String Questions

Gforeman

Reaction score
I have a few, so bare with me.

1. I see some ukes with a wound 4th string, and some with a wound 3rd string. I realize the wound 4th is for using a low G, but why the 3rd?

2. If my Tenor uke came with a low G, can I put a high G on without changing any setup? I know changing gauges on my guitar strings requires me to tweak the setup, like neck relief, but since there is no adjustment for this on a uke, is the instrument MADE for the low G, and should be left that way for tension reasons?

3. I get a lot of my strings for my guitars at juststrings.com. I was looking, and really can't tell if the packages are low G or high G packaging. Is there a telltale sign, or some nomenclature?

4. Do the wound strings break often? Can you buy just spare wound strings? My classical guitars go through about 3-1 the wound strings, and they are sold in just sets of only the wounds for this reason.

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited:
1) Most baritones tuned in linear DGBE have a wound fourth and wound third string.

2) It depends, but usually you can change without trouble. At worst you might need to widen the slot a little if the new string is thicker.

3) Usually if it doesn't say anything it's reentrant (high-g) tuning. Low-G sets will usually be identified as such, sometimes in the part number. I think Worth brand, for example, are something like CM-LG or what have you.

4) Three to one is about right for wound and nylon strings. Five or six to one for wound and fluorocarbon. Yes, you can buy wound low-G strings individually.

Welcome to our little corner of insanity. :)

John

Top Bottom