke
10-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Here's mine - early for once! What a great bunch of songs there are for this theme! I decided to do Country Roads because for once, it's a song I've already practiced quite a bit. And I guess most of the songs this week will be pop songs... hope you like it

I'm glad that you picked a song so quickly...way to sing a classic!

It's amazing as there must be thousands of songs with the progression, yet you write your own...awesome

Jon, nice shirt! One of these days, I gotta do a song in a car as that's the new trend I guess. Another great performance from you mate!

000Kanaka000
10-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Love the Land Down Under twist of recording like a land down under.
Such a great sense of humor. Good song and fun to sing. Good job.

000Kanaka000
10-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Enjoyed listening to this one.

I'm not trying to be a trouble maker, but if people google "punk-pop progression", this kind of stuff comes up. And I think I might like to try a "sensitive female chord progression" song. :)

Anyway, here's a bonus I did for the 21st season (french week) that uses I V vi IV in the bridge (et je nage...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCe9_B4T5q0

Dan Uke
10-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Great song!! This song must be popular in the UK as Krabbers sang the song as well. Yours is just as good!

I don't know if any of the Seasonistas have more facial expressions than you and you your videos are very entertaining. Thanks

Just like Krabbers said, you have great delivery!!

Dan Uke
10-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Eric Love that song!! I think you should do one more with the high notes or at least get your daughter to sing it!! HAHA

Dan Uke
10-08-2012, 01:32 PM

That was beautiful...I kept on looking at the corner expecting to see Andrea Bocelli come out!!

Jazzbanjorex
10-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind words toward my entry. This song kind of wrote itself. It was performing it that took time. About ten takes.

I have enjoyed everyone's entries. Forgive me for not making comments as of yet. Just getting on line enough time to watch the videos has been a challenge as of late. Tonight it's off to cub scouts to prepare for camping this weekend. They let me talk my banjolele last time we camped.

UkeyDave
10-08-2012, 01:42 PM

I loved this. How did you get your voice up there. Wow.

Joko
10-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey folks! Here's my entry in the key of F, which equates to F-C-Dm-Bb in this wonderful I-V-vi-IV format (which I think I got wrong in my intro)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm5a5rmC374

000Kanaka000
10-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Strumsilly
Well done -- Good see you
back on your feet.

Xommen
Good Cover -
Welcome aboard.

Krabbers
Excellent - suits you well.
Really a joy to listen to.
Loved the playing as well.

Barefootgypsy
Good job. Quite nicely done.

Jazzbanjorex
Loved this Great Song.

EugeneUkulele
This was to fun.
Really enjoyed the way it
was put together.

Strumsilly
Good bonus

UkeyDave
Well Played - Understand about the croaky part
you should try doing opera and getting a frog in
the voice at just the worst in opportune moment.

Wee_Ginga_Yin
Interesting take on it.
Good visuals as well.

PeeWee
Always enjoy your stuff.
OK this was different. enjoyed it.

Erivel
OK - your playing is always flawless.
Never get enough of listening to your
entries. Stop being so good you put
the rest of us to shame. hahahahah

Xommen
Always enjoy hearing original material.

000Kanaka000
10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh Andrea Bocelli ** I Wish** He has the most beautiful voice.

That was beautiful...I kept on looking at the corner expecting to see Andrea Bocelli come out!!

000Kanaka000
10-08-2012, 02:02 PM
i practice on things to stretch the vocals like Glitter and Be Gay from Candide.
The problem is being able to hit the high notes without being loud or screechy
sounding. Playing and singing this type of thing is a real challenge here.
Thank you for your kind words.

I loved this. How did you get your voice up there. Wow.

000Kanaka000
10-08-2012, 02:13 PM
UkeyDave
Let It Be - great song.
Nice bonus song. Well played and sung.

Nongdam
Even with a cold it's sounding good.
Good job for sure. Never fun singing
through a cold.

Joko
10-08-2012, 02:21 PM
You know what's funny? After spending all day practicing and recording my entry, as I listen to everyone else's songs, all of which are wonderful BTW, I can't help but hearing my song overlaid their tune... It's like we're all using the same chord progression or something. Oh wait.. WE ARE!

I think I-V-vi-IV be forever be burned into my musical soul after this week... and its only Monday!

Tootler
10-08-2012, 02:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uv9MT971o&feature=youtu.be

Good effort in spite of the cold. Excellent playing as ever.

Hey folks! Here's my entry in the key of F, which equates to F-C-Dm-Bb in this wonderful I-V-vi-IV format (which I think I got wrong in my intro)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm5a5rmC374

You've got a really good voice, nice singing and that Baritone sounds really good.

Good to hear something a bit different. Well sung.

Dan Uke
10-08-2012, 02:46 PM
You know what's funny? After spending all day practicing and recording my entry, as I listen to everyone else's songs, all of which are wonderful BTW, I can't help but hearing my song overlaid their tune... It's like we're all using the same chord progression or something. Oh wait.. WE ARE!

I think I-V-vi-IV be forever be burned into my musical soul after this week... and its only Monday!

This is a great week for a mashup!!

Garydavkra
10-08-2012, 02:46 PM
It's the 34th Season of the Ukulele, and it's time for the most commonly used (some might say over-used) chord progression in modern pop music; the I-V-vi-IV progression, (a.k.a. the pop-punk progression, the four chord pop progression or simply the four chord song.)

So what does this "I-V-vi-IV" stuff mean to those of us who don't do Roman numerals? Well, if you're playing in the key of C (as we often are on the ukulele) the progression is C-G-Am-F. Simple, right? Just play those chords in that order, starting with the C, and hold each chord for the same number of beats, and you just played the I-V-vi-IV progression. But you don't have to play it in C. You can play it in G (G-D-Em-C) or in D (D-A-Bm-G) or any other key. You can hold each chord for one beat, two beats, four beats, doesn't matter, as long as they're all the same. You can strum it however you like (or pick it.) Any tempo, any rhythm, any style. Just as long as the song includes that progression.

Now I'm not saying you have to play just those four chords over and over and nothing else. Although there are songs that do just that, and I'm hoping to hear some of those songs. But I just want to hear the I-V-iv-IV in there somewhere. However, there will be bonus points for featuring it more prominently. (More on that in a minute.)

Rules:

must be an original video recorded for this competition

you must announce, either verbally or graphically. at either the beginning or end of the video, that it's for the 34th season of the ukulele

the song must include the I-V-iv-IV progression as described above

one-take videos only. I'm a big fan of multi-tracking, but this week I want to keep things simple.

although additional instruments are welcome, the ukulele should be the focus

one official entry per person. Bonus tracks are encouraged, but please label them clearly as such. If I'm unsure, I'll assume that your first unlabeled video is your entry.

multiple versions of the same song are not only allowed, they are encouraged. Maybe even inevitable. I like to hear what different people bring to the same song, so please please PLEASE just post it anyway, okay?

Scoring:

Winners will be chosen mostly by viewers' choice, but with a bunch of bonus points. I'm also stealing Ralf's rule that you're not eligible to win if you don't participate in the voting.

Everyone who enters the contest must vote for their 1st, 2nd and 3rd place choices. 1st place votes are worth 3 points, 2nd place are worth 2 points and 3rd place worth 1 point.

Any registered UU member who doesn't submit a video can vote for their single favorite video. These votes are worth 1 point.

Everyone will get some bonus points based on how prominently their song features the I-V-vi-IV progression, to a maximum of 10 points. Whatever approximate fraction of the song uses the progression, you get that fraction of 10 points. So if your song plays the progression over and over and nothing else, you get 10. If you play it half the time, you get 5. And so forth. Decisions regarding these points are solely at the judge's discretion (that would be me.)

3 bonus points if you write an original composition.

I really like hearing different people's takes on the same song. So I'm giving bonus points for multiple versions of the same song. If 2 people do the same song, they each get a point. If 3 people do it, they each get 2. If 4 or more people do it, they each get 3.

Prizes:
1st Prize - Hal Leonard's Four Chord Songbook. Not necessarily those four chords, but still a good book of simple songs.
AND
a Snark SN-8 clip-on chromatic tuner

2nd Prize - your choice of either of the two prizes listed above

3rd Prize - whichever prize the 2nd place winner doesn't take

Resources:
UK Ukulele Orchestra's Pop Song Medley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXTWembgpBQ)

Axis of Awesome - 4 Chord Song (live version) contains a small amount of profanity
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I)

Axis of Awesome - 4 Chord Song (studio version) contains a small amount of profanity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ)

or just google "I V vi IV", "four chord pop song", "pop punk progression" or variations of the these.
But note that other people's ideas of what a I-V-vi-IV progression is might not always conform to the rules of this thread. So double check the rules.

Also remember that every arrangement of a song you find, whether it's in a book or on the net, is just one person's idea of what chords to play for that song. So even if somebody else says it's not a I-V-vi-IV song, if you like how it sounds, play it that way, That's your arrangement of the song.

And yeah, I realize this theme is a little different from the usual. But I ask that you give it a try. It'll be fun. (I hope.)

EDIT:
I forgot - deadline is midnight Sunday night October 14th Hawaii time

PLAYLISTS!!! woot!

Official Entries (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tGdWWOx1Tc&list=PL1OjDQ-xhrtTC5IU1mKe6q7FdLsgjDtxn&feature=plcp)

Bonus Songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBWcjZvhxu4&list=PL1OjDQ-xhrtQTAOcxdot97sOL5q5UWrs3&feature=plcp)

Let me know if you're missing or on the wrong playlist or something.

Just curious. What if I write an instrumental piece but, I don't want to play the chords and melody simultaneously. Would I be able to record the chords and play them in the background as I play the melody or is that considered mult-tracking?

austin1
10-08-2012, 02:51 PM

Wow. Major, major props to you, for being able to do that and play at the same time! Seriously, how do you do it? I've given up trying to play any classical repertoire on the uke-- I can't be a soprano and uke it at the same time, I completely fall apart! Do you have any tips or tricks for singing hard songs and playing?

Dan Uke
10-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Just curious. What if I write an instrumental piece but, I don't want to play the chords and melody simultaneously. Would I be able to record the chords and play them in the background as I play the melody or is that considered mult-tracking?

multi-tracking

000Kanaka000
10-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Attempting to record it in about 20 + takes for one. The other is working to attempt to keep the voice
relaxed while playing versus doing the natural thing which is straining the voice due to the added stressor
of keeping the playing in place at the same time. All that can be said is it's not easy but it should get better
as we get more confidant on being able to play the chords without having to think about it all at the same
time.

Wow. Major, major props to you, for being able to do that and play at the same time! Seriously, how do you do it? I've given up trying to play any classical repertoire on the uke-- I can't be a soprano and uke it at the same time, I completely fall apart! Do you have any tips or tricks for singing hard songs and playing?

OldePhart
10-08-2012, 03:20 PM

That would be multi-tracking. I think that using a looper pedal should be okay as really you're just doing one take...but it's not what I think that matters so anybody considering running out to the music store for a looper pedal should probably wait for J-Peg to weigh in... :)

John

UKISOCIETY
10-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Seems like I have no time to record these dayz. :( But I realised that my setting of Margaret Wise Brown's "Goodnight Moon" has the sequence in it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2RYgA-090Y

In the [G] great green room
there [D] was a telephone
And a [D7] red balloon
And a [G] picture of--

The [G] cow jumping [D] over the [G] moon

and there were [G] three little bears, [D] sitting on chairs

and [D7] two little kittens and a [G] pair of mittens

and a [G] little toy house [D] and a young mouse

and a [D7] comb and a brush and [G] bowl full of [Em] mush

and a [G] quiet old [D] lady who was [Em] whispering [C] "hush"

Goodnight[G] room

goodnight [D] moon

goodnight [Em] cow jumping over the [C] moon [D7]

goodnight [G] light and the red bal [D] -loon

goodnight [Em] bears goodnight [C] chairs

goodnight [D] kittens [G] good [D] -night [C] mittens

goodnight [D] clocks and [G] good [D] -night [C]socks

goodnight little [G] house and goodnight [D] mouse

goodnight [Em] comb and goodnight [C] brush

goodnight [D] nobody [G] good [D] -night [C] mush

and good [C]-night to the [D] old lady [G] whisper [D] -ing [C] "hush"

goodnight [D] stars, [G] good [D]-night [Em] air

[C] goodnight [D] noises every [G]-where.

J-Peg
10-08-2012, 03:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDhztq_bD8 (youtube;AKDhztq_bD8)

Great song! I am so jealous of people who can write. I can't even imagine just throwing out an original song that quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioqE9VQc_A (youtube;xioqE9VQc_A)

Top shelf, as always.

http://youtu.be/1BegPVPpFrY (youtube_share;1BegPVPpFrY)

You do that style of music so well. Great job.

http://youtu.be/cPG6HPiUN58 (youtube_share;cPG6HPiUN58)

Between you and krabbers I am now officially in love with this song. I might even have to add it to my repertoire, if I can figure out the chords. :)

May do "Im yours" then o.O xD

Well, it's about time somebody did. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8J7DAE3ge4 (youtube;_8J7DAE3ge4)

The Happy Song indeed! It's physically impossible to watch that without smiling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ObPAM5Uxg (youtube;79ObPAM5Uxg)

Another great new spin on an old classic. I really like how your brain works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0jJSIPhHAo (youtube;F0jJSIPhHAo)

Walt Whitman as a four chord pop song? I would never have thought of it, but it works. Good job.

http://youtu.be/pHz9hg3t84Y (youtube_share;pHz9hg3t84Y)

Awesome. You really paid homage to the original without copying it. Like how you riffed on the original backup vocals there at the end. Nice jazz-pop feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_bLjOcPCJ8 (youtube;L_bLjOcPCJ8)

Good job! And two entries already. I think we got you hooked on the seasons now.

And here is my bonus track. Thought I'd go with one of the suggested songs.

http://youtu.be/SH22wtpy5SY (youtube_share;SH22wtpy5SY)

Lot of feeling in your delivery there. Very heartfelt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uv9MT971o&feature=youtu.be (youtube;G0uv9MT971o)

Way to soldier through. Your falsetto sounds really good. You should consider using it sometimes even when you're not sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCcRcd2zHzY (youtube;jCcRcd2zHzY)

Bold choice. And so well executed. Your voice is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm5a5rmC374 (youtube;gm5a5rmC374)

I was hoping somebody would do this one! Good job on it too.

Welcome to my world. Why do you think I chose this as the theme? Seriously, I find myself stopping in the grocery store and noticing that the song on the intercom is a I-V-vi-IV song.

J-Peg
10-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Sorry, but I gotta say yeah, that's multi-tracking.

austin1
10-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Attempting to record it in about 20 + takes for one. The other is working to attempt to keep the voice
relaxed while playing versus doing the natural thing which is straining the voice due to the added stressor
of keeping the playing in place at the same time. All that can be said is it's not easy but it should get better
as we get more confidant on being able to play the chords without having to think about it all at the same
time.

whatever you did, it was beautiful :)

ukuleledaddy
10-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Seems like I have no time to record these dayz. :( But I realised that my setting of Margaret Wise Brown's "Goodnight Moon" has the sequence in it! :)

"I want to hear it again!" says my four year old. That was great! I want to learn it.

UKISOCIETY
10-08-2012, 05:31 PM
"I want to hear it again!" says my four year old. That was great! I want to learn it.

Thank you. It made my day to read this.

erivel
10-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Eric Love that song!! I think you should do one more with the high notes or at least get your daughter to sing it!! HAHA

No way Daniel, do you want me to hurt myself? :)

Erivel
OK - your playing is always flawless.
Never get enough of listening to your
entries. Stop being so good you put
the rest of us to shame. hahahahah

Aw, you are too kind! Many thanks!

Awesome. You really paid homage to the original without copying it. Like how you riffed on the original backup vocals there at the end. Nice jazz-pop feel to it.

Thanks so much J-Peg!!

Joko
10-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Awww.. goodnight room... Makes me.. sleepy.. I...zzzzzzzzzzz

krabbers
10-08-2012, 07:06 PM
O

I love that song. Well done that was superb

thesillydave
10-08-2012, 07:12 PM
so...i found a song that i am pretty sure no one here might do...

http://youtu.be/m_MPC4spjYM

dedicated to ralf and the birthplace of the grunge sound!

Joko
10-08-2012, 07:51 PM
This is my first ever bonus song for the Seasonistas... I'm sure many of you can relate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m20VnYykuE8

peewee
10-08-2012, 08:03 PM

That was deep, man. I liked the quiet part and then also the loud part too. Cool.

thesillydave
10-08-2012, 08:06 PM
That was deep, man. I liked the quiet part and then also the loud part too. Cool.

thanks..i was going for deep and loud...and plaid..

myrnaukelele
10-08-2012, 08:09 PM
This is my first ever bonus song for the Seasonistas... I'm sure many of you can relate.
]
Ha! That was hilarious! I've taken to announcing the Season at the end since it can sometimes be a dozen takes or more. Or I'll announce the Season just once and then fade it into the real take so I don't have to keep repeating it. Or maybe I'll just put a title on once I have a good take. And I can't remember ever posting a video that didn't have at least one mistake. Yeah. We can all relate.:)

Joko
the birthplace of the grunge sound!

That would be here in Seattle, right?

I'd be disappointed if I found out that the grunge sound actually originated in Lewiston, Eugene or Yakima and just wandered its way over here.

peewee

Fly the Flannel!

myrnaukelele
10-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Lol! Always love the songs you pick.

Joko
10-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Although I should note that I've visited Aberdeen, WA, the hometown of both Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic, and its a pretty depressing little town. It's half as big as it was 50 years ago, and although people can move, buildings do not.

UncleElvis
10-08-2012, 08:42 PM
i dont think you know how close you are to the truth ... sad but true .

If I'm not understating it, I'd be shocked!

UncleElvis
10-08-2012, 08:45 PM
ha ha, thanks E. mate I'll build you a pinnie anytime...but I am in need of a trip to Bermuda :p

Bring it on, brother!

I can't guarantee a place to stay, but I CAN guarantee a tour guide and a half hour of playing at any gig I'm doing!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-08-2012, 08:56 PM

Ah, that takes me right back to the nineties. You seem more sensitive than ever, Dave. :D

wee_ginga_yin
10-08-2012, 11:24 PM

I payed a small fortune to go and see Andrea Bocelli at the Hartwall arena in Helsinki.
The seats were so high if I had been on a ship I would have been up in the crow's nest.
He was a microscopic dot on the stage, and then that voice began to sing that song in
Italian. I did not understand a word of it, but great waves of emotion just washed over me.
It is quite inexplicable that sounds, and unknown words can stir up a deep well of feelings, and try
as you might to struggle and suppress the emotions you end up with tears in your eyes.
Catharsis that's what it is... the purging or relieving of emotional tension through art or music.
Who would have thought it?

And it does not need to be opera... bagpipe music does it for me as well... now there is a strange thing. :-)

Hippie Dribble
10-08-2012, 11:50 PM
I payed a small fortune to go and see Andrea Bocelli at the Hartwall arena in Helsinki.
The seats were so high if I had been on a ship I would have been up in the crow's nest.
He was a microscopic dot on the stage, and then that voice began to sing that song in
Italian. I did not understand a word of it, but great waves of emotion just washed over me.
It is quite inexplicable that sounds, and unknown words can stir up a deep well of feelings, and try
as you might to struggle and suppress the emotions you end up with tears in your eyes.
Catharsis that's what it is... the purging or relieving of emotional tension through art or music.

And it does not need to be opera... bagpipe music does it for me as well... now there is a strange thing. :-)
very well said brother. I think this is the common experience, and, no doubt, why music is so rightly referred to as 'the universal language'. Incidentally, bagpipes have the exact same effect upon my wife as you describe. They make me cry too but for very different reasons. :p

barefootgypsy
10-09-2012, 12:44 AM
PLAYLISTS!!! woot!

Official Entries (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tGdWWOx1Tc&list=PL1OjDQ-xhrtTC5IU1mKe6q7FdLsgjDtxn&feature=plcp)

Bonus Songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBWcjZvhxu4&list=PL1OjDQ-xhrtQTAOcxdot97sOL5q5UWrs3&feature=plcp)

Let me know if you're missing or on the wrong playlist or something.Help - when I click the playlist link on the first post, I just get straight through to one video, nothing else, not the usual list of thumbnails.....

decaturcomp
10-09-2012, 01:59 AM
Oh, dude, that was heart ren(der)ing!

Where's my Kamaka and Marsall stacks?

Tootler
10-09-2012, 02:02 AM
Here is my entry.

My wife bought me a "Book of Ballads" in a second hand book shop. Published in 1915, it's a gorgeous book with colour illustrations by a pre-raphaelite artist and a wonderful collection of classic ballads and other poems. This poem, "The Way of Love" by an anonymous author took my fancy, so I wrote a tune for it based on the I V vi IV progression which it uses throughout. The progression is in G.

http://youtu.be/4Lja7rxJUV4

Hope you like it.

decaturcomp
10-09-2012, 02:08 AM
I've tried for plaid but it always comes out paisley.

decaturcomp
10-09-2012, 02:12 AM
That is terrific, Geoff. I'm not surprised that you can write a tune that well but it's great to hear. I love the choice of the text, too. If anyone was worried that all of these songs from a single progression would sound alike, I'd say you've put that notion to rest.

Here is my entry.

My wife bought me a "Book of Ballads" in a second hand book shop. Published in 1915, it's a gorgeous book with colour illustrations by a pre-raphaelite artist and a wonderful collection of classic ballads and other poems. This poem, "The Way of Love" by an anonymous author took my fancy, so I wrote a tune for it based on the I V vi IV progression which it uses throughout. The progression is in G.

Hope you like it.

decaturcomp
10-09-2012, 02:46 AM
Hey Joko!!!!

Best Post EVAR!!!!

You know we get extra points for having extra folks do the same song this season. I was thinking of doing this one, too! SO, my question, is do I have to add all of the extra lyrics that you wrote for the intro?

You're a clever and hard working Seasonista!

decaturcomp
10-09-2012, 02:59 AM
I always suspected you had this sort of ability.
Brava.

000Kanaka000
10-09-2012, 03:04 AM
Unfortunately I don't understand or speak Italian either. Would
Love the opportunity to see him sing in person what a voice he
has. It's wonderful when you find something that connects and moves you
so deeply. Unfortunately today am sitting here waiting jury duty
so no playing for me today. Am Hoping this will be a short stint
and I can get back to the forum soon. For now bye from jury
selection central.

Jinxi
10-09-2012, 04:28 AM

I love love love this!!!

J-Peg
10-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Help - when I click the playlist link on the first post, I just get straight through to one video, nothing else, not the usual list of thumbnails.....

I double checked the links. The links go to the "Play All" page of the playlists. If you look at the bottom of the screen their should be a sideways scroll of all the videos, and if you let them play it should automatically start the next video when that one is through. If you want to go to the thumbnail page just click on the playlist title just above the scroll.

If it's not working like that for you let me know and I'll post links to the thumbnail pages.

barefootgypsy
10-09-2012, 05:24 AM
I double checked the links. The links go to the "Play All" page of the playlists. If you look at the bottom of the screen their should be a sideways scroll of all the videos, and if you let them play it should automatically start the next video when that one is through. If you want to go to the thumbnail page just click on the playlist title just above the scroll.

If it's not working like that for you let me know and I'll post links to the thumbnail pages.Oh yes I see! Thanks for that! :D

barefootgypsy
10-09-2012, 05:29 AM
Here is my entry.

Hope you like it.Yes..... I liked it! This might even inspire a whole clutch of original compositions! Great stuff! :D

barefootgypsy
10-09-2012, 07:40 AM
lovely!!!!! This has some baggage associated with it for us...my wife grew up on a rural property and used to sing lots of these old tunes...John Denver, Johnny Cash etc etc with her best friend. For some reason it always seems to come up and we find ourselves singing it when we're cooking dinner, driving in the car...just one of those iconic tunes. This was really nice Lesley and beautifully sung :)Thanks for watching, Jon, and for those kind comments, much appreciated! It's a good old jolly, sing-along song - and I can just see you and Fiona singing it together! :D

barefootgypsy
10-09-2012, 07:48 AM
@ Nongdam
@000Kanaka00

Thank you both for watching and for taking the trouble to comment; I do enjoy taking part when I have something I reckon I can have a go at, I'm getting a little less shy of the webcam now and a bit of feedback is encouraging! Bless you both!

erivel
10-09-2012, 08:06 AM

If it's not working like that for you let me know and I'll post links to the thumbnail pages.

J-Peg,

That option doesn't show up when I view on my iPhone, which is how I view the vids mostly.

Garydavkra
10-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Sorry, but I gotta say yeah, that's multi-tracking.

Okay, I figured you would say that. No problem. I'll be submitting a song that I wrote last night.

peewee
10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
J-Peg,

That option doesn't show up when I view on my iPhone, which is how I view the vids mostly.

Here's a link to the playlist "list" page:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1OjDQ-xhrtTC5IU1mKe6q7FdLsgjDtxn

erivel
10-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Here's a link to the playlist "list" page:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1OjDQ-xhrtTC5IU1mKe6q7FdLsgjDtxn

Thanks peewee!

Tootler
10-09-2012, 09:38 AM

This is really good. I reckon my granddaughter would like it, though I'm not sure if she'd be familiar with the book.

Trust you to come up with a cliché of a cliché. Loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m20VnYykuE8

Nice one. I'm not sure I would want to do a vid of my outtakes, they usually end in "Oh shit!!!!"

Tootler
10-09-2012, 09:42 AM
And now for a bonus track. It has the sequence twice in the first four lines of each verse though the second time through it ends in A7 instead of C.

http://youtu.be/0CFHTJA3Ih8

Tootler
10-09-2012, 09:55 AM
That is terrific, Geoff. I'm not surprised that you can write a tune that well but it's great to hear. I love the choice of the text, too. If anyone was worried that all of these songs from a single progression would sound alike, I'd say you've put that notion to rest.

Yes..... I liked it! This might even inspire a whole clutch of original compositions! Great stuff! :D

Thanks to both of you for those encouraging remarks.

I'm working on another but it still needs a bit of tweaking before it's ready for public viewing.

J-Peg
10-09-2012, 10:00 AM
J-Peg,

I didn't realize that. I'll edit the first post when I get home tonight.
I'd do it now but, ironically, I'm posting this from my phone.

decaturcomp
10-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks Jinxi!

I love love love this!!!

barefootgypsy
10-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Catching up on a few videos...

strumsilly - Great mashup! You manage to create a very poignant sort of mood there - really effective!

xommen - nice job! Can you believe, I've actually never heard that one before -

krabbers - another new one on me! Great accompaniment, nice voice, too!

Jazzbanjorex - I loved your original song, the words work really well! Seasonal, too....

wee_ginga-yin - you can always be relied on to come up with something different - love it!

peewee - There's something really effective about the spoken narrative over the strumming, well done!

barefootgypsy
10-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Well it's happened to me again, a copyright notice on my vid for this season - I had put a disclaimer on but I think it comes up automatically through content ID - should I delete the video? I did when it happened before.... experiences, please! Help!

decaturcomp
10-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Another song that was Never EVER meant to be played with this progression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bUlB5ppfOfM
Please do try this at home.

barefootgypsy
10-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Please do try this at home.I did - I played along - such FUN! Amazing........:D

wee_ginga_yin
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM
What if??? you got in touch with your feminine side???

I know we are supposed to be doing "I-V-vi-IV" but I wanted to be the first to try the "sensitive female chord progression"
of "vi-IV-I-V" so I have decided to go with Em C G D on this one. I didn't manage to complete it, since with a beard,
I had difficulties to let my feminine side shine through:-) Oh and the bass voice added a further difficulty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FvxWXUTApQ

Tootler
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Well it's happened to me again, a copyright notice on my vid for this season - I had put a disclaimer on but I think it comes up automatically through content ID - should I delete the video? I did when it happened before.... experiences, please! Help!

The disclaimer doesn't mean anything, not in the UK, as we do not have an equivalent of the US "fair use" clause in our copyright legislation. Check what they have actually said on the copyright notice. Unless they have specifically asked you to take it down, it's usually OK to leave it. The worst that will happen is that there will be ads on the video when someone watches it. That's how the royalties get paid.

I never bother with a disclaimer, it's a waste of time. If I get a copyright notice then so be it. If it's on a public domain song, I will challenge it and the copyright notice usually gets removed. The last one I got, they even had the courtesy to tell me that they had done that. That was a first!

decaturcomp
10-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Cool! now we know 84 times the songs we did before. All thanks to j-peg and ! ^ vi !^

I did - I played along - such FUN! Amazing........:D

Tootler
10-09-2012, 11:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bUlB5ppfOfM

But you did, yeah?

I know we are supposed to be doing "I-V-vi-IV" but I wanted to be the first to try the "sensitive female chord progression"
of "vi-IV-I-V" so I have decided to go with Em C G D on this one. I didn't manage to complete it, since with a beard,
I had difficulties to let my feminine side shine through:-) Oh and the bass voice added a further difficulty.

Creative subversion rules, OK? I like it.

decaturcomp
10-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Beautiful. Really kind and mellodious soundink.
and yeah, yeah god looks baked
and yeah, yeah god smells good...

decaturcomp
10-09-2012, 11:32 AM

Here's what YT says:
http://www.youtube.com/t/copyright_users

I understand that they're bringing the DMCA stuff into their policy now. It's been the wild west for YT since it began. Google tried Google Video remember and didn't allow any materials that could be a problem for them but YT continued to ignore everything but take down notices so Google bought them and continued their more relaxed policies for the most part. I'm not an attorney and this is all in the realm of hearsay (books, news clippings) so the stuff above that YT says might be the best thing to read.

Wongo
10-09-2012, 11:58 AM
there have been some amazin entries so far. you guys are amazing

my first ever entry to the seasons. im very nervous about putting this out there:uhoh: i've only been playing for a month and a half. this is an original song by me. please forgive me for the cough at the begining. and the dodgy ending. anyway here it is i hope you like it. would me the world if some of you did.
This song is for GT3T11 (Ginny) who pushed me to join in the seasons. If I hadn't of made a promise in week 32 it might never if happened. So Ginny thank you so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLpLzvsDvOg&list=FL0sZLgKsfRxIvVVCOoSnUfg&feature=mh_lolz

wee_ginga_yin
10-09-2012, 12:14 PM

my first ever entry to the seasons. im very nervous about putting this out there:uhoh: i've only been playing for a month and a half. this is an original song by me. please forgive me for the cough at the begining. and the dodgy ending. anyway here it is i hope you like it. would me the world if some of you did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLpLzvsDvOg&list=FL0sZLgKsfRxIvVVCOoSnUfg&feature=mh_lolz

Just saw the end of the URL it said lolz, and I think that just about sums it up.
You certainly busted a rhyme or two there, and captured the teenage angst
of someone on the pull and the insecurity of it all. The tempo changes were
very effective cos you've got to mix it up so the chord progression does not get
monotonous. Good well crafted song spiced with humor... and the accent was spot on.
Excellent first video. I am confident you will be doing more.

Terve Roope.

000Kanaka000
10-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Usually the longer one waits to jump in the more nervous they get in getting wrapped
up about it all. There is no time like the present. Everything i post have screwed up
on the playing but we all have to start somewhere and we just keep working at getting
better by better each step. Mostly here is about just having fun with it and best to just
compete with yourself rather than making it about competing with others. If you give
it your best shot then be happy and just have the goal of besting yourself as often as
possible. And if you don't best yourself this time then keep the goal for the next time
around. Welcome aboard.

Wongo
10-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Just saw the end of the URL it said lolz, and I think that just about sums it up.
You certainly busted a rhyme or two there, and captured the teenage angst
of someone on the pull and the insecurity of it all. The tempo changes were
very effective cos you've got to mix it up so the chord progression does not get
monotonous. Good well crafted song spiced with humor... and the accent was spot on.
Excellent first video. I am confident you will be doing more.

Terve Roope.

Thank you so much. Glad you enjoyed it. What a brilliant review. I hadn't realised the URL. Must of been fate.

000Kanaka000
10-09-2012, 12:35 PM
You don't have to delete the video just click and go and acknowledge the copyright
and at that point they will put small advertisements at the bottom of your video
which they will make money from. It's all about them being able to make money
off of it.

000Kanaka000
10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm Blushing. Thank you

I always suspected you had this sort of ability.
Brava.

000Kanaka000
10-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Hope i haven't missed anyone or anything. Am back from jury duty so
am trying to catch up.

UkeyDave
Let It Be - great song.
Nice bonus song. Well played and sung.

Nongdam
Even with a cold it's sounding good.
Good job for sure. Never fun singing
through a cold.

Wongo
A Month ? Excellent.
Not an easy song style to
do. Keep at it this was a great
start.

Decaturcomp
HAHAHAHAHA
Love this song --
You did it so well.
Like the crazy colors
on the video.

Wee_ginga_yin
You always come up with interesting songs
Always enjoyable to watch.

Tootle
Nice take on the song.
Like the way you put the phrases together.

Tootle Entry
Never Heard this Song
Always nice to hear something new.
Good showing.

Silly Dave - Grunge Song
Think you are right you might be the only one
doing this song. Good one.
Fun it's definitely different. You did it well.

Joko Bonus song
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Love the Laugh In Moments
This looks familiar. Can definitely relate.
Hahahahahahahaha Thank you for the great time.

Joko Entry
Nicely Done - Nice Voice

000Kanaka000
10-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Bonus Song - Tribute to IZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kipw-8Ap-rM

Wongo
10-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Thank you kanaka. It took a while for me to figure it out. As I wrote the lyrics first then tried to come up with the melody after. I gave up late last night hoping it would be fresh today. And by joe it worked. Yeah.

Jazzbanjorex
10-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I found a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rnPwVl4FtmI
Put my lunch time to good use.
Hope you like.

Jazzbanjorex
10-09-2012, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icm5yAcVtrA&feature=youtu.be
More lunch time antics.
Thank you.

Tootler
10-09-2012, 01:57 PM

This song is for GT3T11 (Ginny) who pushed me to join in the seasons. If I hadn't of made a promise in week 32 it might never if happened. So Ginny thank you so much.

Just 1.5 months? That's very impressive. You've made a lot of progress in a short time. I nearly gave up at about that time, but I later found that the problem was a crap uke. A change of strings and then a better instrument got me away again.

Well done with the song, as well. That was really good. Interesting perspective.

Tootler
10-09-2012, 02:13 PM

That was superb. You really captured the feel of IZ's version without copying it slavishly. Your voice was just right as well. Great stuff.

I found a good one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rnPwVl4FtmI
Hope you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icm5yAcVtrA&feature=youtu.be
More lunch time antics.
Thank you.

Two really good bonus tracks. Credit for tackling Georgia on my mind. Love the "studio"

Tootler
10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Usually the longer one waits to jump in the more nervous they get in getting wrapped
up about it all. There is no time like the present. Everything i post have screwed up
on the playing but we all have to start somewhere and we just keep working at getting
better by better each step. Mostly here is about just having fun with it and best to just
compete with yourself rather than making it about competing with others. If you give
it your best shot then be happy and just have the goal of besting yourself as often as
possible. And if you don't best yourself this time then keep the goal for the next time
around. Welcome aboard.

Agree with that totally. The best thing is just to jump in and go for it. The way I see it, these seasons "contests" are more like an on line open mike than a competition. I go to folk music singarounds here in the UK where you go round the room singing a song in turn. In between there is a lot of chat, which is what you see here. So a great atmosphere. Also what you see here is the "finished product". What you mostly don't see are all the takes which went wrong, which were cut short because of mistakes. You do get better with time and need fewer takes because you are more confident in front of the camera and with recording generally as well as your playing improving. Even so you never get the perfect take, so learn to live with the best you can manage at the time or in the time you have available

So go for it and enjoy it. It's all about the music, the technical quality of the recording is secondary.

J-Peg
10-09-2012, 02:44 PM

http://youtu.be/m_MPC4spjYM (youtube_share;m_MPC4spjYM)

Nor should they. This song is just so... so... Dave that nobody else here could do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m20VnYykuE8 (youtube;m20VnYykuE8)

Been there, done that, said the f word.

Here is my entry.

http://youtu.be/4Lja7rxJUV4 (youtube_share;4Lja7rxJUV4)

Hope you like it.

Like it? I love it! Sounds appropriately timeless. If you had told me this song was centuries old I'd have believed it.

And now for a bonus track. It has the sequence twice in the first four lines of each verse though the second time through it ends in A7 instead of C.

http://youtu.be/0CFHTJA3Ih8 (youtube_share;0CFHTJA3Ih8)

This song fits your voice like a glove. Good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bUlB5ppfOfM (youtube;bUlB5ppfOfM)
Please do try this at home.

I'm not gonna try it. Seriously. I'm not.

Okay, maybe just once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FvxWXUTApQ (youtube;5FvxWXUTApQ)

Hey, if I had a feminine side I'd be touching it all the time.;)

Seriously though, you made that song your own. You have joined the ranks of sensitive female artists who have used that progression. Like Sarah McLachlan, Joan Osborn, the Cranberries and Bon Jovi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLpLzvsDvOg&list=FL0sZLgKsfRxIvVVCOoSnUfg&feature=mh_lolz (youtube;aLpLzvsDvOg)

A month and a half? That's all?! And you're writing? Incredibly cool! You sir definitely need to stick around and continue to grace us with your presence.

And welcome to the seasons!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kipw-8Ap-rM (youtube;kipw-8Ap-rM)

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Uncle Izzy would be proud.

I found a good one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rnPwVl4FtmI (youtube;rnPwVl4FtmI)
Hope you like.

I never realized that song used my favorite progression. (I love it when that happens.) Good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icm5yAcVtrA&feature=youtu.be (youtube;Icm5yAcVtrA)
More lunch time antics.
Thank you.

I did realize that that song didn't use my favorite progression.
Except that now it kinda does.
Only not.
Or something.

Either way that was cool.

J-Peg
10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
A quick housekeeping note:

It's not always clear to me whether a video is an official entry or a bonus track. And sometimes I just screw up and click the wrong button. So sometime before the end of the contest, at your own convenience, please backstop me and make sure your video(s) ended up on the right list.

Now I'm going to go fix those links in the first post.

myrnaukelele
10-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Welcome to the Seasons Wongo! Great entry :)

myrnaukelele
10-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Really nice version of this kanaka!

myrnaukelele
10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=Jazzbanjorex;1068741
More lunch time antics.
Thank you.[/QUOTE]
This is way cool! You're inspiring me to take a standard and adapt it to our chord progression...

J-Peg
10-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Nice one Peewee. I'm a big Whitman fan myself. And hey, you've given me an idea for a theme for a future season. How about putting the words of a famous poem to the tune of a famous pop song. If anyone goes for this, I'll enter one I used to have in my repertory, some years back. No spoilers ;)

Did you realize that any Emily Dickinson poem can be sung to the tune of "Amazing Grace"? Really. Try it.

"Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality."

000Kanaka000
10-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Jazzbanjorex (anyway you want it )
Very nice to listen to. Really good one
for this season.

Jazzbanjorex Bonus
Interesting i like the georgia re-do.
Very cool indeed.

000Kanaka000
10-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Thank you ALL for the very Kind Words - it was
fun doing the somewhat IZ version yet putting a
bit of stylized round about in it as well. Am
indeed hoping IZ is smiling and not shaking his
head going what the **** was that ? hahahaha

Mandalyn
10-09-2012, 04:17 PM

I think you should do it, Jen!

Jazzbanjorex
10-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Another adaptation to I-V-vi-IV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxbSigKYcFk
Just monkeying around....

Mandalyn
10-09-2012, 04:18 PM

In the [G] great green room
there [D] was a telephone
And a [D7] red balloon
And a [G] picture of--

The [G] cow jumping [D] over the [G] moon

and there were [G] three little bears, [D] sitting on chairs

and [D7] two little kittens and a [G] pair of mittens

and a [G] little toy house [D] and a young mouse

and a [D7] comb and a brush and [G] bowl full of [Em] mush

and a [G] quiet old [D] lady who was [Em] whispering [C] "hush"

Goodnight[G] room

goodnight [D] moon

goodnight [Em] cow jumping over the [C] moon [D7]

goodnight [G] light and the red bal [D] -loon

goodnight [Em] bears goodnight [C] chairs

goodnight [D] kittens [G] good [D] -night [C] mittens

goodnight [D] clocks and [G] good [D] -night [C]socks

goodnight little [G] house and goodnight [D] mouse

goodnight [Em] comb and goodnight [C] brush

goodnight [D] nobody [G] good [D] -night [C] mush

and good [C]-night to the [D] old lady [G] whisper [D] -ing [C] "hush"

goodnight [D] stars, [G] good [D]-night [Em] air

[C] goodnight [D] noises every [G]-where.

I am learning this! The kids in my pre-k class would love it!

peewee
10-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Did you realize that any Emily Dickinson poem can be sung to the tune of "Amazing Grace"? Really. Try it.

"Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality."

I tried that one I V vi IV too!
I wish I'd thought of Amazing Grace

Also Robert Frost is too curmudgeonly for musical accompaniment

OldePhart
10-09-2012, 05:20 PM
I just realized that about 90% of the songs I know can be rearranged as I V vi IV...kind of interesting and definitely food for thought...

Dougf
10-09-2012, 05:25 PM

That was great, Rob, I'm glad somebody stepped up and did one of these. Very similar feel to the I V vi IV, but to me it seems to resolve better. Now what I need is the "thoughtless male chord progression".

TCK
10-09-2012, 06:05 PM
So...
This probably would have been well enough left alone.
Sound- ugh, my fancy microphone gives me fits.
Song- I am an ukulele parasite. I stole everything here.
Props- Krabbers...welcome to the bro-mance, I love your stuff mate. Special people who watch (endure) this. All of you Seasonistas for all the inspiration.
Right- time to post it. You all might want to stage some sort of intervention soon.
What happens when you mix 4 chords, Krabbers' ideas, long boring nights as I have seen all the latest Doctor Who episodes, and a silversmith and patriot?
This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVhGTHEA0M&feature=youtu.be
(head in hands...really, did you do that?)

fitncrafty
10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
DAve just a tons of fun..there could be a whole season of unplugged... you and krabbers rocked the house..at least this one...

Hippie Dribble
10-09-2012, 06:57 PM
So...
Props- Krabbers...welcome to the bro-mance, I love your stuff mate. Special people who watch (endure) this. All of you Seasonistas for all the inspiration.
Right- time to post it. You all might want to stage some sort of intervention soon.
What happens when you mix 4 chords, Krabbers' ideas, long boring nights as I have seen all the latest Doctor Who episodes, and a silversmith and patriot?
This.

well then....I hung on every word. That was totally

EPIC

TCK
10-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Aye, Jon and Carrie, obviously you have fallen victim to my charms...thanks for the kind words and watching my silly videos :)

29moons
10-09-2012, 08:58 PM
This weeks theme is one that I'm learning from. I know the I V IV blues riff but not much more. I need to memorize this one just so I can repeat it and sound like I know what I'm talking about around real musicians (shhh, don't say anything.) I hope to throw in a bonus or two depending if I can get my new Galaxy II to record right and upload while I'm at work. My laptop has crashed three times this week and I just barley got this vid backed up off the drive before it crashed again. Please enjoy my take an 80's favorite.

http://youtu.be/4ns8zKu4FE8

wee_ginga_yin
10-10-2012, 12:58 AM
I tried that one I V vi IV too!
I wish I'd thought of Amazing Grace

Also Robert Frost is too curmudgeonly for musical accompaniment

I have tried Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUmcvGZgYGg) before... but now that I think of it,
it just might lend itself to a very slow "sensitive female chord progression"

barefootgypsy
10-10-2012, 01:22 AM
The disclaimer doesn't mean anything, not in the UK, as we do not have an equivalent of the US "fair use" clause in our copyright legislation. Check what they have actually said on the copyright notice. Unless they have specifically asked you to take it down, it's usually OK to leave it. The worst that will happen is that there will be ads on the video when someone watches it. That's how the royalties get paid.

I never bother with a disclaimer, it's a waste of time. If I get a copyright notice then so be it. If it's on a public domain song, I will challenge it and the copyright notice usually gets removed. The last one I got, they even had the courtesy to tell me that they had done that. That was a first!Thanks for that, Geoff! When I see one of those copyright messages my hair sort of stands on end.....

fitncrafty
10-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Aye, Jon and Carrie, obviously you have fallen victim to my charms...thanks for the kind words and watching my silly videos :)

We/I could fall victim to far worse than watching your creative and fun talent...

decaturcomp
10-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Soaring/meditative
thanks

decaturcomp
10-10-2012, 01:49 AM
Wongo!

that is amazing. I loved the tempo uptick on the second verse. In fact you had enough ideas in there for three songs. I respect that you gave us everything at once though. Get yer arse to an open mic, will ya? The world needs to hear this.

decaturcomp
10-10-2012, 02:01 AM
Brother I can't tell you how much I appreciated and enjoyed this. Man, if that's you stealin' then somebody call the POLice 'cause I'm gonna try like hell to learn to steal that well when/if I grow up.

Forget who's idea or concept it was (tho' with Krabman, yer standin' on the shoulders of a giant) what you did with the phrasing and the overall feel of that video and the attendant text was a thing of beautimousness.

Yer one of the finest Seasonistas out there so go, and sin some more.

So...
This.

decaturcomp
10-10-2012, 02:29 AM
Not even a bonus, a sub-bonus, gathered from having been flung on the bonusdungheap of history.
Just a discussion of poetry to music and not much of that.
Nothin' to see here folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c6w0j1mZ5I

Barbablanca
10-10-2012, 02:31 AM
OK - so I have had the melody for days, but it wasn't until I realised that I- V- VI - IV could also be written 1564 that I was given the hook to get into the lyrics.

Thus, gentle listener, verily, for thy listening pleasure, the Company of One present an entertainment by Msr Berni Armstrong (Gent.) recalling the events of the year of Our Lord, fifteen hundred and sixty-four in the reign of our most gracious lady Elisabet Regina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ewuSsm9Qzw&feature=youtube_

PS Lyrics available if you watch this directly at the youtube site

Jinxi
10-10-2012, 02:48 AM
around. Welcome aboard.

Thanks Kanaka!! You are absolutely right. I spent days trying to find songs (not at all educated with music theory so its been a bit of challenge but a good learning experience), when I had it narrowed down to two I saw they were were done already. I know that doing a song someone else has done is okay but it just makes me more nervous. I think I'm going to take your advice and jump in with both feet!! No time like the present, right! Wait, in the exact "present" I'm hanging out in my pajamas drinking coffee so no time like after getting dressed! :)

I'm sorry if this is a lame/lazy but I've been watching everyone's videos and they are all amazing!! I have so much respect for all of you who put yourself out there and also for everyone who takes the time to comment.

Jinxi
10-10-2012, 02:53 AM
I think you should do it, Jen!

:) You should give it a try too, Mandi!

Mandalyn
10-10-2012, 02:59 AM
:) You should give it a try too, Mandi!

Maybe someday. I need to get a new camera. Mine was run over by a truck in cinci this weekend.
I look forward to watching your video :D

FiL
10-10-2012, 03:54 AM
OK - so I have had the melody for days, but it wasn't until I realised that I- V- VI - IV could also be written 1564 that I was given the hook to get into the lyrics.

Very well done! I had a vague idea to do the same thing, but abandoned the idea. I'm pretty sure whatever I would have come up with wouldn't have been as good as yours.

- FiL

FiL
10-10-2012, 04:12 AM
So...
This.

No apologies needed--that was very cool! Love the way your threw in a line from "Wagon Wheel" at the beginning.

- FiL

29moons
10-10-2012, 04:56 AM
Note to self... Don't do that lighting again. That's really haggard looking and I look so tired.

This weeks theme is one that I'm learning from. I know the I V IV blues riff but not much more. I need to memorize this one just so I can repeat it and sound like I know what I'm talking about around real musicians (shhh, don't say anything.) I hope to throw in a bonus or two depending if I can get my new Galaxy II to record right and upload while I'm at work. My laptop has crashed three times this week and I just barley got this vid backed up off the drive before it crashed again. Please enjoy my take an 80's favorite.

strumsilly
10-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Here's a Journey song that fit's the chord progression. I's been really fun listening to you seasonistas. thanks for enduring my efforts.

http://youtu.be/jzJaGTrxwIM

000Kanaka000
10-10-2012, 05:06 AM
Wah-hoo!!! Am glad to see you are going to bite the bullet and
jump in. There are so many here that can play rings around me
and they do multi tracking etc. etc. etc. i am lucky to just be
able to get it from the camera up online. So everyone comes
in and starts from where they are at. Unless you are going to
sing a pajama complimentary song yes you might want to change
first. hahahahahah At this moment am also hanging out with my
morning coffee and trying to figure out how to make an Eddie
Vedder song Can't Keep work. Oh not for this season but just in
general as no one sings like Vedder, but it's just such a
catchy tune that it keeps following me around. Darn Vedder.

Thanks Kanaka!! You are absolutely right. I spent days trying to find songs (not at all educated with music theory so its been a bit of challenge but a good learning experience), when I had it narrowed down to two I saw they were were done already. I know that doing a song someone else has done is okay but it just makes me more nervous. I think I'm going to take your advice and jump in with both feet!! No time like the present, right! Wait, in the exact "present" I'm hanging out in my pajamas drinking coffee so no time like after getting dressed! :)

I'm sorry if this is a lame/lazy but I've been watching everyone's videos and they are all amazing!! I have so much respect for all of you who put yourself out there and also for everyone who takes the time to comment.

Wongo
10-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Wongo!

that is amazing. I loved the tempo uptick on the second verse. In fact you had enough ideas in there for three songs. I respect that you gave us everything at once though. Get yer arse to an open mic, will ya? The world needs to hear this.

Thank you so much for your comment. It really means a lot. I am trying to write some more. So feedback like that is a massive encouragement.

ukuleledaveey
10-10-2012, 05:29 AM
My entry - i apologize i might come across as slightly arsey on my intro, I have a stinking cold and my wife has been away for over a week and im missing her , so i am a bit of a grumpy old git lately.
This song has already been entered but im all for different versions so dont be put off folks if some one else has done the song you aim to do ,just go for it. Cheers for hosting J-peg.

http://youtu.be/atmo9gYSPjo

~dave~~wave~
10-10-2012, 05:39 AM

This is absolute inspired genius, from conception to execution.
I was deeply engaged in the lyrics, then the little renaissance musical flourish at the end floored me.
Bravo!

ukuleledaveey
10-10-2012, 06:00 AM
here is a bonus song, a treasure from my adopted homeland that i miss so much :(

Sorry about the poor sound quality, I have discovered dont use your kodak play touch to record when charging through the mains electricity it interferes with the mic ooopppsss !!!!!

http://youtu.be/L5UBrML2Jq0

UkeyDave
10-10-2012, 06:20 AM

Good job Wonga. Welcome to the season. Its great fun.

ukuleledaddy
10-10-2012, 07:01 AM
So...
This.

Dave, I loved that! This is reminding me of a contest a year or so ago hosted by Mim where you had to take a song and turn it into something totally different. Wonderful.

ukuleledaddy
10-10-2012, 07:05 AM

I love the relaxed feeling you gave this song! It sounds so fresh. I loved Men At Work in the 80s so much. I have a CD by Colin Hay in which he rerecords some of those songs. I wish he had done Down Under like your version. So great.

peewee
10-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Not even a bonus, a sub-bonus, gathered from having been flung on the bonusdungheap of history.
Just a discussion of poetry to music and not much of that.
Nothin' to see here folks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c6w0j1mZ5I

Love it, I was wrong, it can be de-curmudgeoned!
here's the original (starts at 26s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfOxdZfo0gs&feature=player_detailpage#t=25s

peewee
10-10-2012, 07:25 AM
So...
This.

You have the skills to pay the bills

barefootgypsy
10-10-2012, 07:51 AM
here is a bonus song, a treasure from my adopted homeland that i miss so much :(

Sorry about the poor sound quality, I have discovered dont use your kodak play touch to record when charging through the mains electricity it interferes with the mic ooopppsss !!!!!
Oh Davey, sorry about the Man Flu! But that uke strumming sounds just magnificent! :D