PDA

View Full Version : Tenor owners: Tuning: Low G, Reentrant, or both?

Doc_J
10-07-2012, 02:32 PM
With the addition of 2nd tenor (KoAloha) I thought I would have a low G and a standard tuning tenor, but my tenors both sound so good in low G. I can't seem to force one into being reentrant (Maybe I need a 3rd tenor).;)

So, what do you have on your tenor(s)?

[Yes, I realize there is at least one existing poll (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?31525-High-G-Low-G-For-Tenors), but it did not have 3 choices, only 2.]

Yestyn The Great
10-07-2012, 02:52 PM
I only tune low g when I am doing solos with bands, because it gives my maor range. But ushually I tune re-entrant.

soupking
10-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't tend to deviate from whatever tuning was on the uke when I purchased it. I'm of the opinion that a ukulele is meant to be played and heard as the maker intended; low g, high g, strings, et al. Believe me, I know I'm in the minority around here. I just don't have the time or patience to try and get the best out of something in an altered state, but that's just me. I don't like fussing with stuff. I have a KoAloha tenor that I wouldn't even dream putting a high g string on, and similarly a Maui Music tenor that doesn't need a low g trial, because it's perfect as is. To each their own...

mds725
10-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Recently, I've been preferring low g. I have two Kamaka HF3 tenors, and I was using the one with reentrant tuning almost all the time because I use it to play Hawaiian music in my two Hawaiian music classes. When one of my instructors said that he preferred low g (he plays an 8-string) for Hawaiian music, I began using my low g Kamaka tenor for Hawaiian music as well. I have a Mya-Moe tenor that's strung low g because I use it almost exclusively for non-Hawaiian music.

Having said all that, I believe that this is all a matter of personal preference and taste, and I wouldn't swap out the low g string of an ukulele if I was really enjoying the low g sound simply because a majority or plurality of people voting in a UU poll said they preferred reentrant tuning. If I were in your position, I'd definitely keep the Compass Rose low g, and if I wanted a reentrant tenor I'd use the KoAloha for that, because to my ear KoAloha tenors generally have a brighter sound than CR tenors, and I find that the brighter sound may be better suited to reentrant tuning. Or, if I really liked the way they both sounded as low g tenors, I'd just leave them that way because I think KoAlohas and Compass Roses sound different enough that your two tenors will sound different even with both of them strung for low g tuning.

Patrick Madsen
10-07-2012, 03:06 PM
I have a linear (low) G and a rentrant (hi G) tenors . To make it interesting I tune the hi G to a Bb key. F,Bb,D,G. I like it much better than tuned to rentrant C.

drjond56
10-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I keep a Koaloha in low-G and play that mainly for solo finger style arrangements. I keep a Lanikai maple model in high G which is use if strumming or for some arrangements (mainly classical and baroque) which are fingerstyle, but require that tuning.

Jon

peaceweaver3
10-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Tenor Flea, tuned low g. Initially I hated low g (bought a pre-owned soprano Flea that came with one), but really grew to like it after I decided it wasn't a betrayal to "uke sound". :o Now I compose specifically using the low g and never play reentrant anything, but I do like to listen to reentrant ukes.

Pondoro
10-07-2012, 03:41 PM
My tenor is in low G and I like it that way.

wickedwahine11
10-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Of my four tenor ukes, three are low g and one is re-entrant, but I never play the high g so they might as well all be low g. I do think some songs sound better high g, but I do almost all fingerpicking, and I like the low g for the extra notes it gives me.

Raygf
10-07-2012, 04:50 PM
My Glyph is and will always be high g and Dave is very happy about that. My Pono is low G and my Mya-Moe that will be completed at the end of the month is coming low G. The tenor fluke is high g. The Pono will possibly go to reentrant D or Bb. We shall see.

CTurner
10-07-2012, 04:57 PM
I have one low g and two high g. Lichty tenor is low because that uke takes the lower range the best. My Riggio and Pohaku tenors in re-entrant sound different from one another, but better in that tuning I think. If I had to switch out, I would try low g on the Riggio and keep the Pohaku re-entrant.

I have both tunings because I like songs that require each for variety.

Rubio MHS
10-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Two have low Gs, and one has both (8-string)

consitter
10-07-2012, 06:38 PM
My custom is strung linear. My Pineapple Sunday, which had a tenor neck, but is voiced more like a soprano, is re-entrant. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

costaricadave
10-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I keep my Mainland Tenor Low G and My Moore Bettah High G. I have found that some songs I play sound better in Low G while most sound best High G. So I keep one in each tuning.

TheCraftedCow
10-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I know this to be outside the scope and design of your survey, but you might also find you like the sound of a tenor tuned as DGBE linear and/or reentrant.

uke42
10-07-2012, 08:18 PM
All of my tenors are low g. Maybe I'll keep my next tenor a High G. Or at least the one after that. Who am I kidding even my concert and super concert are strung low g. I only have one uke that is re-entrant and that's my soprano.

hammer40
10-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I just recently received my first low g, my Compass Rose came strung that way. I have to say I really like it, though I can see where you wouldn't want that particular sound depending on what you're playing. That's what is so interesting about stringed instruments like a guitar or ukulele, they can have such a variety of voices that can be utilized or enjoyed. Unfortunately, that feeds the UAS as well.

Lalz
10-07-2012, 09:01 PM
When I get a tenor I'll tune it either linear Bb, reentrant G or as a cuatro (low reentrant D). Or a step or two higher depending on how it sounds.

Doc_J
10-08-2012, 04:10 AM
All of my tenors are low g. Maybe I'll keep my next tenor a High G. Or at least the one after that. Who am I kidding even my concert and super concert are strung low g. I only have one uke that is re-entrant and that's my soprano.

You know you will have to try low g on your soprano some day. ;)

Only my tenors are in low g. I have tried low g on a concert and soprano, and thought they sounded good. But my ear likes sopranos and concerts in standard re-entrant tuning.

Patrick Madsen
10-08-2012, 05:47 AM
When I get a tenor I'll tune it either linear Bb, reentrant G or as a cuatro (low reentrant D). Or a step or two higher depending on how it sounds.

Speaking with Dirk from Southcoast he recommended a person not go to a Bb with linear tuning. I tried it and it really deadends the sound. But with the rentrant tuning, the Bb made my tenor sing even more.

Teek
10-08-2012, 08:02 AM
I have five tenors since that is the size I like best. Two four strings and two six strings, one each in linear and one each in reentrant. My electric is linear. Songs meant for reentrant sound odd played with a linear tuning and vice versa, so I of course need one of each type in each tuning.

I also think certain ukes prefer to be reentrant or linear. Aside from the tunings, one each is mahogany, one koa. The mahogany ukes are linear, the koa ukes are reentrant. They have all been set up in both tunings, that's just how I ended up sorting them out.

uke42
10-08-2012, 08:39 AM
You know you will have to try low g on your soprano some day. ;)

Only my tenors are in low g. I have tried low g on a concert and soprano, and thought they sounded good. But my ear likes sopranos and concerts in standard re-entrant tuning.

I'm thinking of stringing my wifes Kala pocket-uke low g ;) I'll keep my soprano high g for now.

PedalFreak
10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
3 Tenor ukes, 1 Low G, 2 reentrant

rreffner
10-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Reentrant Bb.

itsme
10-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Of my 5 tenors, 3 are re-entrant and 2 are low G. I like both. :)

cbinla
10-09-2012, 07:26 PM
My Ohana tenor uke is a 5 string with a high and a low G. I loved it the moment I first picked it up. I just added an electric pick up. I'm in heaven.

ItsMrPitchy
10-09-2012, 11:52 PM
I have two tenors on with hig g and one with low g. I prefer it like this since i like low g and hig g tuning equally.

Millbrook
10-10-2012, 08:47 AM
My only tenor uke is an 8-string, so my answer is "both" (on the same ukulele).