What Soprano Uke?

Halesowen Kid

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The wife is treating me to a new soprano uke....:drool:

I've been given a budget of up to £400 ($650)

I prefer to purchase in the UK as shipping & import taxes could be to much hassel...:(

Please advise me what ukes are worth considering...:D

Looking forward to hearing from you....:)

Mike

Kiwaya KTS-4 . Great ukulele. Or a vintage Martin . There is one for sale on this site right now.

Last edited:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?71412-Ken-Timms-Style-O-soprano (I have no affiliation at all with this ad or seller, jsut thought it fit what you are looking for!)

On the other hand, (and dont take this the wrong way, please!) if you are looking to shell out that much cash (which to many could be viewed as a lot of money for a ukulele) and are not sure about 'what ukes are worth considering' as you stated in your post, you might want to take some more time and play a ton of them to get a feel for what you like and what you are looking for. If you are that new to the instrument (and I have no idea if you are or not and am just making a general statement) you may not even know what yo like and/or don't like, and just because yo drop a lot of money on a ukulele, doesn't mean it will be to your liking. It's like the surfer or guitar player who puts up a post asking for advice on what custom board or custom guitar to build. If you have to ask others, you probably aren't at that level yet to even be able to appreciate or know the differences!

You didn't mention what type of sound you are looking for, what type of woods you prefer, what kind of uke you have now and what you like/dislike about it. There are many more variables that you should consider here in addition to price. Not mean to criticize, just some advice which hope will better inform you for your decision!

Last edited:
In the UK? You could get a Ken Timms soprano (his UU username is Timbuck). He makes beautiful mahogany soprano ukuleles.

Last edited:
In the UK? You could get a Ken Timms soprano (his UU username is Timbuk). He makes beautiful mahogany soprano ukuleles.

Seconded! There's one on ebay right now

They usually go for around £300
I'm really happy with mine. The only thing that would make it any better would be 3 more frets.

Edit - Missed sbpark's post ;/ - Thirded!

Last edited:
A ukulele "worth considering" is the Ohana SK-38. It will come in under budget and above any reasonable expectation for the cost. This instrument projects and barks with the best of them. You and your wife can enjoy a night out with the left over cash.

Last edited:
The Kiwaya KTS-4 is superb at the top of your price range.... everyone raves about the German solid wood Bruko soprano, which comes in round about £100. Ken Middleton reviews both in one video on Youtube and it really is worth watching that..... of course if you buy a uke from the States, import charges are stratospheric, unfortunately. Let us know what you get! Good luck!

I love my Kiwaya KTS-4. Today I sold my Ohana SK-38 because the Kiwaya outclasses it in every way. Highly recommended! Those Ken Timms sopranos are stunning as well.
If you want a koa ukulele I'd try a KoAloha soprana. The Pikake would be within budget.

I've never played a Ken Timms, but I would definitely look into them. I love old Martins, and his are the closest to them I've seen in a new ukulele, at least in terms of appearance. I have a Kiwaya KTS-7, which is well above your range, but if their less fancy models are as good as that one, then they would be top contenders for a great soprano in that price range.

Top Bottom