Brüko 6 (soprano) tuning

Reaction score
How are ya's?

All good over the world I hope, sometimes reading all the posts, and seeing where everyone's from. Blows my mind to think what different places, and lives we lead. But all unified by a great little instrument. Strumming the same four strings..

Anyways, my first Uke, a Brüko no 6 soprano is on its way, I'm bursting with joy. My query is on the site it says its tuned adf#b is this standard tuning for a soprano? When I learn chords etc for a soprano Uke will it be in this tuning. Excuse my ignorance please.

Peace and love good people of earth

How are ya's?

All good over the world I hope, sometimes reading all the posts, and seeing where everyone's from. Blows my mind to think what different places, and lives we lead. But all unified by a great little instrument. Strumming the same four strings..

Anyways, my first Uke, a Brüko no 6 soprano is on its way, I'm bursting with joy. My query is on the site it says its tuned adf#b is this standard tuning for a soprano? When I learn chords etc for a soprano Uke will it be in this tuning. Excuse my ignorance please.

No that is not standard tuning I think they use that a lot in Germany. Standard tuning is GCEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JMN4DdhwsM
Hope you like your Bruko I have a custom concert which looks like the soprano.

Well now, what imformative responses, thanks so much guys.
GCEA.. It is. Yipee.

I'm wondering should I go straight for a set of Aquila. Or just break in the ones that come with it.
Although.. If I do remember Ken from in here, mentioned they were Hogswash.

How are ya's?

What a nice choice for your first uke ! I own the Brüko #6 and the Brüko maple flat soprano. I've tried the adf#b tuning but prefer the standard tuning. The standard tuning is like the fifth fret of the first four guitar strings with the optional reentrant G on the 4th string or not. If are familiar with guitar chords you will quickly be able to make use of guitar chord shapes on your ukulele transposing up four notes.

GCEA.. It is. Yipee.

I'm wondering should I go straight for a set of Aquila. Or just break in the ones that come with it.

The pyramids that came with mine seemed very quiet I have put aquills on now, some people like the pryamids. The only thing you may not like is the thickness of the neck it is around 5mm thicker than my old uke but you get used to it.

GCEA.. It is. Yipee.

Ken may have been referring to the Pyramid nylon strings. My Brüko #6 came with strings that did no justice to the uke and I promptly changed them up. That was a year and a half ago. The Brüko maple soprano flat came with Pyramid carbons and I liked how they suited the instrument. That uke was received about two months ago. Others have noted a psitive difference in the quality of the strings used on the Brükos these days. As an aside I recently changed out the strings on the maple flat because I could not see them against the light maple fretboard and soundboard - crummy vision. I'm using Fremont blacklines and they sound nice. Give the equipped strings a few weeks to appreciate the Brüko sound the way Herr Pfeiffer hears it.

string choice is a very personal thing and many people have there own choices and opinions, and no one is better or more correct than any other. I to have the Bruko #6 i personally didnt like the pyramid strings,i changed them over after a few days to Martins M600's as i love these strings, but it really is up to you, experimenting is part of the fun, go with what sounds good to you, have fun with your bruko, they are smashing uke and a real bargin for the amazing price that they cost and welcome to the undergorund all the best from me :)

I love my No. 6 and my Flat Black Maple. I left the Pyramid strings on the maple and they sound pretty good, I'll likely upgrade soon though. I put Martin flurocarbons on the No. 6 because I think mahogany ukuleles sound the best with flurocarbons (besides Pyramid). It is easiest to tune gCEA because most tabs and chord music will be for that tuning. Enjoy your ukulele and post photos when you get it!

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, ADF#B used to be "standard" uke tuning and still is in some places.

If your interest is primarily early 20th century music many books for that will have the tuning in ADF#B. If your interests are more modern, and especially if you are interested in joining a uke group where the "standard" is GCEA, you'll probably want to use that tuning.

Eventually, if you stick with this lovely little instrument you'll discover that specific uke and string combinations actually lend themselves better to one tuning or another, and not necessarily either of the standards. Some like tuning down to B or Bb, even.

John

Congrats on the Bruko! They're the best deal going, IMO.

Your string question is a hot one. Like many, I'd say adios the Pyramids; they don't do the uke justice. Martins are popular, but I personally don't like the feel of them.

Southcoasts are, for my money anyway, the best strings you can buy. They website is a bit, well... it's due for an upgrade soon. Bt if you get in touch with Dirk he'll be a great resource to you.

I also think Worths work well with my Bruko (they're a bit mellower to my ear), but I have the thin-bodied maple. With a #6, I'd go for Southcoasts in a heartbeat.

Cheers.

The pyramids are rotten.

For me, worth browns make the Bruko sing - but that's just personal opinion

Congratulations on the purchase of such a great ukulele.

It'll sound great tuned to the old standard (greater tension will drive the top better), but it'll be difficult to learn to play with others.

I keep mine tuned to C6, and a string change (to Aquilas or Martin fluorocarbons) does wonders for the little German wonder.

Congrats.

I'll be experimenting all things Bruko myself. I bought a spruce and maple Bruko baritone on eBay that should be interesting to fiddle with. I've not seen a Bruko spruce maple Bari before.

Wow mention strings and the fat really starts spitting!

Allot to think about as regards strings and tuning.
Thanks so much for all the good vibrations. Appreciate it heaps.

I'll post pics when it comes, and gives ya's all a wave.
Maybe tomorrow maybe the next day, I've been staring across the field for the postman all day.

Wow mention strings and the fat really starts spitting!

Allot to think about as regards strings and tuning.
Thanks so much for all the good vibrations. Appreciate it heaps.

I'll post pics when it comes, and gives ya's all a wave.
Maybe tomorrow maybe the next day, I've been staring across the field for the postman all day.

So true, so true your first line. In the end you'll make up your own mind about what strings you like. But for certain you've made a great purchase with the Brüko #6.

Top Bottom