Hawaiian Ukulele Method for basic fingerpicking endorsement

roxhum

Reaction score
Hi All, For those of you like me that musicality does not come naturally and I need clear and understandable instruction. What one person may think is intuitive or you just feel the music and know what to do, well it ain't happening with me. It is slow going. That said, for those of you a yearning for detailed instruction I am learning to finger pick and having so much fun with it. I am learning using "Pekelo's Hawaiian Ukulele Method Level 1. I bought both level 1 and level 2 and never got around to it because he does use low G in the music. But I got a low G on my concert and I am about 3/4's through Level 1 and his method works for my learning style. I think Pekelo may be a UU member, I think that is how I learned about these books. I wanted to endorse his books since I am actually clicking with this book and going back to my other books now is easier. The only one thing about it that is challenging for me is he uses Hawaiian music that is not familiar to my ear so it is just a bit more of a challenge to pick up the tune and feel of the music. But he has a CD that goes with the book. It works! Check it out.

Glad to hear you've found a method that clicks with your learning style. That "click" is a great---and for many also a rare---feeling. Enjoy it, and keep having fun learning and picking!

Oh, I missed the other endorsement. I had never noticed anyone talking about his method books before. I really like that he instructs about finger placement. My other books never gave that information and I appreciated it.

THanks for the tip. I am attempting John Kings book.. It's hard hard hard.. music doesn't come easy to me either.. it's a struggle..sigh.
I will have to check these books out.. gonna make us a video?

Mark Nelson's book is also not as easy as lead to believe. Good to know this is a good one. Thank you.

Mark Nelson's book is also not as easy as lead to believe. Good to know this is a good one. Thank you.

I was going to write that it *is* easy, but I've been practicing only the first three for the last few months. Whenever I try the fourth song, I think "well, my fingering on All Through The Night could use some more work," and keep practicing that. So, no, not as easy.

Hi RoxHum
Mahalo nui loa for your endorsement! & glad you're making progress
These are all on Hawaiian songs but the techniques are usable on any other non-hawaiian songs also:)
Aloha/pekelo

I've recently started Book 2 and it is a blast. I've been having SO much fun playing the basic version of "Tiny Bubbles"! (Never though I'd say that!)

The thing I like best about these books is that the tunes are so pretty. Even many of the exercises are pretty.

Also, they've helped me attempt the stuff in John King's book as well as the Mark Nelson one (which I find rather difficult).

I would like to find more Hawaiian music like this, that's not just strumming chords.

Top Bottom