PDA

View Full Version : Learning style

Vija
11-17-2008, 10:45 PM
From a learning perspective, what do you think of these alternate approaches:

a) learning one or two songs fluently, then finding one or two more, ad infinitum
or
b) exposing yourself to many different songs (and thus chords) at once.

Thoughts on benefits/disadvantages, personal experience etc?

Aotearoa-Strummer
11-17-2008, 11:06 PM
I really just started learning what ever songs I liked and that meant I sometimes had a few on the go at a time which didn't really hinder my learning of the ukulele. It probably made me a better more versitile player actualy.

SinisterDom
11-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Generally, when I try to teach myself how to play an instrument, I do this:

Learn all the major and minor chords

Learn and practice scales

Practice every day

Memorize songs completely

Take songs slowly, one at a time, two at most

Howlin Hobbit
11-18-2008, 07:06 AM
From a learning perspective, what do you think of these alternate approaches:

a) learning one or two songs fluently, then finding one or two more, ad infinitum
or
b) exposing yourself to many different songs (and thus chords) at once.

I'm all for "a." Mainly because if you're choosing songs you like, you're more likely to put the effort into learning them.

deach
11-18-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm all for "a." Mainly because if you're choosing songs you like, you're more likely to put the effort into learning them.

It's also easier to learn a song you're familiar with.

Kaneohe til the end
11-18-2008, 08:03 AM
usually when i learn a song, its because ive been obsessed with it for days, then i look up chords, tabs, whatever i can find, then play the hell out of it til i get tired of it.

aznxtrm2
11-18-2008, 10:48 AM
it also depends on the type of songs you are learning, if they are simple, then you dont really need to focus on one song at a time. i usually learn songs one at a time or atleast part of a song that i kno and i come back to it later if i get interested in another song. also depends how well u r at memorizing songs. alos look at alot of videos once you finish the songs and see what ppl do different and modify yours to your own style.

grappler
11-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Man...
im learning 3 differnt songs now and i get bored of one and learn the other.. then back and forth which really sucks..

thesoobz
11-18-2008, 12:00 PM
learning songs that you really like is probably easier well for me. haha
because when i know the lyrics and how to tune is supposed to be sung the chord timing and transitions come a lot easier.

but yeah i guess all you really need is practice. not just the ukulele but also the lyrics and etc. n_n

BluesDrive
11-18-2008, 12:30 PM
I just hear a song I want to learn and put it down on my phone. Then whenever I have free time, I go learn it. So I guess it's more like B since there's a lot of crap on my phone, lol.