PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Music Supply ukes on display

wickedwahine11
10-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I just got home from Hawaii this morning and since this is my first stop back at a computer, I wanted to post a photo I took at Hawaii Music Supply around a week ago.

The drive up there was long since the bridge was out, but Mike was very sweet and the ukes are quite something. It took all I could to refrain from buying one.

For those that have not ventured up to the North Shore, this is just a small sampling of what they have to offer at HMS.

That is Mike in the corner. :)

Lalz
10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Wow. This has to how paradise looks like :love: Thanks for posting!

Paul December
10-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Great shot, what camera/lens did you use?

wickedwahine11
10-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Great shot, what camera/lens did you use?

Nothing fancy, just my iPhone.

OldePhart
10-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Holy cow...it might be worth airfare from DFW just to set foot in there... ;)

Okay...that's something new on my bucket list. How sad is it that visiting Hawaii again wasn't on my bucket list (haven't been there since 2nd grade) but visiting HMS is? LOL

John

Paul December
10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Nothing fancy, just my iPhone.
Wow, I didn't realize you can shoot so wide on them.

hawaii 50
10-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Great picture..i was there and maybe played/touched every uke in there Lol..did you get some shave ice at Matsumoto store? The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) got to be one of the best uke stores around..

dkcrown
10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Whoa!!!!!! Vertigo. :) Thanks Staci. HMS looks like an awesome store. Congrats Andrew, and Mike.

Ronnie Aloha
10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Staci, how long is the bridge out? I'll be there next week. I might have to go up the windward side to get there!

hawaii 50
10-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Staci, how long is the bridge out? I'll be there next week. I might have to go up the windward side to get there!

dont go through the Kailua side going to take you longer..call Mike at the store he will give you great advice

it is going to be awhile just dont go through Wahiawa>> go past Scoffield Barracks to Haleiwa..just check your maps..might be Hwy 99 i think.. they are doing some kind of repair..sometimes no delays..

wickedwahine11
10-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Wow, I didn't realize you can shoot so wide on them.

Yeah, they shoot panorama shots now.

Great picture..i was there and maybe played/touched every uke in there Lol..did you get some shave ice at Matsumoto store? The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) got to be one of the best uke stores around..

Nope, I didn't get a chance to. :(

This article from the Star Advertiser back in mid-Sept. said it was for six weeks.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/170133536.html?id=170133536

It was worth the drive, but the traffic was awful. Have fun. :)

808boy
10-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Aloha Staci,
Mahalo for posting. I go there everytime I'm in Honolulu, most of the times just to look and feel the uke atmosphere and to talk story with Mic.
@ Ronnie, you can go past Schofield Barracks and take the road to Waialua. Don't know the name of the road but it's very winedy, be careful. Then follow the signs to Haleiwa. Have fun Bruddah. Do you have Stans' number? If not, PM me......................................BO........ .......................

Trinimon
10-10-2012, 02:39 PM
As Aaron said to me... "Yeah, we have a few ukes..." lol

Steedy
10-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Nice photo, thanks!

Newportlocal
10-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Yep. Stellar photo. Quite a nirvana.

mm stan
10-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Yes don't pass through Waihiawa...when we used to be kids...the grading on the bridge use to make the tires hum...so we'd always call it airplane bridge as kids....
yes thank you for the photo....mike and andrew are both a gem and so is the HMS.... have a great vacation....

kvehe
10-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Super picture!

Ronnie Aloha
10-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks Bo. I don't remember the last time I was in Waialua! Might have been for a football game back in high school!!! I checked the map. It's the 803 road. Not sure if I'll have time to stop by since I'll only be in Hawai'i for three days (two full).

Ronnie Aloha
10-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Stan, I remember that sound!

MisterRios
10-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Great, great photo...

guitharsis
10-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Wow! Great photo of an incredible inventory. Thanks for sharing.

fitncrafty
10-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Yes don't pass through Waihiawa...when we used to be kids...the grading on the bridge use to make the tires hum...so we'd always call it airplane bridge as kids....
yes thank you for the photo....mike and andrew are both a gem and so is the HMS.... have a great vacation....

I was thinking that was Stan's music room!! :) ha ha.. incredible shot, we will never see anything like that in NY!

lancemanion
10-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Stopped by HMS this evening. Andrew opened up for me even though it was well after closing time. Picked up a couple of Aquila unwound red low G. They seem to be the new formula, less stretchy. Can't wait to try them out. As always HMS was awsome: Strings $1 each, atmosphere priceless.

caukulele
10-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Someday, I would love to go to Hawaii and visit HMS!!!! A dream shop.....

PhilUSAFRet
10-11-2012, 03:10 AM
Been trying to come up with a reply that doesn't have any sexual overtones. A veritable uke players ___ Dream! :nana:

foxfair
10-11-2012, 04:27 AM
One of major reasons that I wanna go to Hawaii is to visit HMS... one day, one day!!

coolkayaker1
10-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Thanks for posting, Staci. Great photo!

Love Haleiwa, and always hit it when I travel to Oahu. Shave ice, big Aleutian waves (usually go in the wintertime), Vans Triple Crown, the whole works. Love it!

HMS was not located there when I last visited, but it's a "must stop" for next time. It appears to be the quintessential ukulele store--both with online presence and in-store presence--and is "ground zero" for ukuleles, instruction, and even players (any uke stars there when you were there?). I can't wait, especially after your photo, Staci, to go there and fiddle around with ukes for a couple hours when I'm in Oahu next. (My wife, Cathy, says she'll stay at the Ko Olina resort by the pool while I take off in the rental car up over the red clay pineapple fields for the day to Haleiwa--thanks, babe; I'll buy a nice uke for you!)

hawaii 50
10-11-2012, 07:41 AM

Hey Stan i grew up in Wahiawa and when i was a kid sleeping in the back of the car i would wake up everytime we hit Airplane Bridge..Lol
But the bridge they are working on is the one when you leave Wahiawa going to the North Shore..if you go past Scoffield no problems..

hawaii 50
10-11-2012, 07:47 AM
This article from the Star Advertiser back in mid-Sept. said it was for six weeks.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/170133536.html?id=170133536

Ha Ha..many years ago they built a new bridge..the airplane bridge was redone and new bridge put in..it was to take 1 to 2 years..it took about 10 years or maybe more..Lol

Hawaiian time!!

molokinirum
10-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Wow....died and went to uke heaven!!! If you can't find a uke at HMS......
Thanks for the picture!!

Dan Uke
10-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Staci,

Did you get a chance to stop by Koaloha to pick up a t-shirt? I PMed you for the XL but never got a reply...Great pic and need to stop by when I go next time! I hope to stop at the Shrimp Truck for lunch as well!!

wickedwahine11
10-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Staci,

Did you get a chance to stop by Koaloha to pick up a t-shirt? I PMed you for the XL but never got a reply...Great pic and need to stop by when I go next time! I hope to stop at the Shrimp Truck for lunch as well!!

Hmm, Insent you a response a couple of days ago, I wil resend it.

Nope, I did not make it to KoAloha this trip. I did get to Kanilea though this time.

hawaii 50
10-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Hmm, Insent you a response a couple of days ago, I wil resend it.

Nope, I did not make it to KoAloha this trip. I did get to Kanilea though this time.

I was at the Kanilea shop for a tour at the end of Aug..Joe had a sore throat and said the tour takes about 30 mins..we had so many questions and had so much fun the tour took 2 hours..and by the end Joe sounded back to normal Ha ha..Kanilea must have the best tour..we were shoulder to shoulder with the builders and finish dept guys ..enjoyed it alot!! Thanks Joe

ukeeku
10-11-2012, 10:21 AM
I keep looking at the picture as the day goes by. and when I look at it, I hear angels singing

siauke
10-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Great Photo!