Voice workshops

Nickie

Reaction score
I attended my first voice workshop today. As I never sing without the ukulele, my instructor encouraged me to lay it down and sing acapella. I grasped it tighter, and would not put it down. I performed my one song for critique with the uke, and she told me my voice is beautiful, I just need to breath more. I never thought of my voice as beautiful before, and never cared about singing before I started ukeing. But now I'm encouraged, and as long as I know I'm not off key, I'm gonna sing more and keep going to workshops. My confidence is so much higher now. Have any of you ever done a voice workshop? What were your experiences?

I guess my only workshops were the weekly workshops our voice teacher had with the students in her studio. You show up once a week on a Friday morning, and work on your rep in front of a friendly crowd, the other students. She uses that time to instruct you, and obviously those watching get something from it too. It was a bit daunting because we had some real stars in that studio, but the atmosphere was always friendly and she taught in a positive way.

I think the advice to sing sans uke was a good one. I think she was trying to get you to concentrate on just your voice. People think it's easy but there's really a lot to concentrate on before a note even comes out. I'm glad you had a good time and a positive experience. I wish I could sing AND play... like at the same time.

No never have been to a voice workshop but would be a good thing
and have been considering going after all can't hurt.

Aloha Nickie,
Good for you and keep it up. I started singing in front of an audience while in the 2nd grade, in front of family partys and in school. Only training I had was in 7th grade at my church's Jr. Choir. I sing in the shower alot, still do.
I serenade my Fiance and sing to family and friends with my uke whenever they ask me to.
Don't be ashamed to sing anytime, anywhere...........................BO.........................

Aloha e Nickie.

Congratulations on beginning your vocal lessons. I cut my teeth on vocal lessons in church choirs, school choirs and glee clubs. Vocals are a musical instrument, too. Vocals will benefit from lessons the same as your ukulele playing. Ric

Aloha Nickie,
Good for you and keep it up. I started singing in front of an audience while in the 2nd grade, in front of family partys and in school. Only training I had was in 7th grade at my church's Jr. Choir. I sing in the shower alot, still do.
I serenade my Fiance and sing to family and friends with my uke whenever they ask me to.
Don't be ashamed to sing anytime, anywhere...........................BO.........................

I sing in the shower a lot too (and in the car)! Haha :p

Hey Nickie! It's nice to hear that you had a good experience with your workshop :) I've been thinking about taking taking singing lessons, as I've never taken one before, and you're post makes me feel a bit less scared and I feel encouraged to try one out. Just a question, how did you find the workshop you went to?

Top Bottom