Transitioning to Classical Guitar question...

Bob Bledsoe

Reaction score
I'm considering learning classical guitar. I tend to do more finger style ukulele so my thought is that cross training in classical guitar should really help my ukulele playing... So before starting with a guitar teacher, is there anything I can start doing with ukulele that will make the transition easier? I've already started to change my left hand position so my thumb is behind the neck instead of the neck resting in the web of my hand. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys!

How many fingers do you pick with? In CG, you usually use four:

P - (pulgar) thumb
I - index
M - middle
A - (anular) ring

If you haven't been using all of those, that's a good place to start. With six strings, you will find you need them all. :)

I pick with all four. I'm betting that my hand position will be adjusted by a teacher though - probably both right and left hands.

Gary Jugert has put out a free "Jumping Flea Arpeggiator" ebook with picking exercises in all keys. Many CG works are based on arpeggiated chords, so this would probably be useful for you even though it's written for high G.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...or-Gradus-ad-Parnassum-for-the-High-G-Ukulele

As I'm sure you know, CGs are not re-entrant, so if you don't have a uke in low G maybe you'll want to re-string one to get closer to the CG experience. :)

Top Bottom