Anyone have a Tenor Kala Maple?

allinfun

Reaction score
My friend wants to buy a uke. She found a concert Kala spalted maple with spruce top that she really liked the sound of. But she loves how the tenor feels in her hands. She found out that Kala makes the spalted maple in a tenor but before asking the store to order it (pre-pay upfront) she wants to make sure she likes the sound, thinking that it might just be not the same due to the size difference and she might not like it.

Does anyone here have a tenor Kala maple/spruce and have a soundclip or video of it being played?

Thanks.

Yep, the frets seem to count up don't they?

Thank you for recalling that on Youtube, I will be emailing her directly.

I have the Spruce/Maple Tenor, I play it everyday, It has D'Addario Pro Arte strings and is very LOUD and bright, To me wtih those strings it sounds like a HUGE Soprano Uke. Not Deep and Boomy like my Mahogany Tenor.
I wouldn't trade it.

I have played the Concert and the Soprano Spruce/Maple's and they sound much the same in voice, givin that they are each strung with the same strings when I compared them they all had Aquilla strings on them.

Freedive, That's good to know. So where's your youtube video? :)

When we hit the music store yesterday she told me she didn't like the kala koa tenor sound, she didn't like the mahogany kala either, but she said that the maple/spruce concert sounded to her like what a uke should sound like. But she really liked the tenor size for fit.

I also explained that strings have a ton to do with sound as well, and if you don't like the sound try putting a different set of strings. They can make a so-so instrument sound fabulous and a great instrument sound average.

Top Bottom