Which uke to install a pickup into?

jalapeno

Reaction score
Hey, folks... need your opinions. I'm planning on installing a SBT pickup (either K&K Big Shot or JJB) into one of my soprano ukes. I can't decide which uke would be the better pickup candidate, though. The choice is between my beloved Mainland red cedar pineapple or Ohana SK-35. Would I get better results (e.g., less feedback, better output, etc.) if I installed it in one versus the other? The Mainland is already my loudest uke. The Ohana is relatively muted (compared to the pineapple). Which would be the better option and why? Thanks!

I really don't think either will have any advantage with a pickup installed.
They're both acoustic ukes...

I think the only one who can answer this question is you.

Here are some considerations if it was me in the situation.

Is the Mainland your "main" uke?
In that case, give it the pickup. This is your primary weapon. It's the uke you will play both acoustically and plugged in live.
It's the uke that you will perform with if the occasion arises, so it makes sense to invest in a pickup for it.

On the contrary, maybe you're not much of an electric player. You will hardly ever plug in your instruments, realistically speaking.
Since the Ohana is a bit muted acoustically, compensate its value by at least enabling it to be the one capable of plugging in for situations that call for it.

If it was really up to me, "Both" would be my answer :p

Put the pickup in the one you play the most.

thanks, fellas... into the pineapple it will go! hopefully, i don't mangle it :)

I vote for the pineapple. To me they have more volume, "bass" if a uke ever does, and more soundboard area than figure 8 sopranos. And maybe also easier to install the pickup if the bottom is less curved than a soprano, but that's just a guess.
Edit: LOL didn't see your post. Guess the pineapple wins!

Last edited:
hey, all... just wanted to follow-up. i ended up installing a k&k big shot into my mainland red cedar pineapple uke. installation went along fine, but i'm experiencing some big time feedback when plugged into an amp... even when i'm positioned pretty far (and angled away) from the amp. tried making a couple of make-shift sound hole covers to no avail. my lr baggs para di takes care of some of the feedback, but with notch and eq dialed back it doesn't sound so great. anybody else have a similar experience or suggestions? thanks!

Top Bottom