Redwood - is it a decent tone wood?

Pondoro

Reaction score
I've got a piece that would make a couple of sopranos or several cigar box ukes. I would not bend it for the sides, only use it for the soundboard and back, or the soundboard only on a cigar box.

No wonder, did you notice who made it.... Rick Turner, no less.

EDIT:
And yes, redwood is a prized topwood, though some don't like it... From our own experience with it - albeit limited to only a couple of builds and a few pieces in our stock - and from what I've heard in other people's builds I would take Ken Middleton's characterization of it as being "very similar to cedar" with a grain of salt. Ours is stiffer and not nearly as soft, so it's a little easier to work with. Soundwise, our redwood has a lot of ping but not the buttery smooth, mellow cedar tone.

Last edited:
No wonder, did you notice who made it.... Rick Turner, no less.
Of course I did. That one was bought by the wife of the Dean for the Stanford music dept as a gift to her husband. I have a custom compass rose tenor on order right now:D Btw mine will have a sinker redwood soundboard.
From my very limited knowledge there are lots of variables regardless of wood type. Luthier,thickness of soundboard since luthiers don't want to sit around replacing soundboards, tap testing for tone on individual pieces,density and grain between pieces,bookmatching,bracing,neck style,etc.,etc. It's a true art. Have to trust your luthier to treat you right.

Ours is stiffer and not nearly as soft, so it's a little easier to work with. Soundwise, our redwood has a lot of ping but not the buttery smooth, mellow cedar tone.

I agree with this characterization, having owned (but never made) both cedar and redwood topped ukes. erich states it accurately. Very. And as such, redwood also has less volume than cedar, too.

I agree with this characterization, having owned (but never made) both cedar and redwood topped ukes. erich states it accurately. Very. And as such, redwood also has less volume than cedar, too.

I will have to disagree every thing depends on the stiffness of the wood. And it make a difference on what the back and sides are made of, we have built redwood toped ukuleles that have much more punch and volume then a lot of cedar tops I have played.

Redwood live for very long and the climate where they mature can be very variable so you'll get very different charateristics even within a tree.

Can make a great tonewood, more headroom than cedar but more complex than most spruces.....

More info here.

Right on. Bruddah Steve! What kind of uke do you have??? I saw that you were selling a lot of your prized collection of ukes on eBay.

i have the mike pereira from the ken middleton vid. it's the cat's pajamas!! i'll do a vid, it has southcoast linears now. d-tuned it's so good, mike is a superb luthier. really tops, key.

i'm selling ukes -- sold 5 already in two weeks -- but the ones now on ebay i love like children, so i ratcheted up the price to dizzying levels. hey, listing on ebay is 80 cents, why not. lol if they don't sell, at least i can tell my wife, cathy, that i tried, eh.

i have the mike pereira from the ken middleton vid. it's the cat's pajamas!! i'll do a vid, it has southcoast linears now. d-tuned it's so good, mike is a superb luthier. really tops, key.

i'm selling ukes -- sold 5 already in two weeks -- but the ones now on ebay i love like children, so i ratcheted up the price to dizzying levels. hey, listing on ebay is 80 cents, why not. lol if they don't sell, at least i can tell my wife, cathy, that i tried, eh.

Right on, Bruddah ... right on!!! So .... you da buggah who wen go buy da MP uke!!! Good on you, Brah! I totally undahstand your reasons fo jacking up da prices of your ukes on eBay! CONGRATS on your sweet MP uke!!!:cheers:

if you have an extra piece for a soprano size, can i trade with a Koa?

Weerpool - I think I'll get a bunch of pieces about 4" wide, so two to make a top or a back. PM me in November and I'll send you some, it will be 0. 12 inches thick and you'll have to sand it down. I've done it with a belt sander and a random orbital sander, it is slow but you can get it very level. I am too busy in October to even think about it, something every weekend.

Top Bottom