What to do with broken wrist?

BIGDB

Reaction score
hello, i just recently broke my wrist and have been really bored and cant play and im wondering if anyone else has ever done this and have some advise on things i can work on it was my left wrist

thanks

Music theory? :)

Another odd suggestion - flip the uke over and play with the idea of playing upside down? (a friend has chronic left hand pain and has been toying with this himself).

I broke both of my wrists back in 84...wasn't playing much then. I have since practiced some fingerpicking and strumming techniques while muting the strings and have made much progress this way. I often practice this way during tv commercials.
Don't worry about the left hand until it heals properly, just practice right hand techniques.

This happened to me about a year ago. I found the only thing I could sort of do was strum and that didn't work too well. I did plan out some music I wanted to learn when the cast came off. When the cast was off I started trying a Pineapple Sunday that I'd ordered but had yet to even try. (I'd been playing a Kamaka pineapple that was now too small for my hand to handle) The bigger neck did the best physical therapy ever. I wanted to play so bad that I kept trying. It'll get there but probably not as soon as you'd like. (like yesterday) I sold my KoAloha and now use my smaller ukes again although a concert neck now seems about perfect.

Music theory? :)

Another odd suggestion - flip the uke over and play with the idea of playing upside down? (a friend has chronic left hand pain and has been toying with this himself).

do you know anywhere good to learn theory for the ukulele?

Get the book Idiots Guide to playing Harmonica and read the part on 2nd position. Then go buy a nice Harmoninca and start playing along with some of the Backing tracks on You tube.

Then when you get well, get a neck harp holder and play Da BLUES with your UKE and Harp.

Two nice easy to play Blues Scales on Uke are A and C. I play A a lot.

Backing track in C

Backing Track in A

You buy a F harp to play in key of C in 2nd position and a D harp to play in key of A in 2nd position.

Two nice harps, easy to play.

Honer Special 20

Lee Oscar

Neck Holder

Get the book Idiots Guide to playing Harmonica and read the part on 2nd position. Then go buy a nice Harmoninca and start playing along with some of the Backing tracks on You tube.

Then when you get well, get a neck harp holder and play Da BLUES with your UKE and Harp.

Two nice easy to play Blues Scales on Uke are A and C. I play A a lot.

Backing track in C

Backing Track in A

You buy a F harp to play in key of C in 2nd position and a D harp to play in key of A in 2nd position.

Two nice harps, easy to play.

Honer Special 20

Lee Oscar

Neck Holder

Agree on your recommendations. I like my Honer special 20's I have lots of keys.
Originally started with just key of C which still gets the most use.
One of my good friends played drums for James Harman and Rod Piazza. Love the old stuff though like Sonny Boy Williamson II

Last edited:
Chuck him in the long boat till he's sober?

oops wrong song...

I broke my wrist and elbow on my left arm three years ago in a motorcycle accident. I always played my guitar for Sunday School before then, but couldn't play anything. That's actually what turned me onto the uke. I had a Grizzly uke that I assembled, but just never played. The kids liked singing, so I made it work playing with the uke. I had to hold it weird... kind of like a miniature upright bass, but it worked, and probably helped heal and strengthen my wrist as the doctor was impressed with the healing speed. The elbow healed in average time, but the wrist healed up a bit faster.

Personally, I'd say if you have a soprano, just hold it however you can as long as you aren't hurting yourself, and just try. I couldn't change chords too fast, so I stuck with slower songs, or songs where I transposed to make changing chords a bit easier.

Dan

Top Bottom