Finger picking low G string issues

roxhum

Reaction score
I am learning to finger pick on my concert strung in low G and having a buzzing issue. Seems that the wound low G string is much less forgiving regarding finger placement. If I am not just right on the note I get a little bit of a buzz. When lifting my finger off the low G string to move to another string as I lift off I get a bit of a buzz. So I wonder if:
1. It is the nature of a wound string and I just need to perfect my method
2. I need a new string this one is worn out
3. Loose the wound string and get a different low G string.
4. Maybe the nut has to be made a little bit larger to accommodate the thicker low G. Now that I think about it it also does a little bit of buzz when strumming unless I hit it just right.

Thanks for any input. I know, I know you would have to see me play, but, I don't have this issue on the C,E, A, strings that are strung with Worth browns or on my sopranos strung in high g.

Thanks

I suggest you try the Aquila Red Series low G, which you buy separately, or a low G set of Ken Middleton's Living Water strings. They are fluorocarbon and are very good - I'm using an Aquila Red on my concert uke with Aquilas at the moment and it's great.... I hate wound strings on ukes, and find these new alternatives much, much better. I hope that helps!

The thicker low g's can affect the setup (nut and saddle).
After you settle on a string you like the sound and feel of, either check your setup or have a pro do it for you.

I would use a fluorocarbon low G. I do, in fact, use one (Orcas right now) and love it. I didn't need to change my Flea's nut, but your uke could differ. Still, try a fluoro string. It will last longer than a wound string, if nothing else.
Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will try different strings and if I end up preferring the wound string I will try sanding the nut and bridge a little larger.

Too bad Southcoast doesn't have low g 650s for a concert. I'm sold on them for my tenors, especially the flatwound g and c strings, so slinky and small diameter.
Try the Aquila red low g, just put them on my Mele Mahog. Tenor and it seems okay, a little more boomy than my Southcoast though. We'll see how they sound after a while. They are easy on the fingers and may be more forgiving for you. Only thing is, I don't know if it'll work for a shorter concert scale........anyone know?
Good luck..................................BO..............................

Top Bottom