Jake Shimabukuro's Grand Ukulele Concert

uke42

Reaction score
I just got back from seeing Jake Shimabukuro for the first time at the Montalvo Arts Center in Saratoga California and all I have to say is that it was one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time. Very emotional and energetic performance. I would highly recommend catching him on this tour if you're anywhere near a city where he'll be performing. I think he played everything from his new album including my favorites "Music Box" and "Missing Three". Awesome performance!

I honestly didn't think he would play songs from his grand ukulele album since most were accompanied by an orchestra. Did he also include other instruments in his performances or did he turn them into solo pieces?

It would still be amazing either way! I wish he would perform in Australia...

I'm curious. Did Grand Ukulele sound like dentist's waiting room music on stage, or did Jake balance it with the good music from any of his old CDs?

I'm seeing Jake the 25th of this month!...

Jake, always puts on a Great show with whatever music he plays!

He played solo. Sounded much better than the CD without the backing instruments but I've always liked solo acoustic performances. Although I like the CD much better now after seeing him perform.

No it didn't sound like dentist's room music although there were a few songs that were very soothing. You know that he was giving his all because after a few of the songs you could hear that he was out of breath. I was just mesmerized by his performance and tried to get a grasps on his technique. Almost flawless. The crowd gave him two standing ovations.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the concert. I have seen Jake live a few times and I enjoyed each one.

He played solo. Sounded much better than the CD without the backing instruments but I've always liked solo acoustic performances. Although I like the CD much better now after seeing him perform.

No it didn't sound like dentist's room music although there were a few songs that were very soothing. You know that he was giving his all because after a few of the songs you could hear that he was out of breath. I was just mesmerized by his performance and tried to get a grasps on his technique. Almost flawless. The crowd gave him two standing ovations.

Sounds like a fun time, thanks for the description. I saw him on Peace, Love, Ukulele Tour 2011 which was a great album and tour. I think I'll sit this one out and see him during a future tour.

I just got tickets for his Eugene Oregon show. This will be my first time seeing him. cant wait

You'll love him. You really will. Everyone does. He's a gentleman. He's gifted. He's funny. He smiles a ton. He plays like there's no tomorrow. And he signs ukuleles and shakes hands after the show.

All that said, I find his new CD to be subdued and underwhelming. No Blue Roses orBring Your Adz on this one.

I hope his next producer is RickRubin and not A. Parsons. I like Jake, so I have to blame somebody.

On the bright side, it gives Brittni and Kalei a chance to dethrone king Jake for ukulele royalty.

I just got back from seeing Jake Shimabukuro for the first time at the Montalvo Arts Center in Saratoga California and all I have to say is that it was one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time. Very emotional and energetic performance. I would highly recommend catching him on this tour if you're anywhere near a city where he'll be performing. I think he played everything from his new album including my favorites "Music Box" and "Missing Three". Awesome performance!

Hey R..i did not see your review on the concert earlier..sounds like you had a great time..i just ordered Jake's CD should have it soon..Have you heard the Brtiney Pavia one?

Hey R..i did not see your review on the concert earlier..sounds like you had a great time..i just ordered Jake's CD should have it soon..Have you heard the Brtiney Pavia one?

I just bought it after you just mentioned it. I'll let you know what I think of it. I was also thinking of getting her dvd.

Top Bottom