Another reason why ukuleles are the best

Lalz

Reaction score
Just had to share. My house got flooded a few times lately (combination of terrible weather and irresponsible neighbours). Luckily only the kitchen and bathroom have had water damage, so most of my belongings are fine :) But this week the house is being repaired and it has turned into an uninhabitable construction site, complete with dust, stuff everywhere and strong chemical smell. I wasn't expecting it to be that bad so I when I came home from work I had to quickly pack a bag and grab my Flea to go camp at some friends houses for the coming days, taking turns. I feel bad about crashing people with so little notice - turns out it's pretty bad timing for most of them - but when I take my uke out, play a little bit and hand it over to them to play, they get this happy look on their faces and I feel a bit less like a squatter. One of them now has decided to learn. Probably wouldn't have happened if I played the cello haha. Thank you ukulele! :)

Also, I'm usually too shy to play in front of my friends unless I'm at a jam session with lots of other people, but now I'm starting to feel confident enough to play for/with them and I realise I'm a much better player than I thought I was. Thank you flooded house! :)

....and plinking away on the couch in my underwear. Or, angering my wife by rubbing my fingers up and down the strings to get a squeek noise..

Just had to share. My house got flooded a few times lately (combination of terrible weather and irresponsible neighbours). Luckily only the kitchen and bathroom have had water damage, so most of my belongings are fine :) But this week the house is being repaired and it has turned into an uninhabitable construction site, complete with dust, stuff everywhere and strong chemical smell. I wasn't expecting it to be that bad so I when I came home from work I had to quickly pack a bag and grab my Flea to go camp at some friends houses for the coming days, taking turns. I feel bad about crashing people with so little notice - turns out it's pretty bad timing for most of them - but when I take my uke out, play a little bit and hand it over to them to play, they get this happy look on their faces and I feel a bit less like a squatter. One of them now has decided to learn. Probably wouldn't have happened if I played the cello haha. Thank you ukulele! :)

Also, I'm usually too shy to play in front of my friends unless I'm at a jam session with lots of other people, but now I'm starting to feel confident enough to play for/with them and I realise I'm a much better player than I thought I was. Thank you flooded house! :)

great story fair play

All the best to you with the house situation! And congrats on the new player and more than that, on coming out of your gig bag - I mean shell! Thinking of you, take care!
Oh... And go Flea! :D

Thank you thank you! :)
I popped by earlier to check how things are going and it looks like I should be able to move back in tomorrow. Phew! I miss my house... and my other ukes!! Hehe ;)

Thanks Mike!
Funny enough, I'm usually not shy at all about talking in front of lots of people or doing gigs playing drums with the samba band I'm part of. But for the uke... I don't know... I just love this instrument so much that I just get really shy about it. Jam sessions are totally fine but if I'm the only one playing I get very self-conscious. Same thing about singing: there's nothing like people listening to me to make my throat tighten up and my voice disappear haha.
I find amateur musicians putting their videos up on youtube to be very brave and awesome. Hopefully one day I'll get there :) Baby steps!

Lalou.. so sorry to hear about your flooding... I hope things get fixed up soon and you are back home. I am a real homebody and would be nuts away from home.
Story of your friend wanting to learn uke is great, bringing cheer to others with a uke is a given.. I think the uke could cheer up the Grinch..maybe..
Also so happy to hear that you are finding it more comfortable to play in front of others. I just buckle in front of others even if I can play it by memory other places.. I am working on it. Glad to hear that you can find some cheer (and a new uke buddy) in the mess of a bad situation..

What a neat story! Good on you for taking lemons and making lemonade. Isn't the ukulele just the greatest instrument in the world?

Another reason why Lalou is awesome: always finding something good in a tough situation! I love your positive attitude, and even if it's bad timing for your friends I'm glad you have some good people around who can help you out. And it's great you have your new, WATERPROOF Flea to ease things along! Nonetheless, I hope you are back home soon.

Thanks everyone, you're such darlings :)
Lots of hugs!!!

Top Bottom