ukulele non-fictions books

J-dawg5

Reaction score
Hey my fellow UUers!!!! i have to read a non fiction book for my english class. do any of you guys know any books about like the history of ukulele, great ukulele players, ect. it has to be of at least 300 pages, and im only a sophmore in highschool so nothing to crazy hard haha. i mean ukulele the only thing i really love so i thought why not read about it??:) thanks :shaka:

You may be hard pressed to find a uke book that is 300 pages, but maybe you can use The Ukulele, A Visual History by Jim Beloff. Backbeat Books, San Francisco, 1997, 127 pages. Good luck!

-joe

Because it's only 5" x 8", BazMaz's book "The Complete What Ukulele Players Reallyl Want To Know" is 337 pages. A very easy read and a solid foundation on ukulele basics and beyond.

The best one I know of is only 282 pages, "The Ukulele - A History" by Jim Tranquada and John King. It's 7" x 10"

Last edited:
Because it's only 5" x 8", BazMaz's book "The Complete What Ukulele Players Reallyl Want To Know" is 337 pages. A very easy read and a solid foundation on ukulele basics and beyond.

The best one I know of is only 282 pages, "The Ukulele - A History" by Jim Tranquada and John King. It's 7" x 10"

aaaaand, Phil gets the prize!!!! Just couldn't think of one that was 300 pages. I agree that Jim and John's book is THE uke book against which all others should be rightly measured. Funny thing is, though Baz' book is longer page wise, it's probably 1/2 the words of the other so it's a win-win for you Dawg: meet the quota and get to read a very informative book that pretty much covers all bases! :)

I second Phil's shout Bazmaz's books are very informative great books as well

If you read it slowly, it'll seem like 300 pages. 400 even.

I have Jim and John's book, The Ukulele - A History, in paperback, and while it's 282 pages, as had been mentioned, there's actually only 166 pages of text, followed by 12 pages of appendices (Appendix A, a list of Hawaiian luthiers, is 6 pages, and Appendix B, a checklist of ukulele methods and songbooks, is also 6 pages), 74 pages of footnotes, an 18 page bibliography and a 12 page index. Depending on how your teacher lets you count pages, this book might not qualify. The Uke of Wallington may be a more enjoyable book for your purposes anyway, as it tells a story and sounds like a memoir, so it may be easier to write a report or give a presentation on it. Good luck!

Top Bottom