Should I change my tuning?

Dorothy

Reaction score
I work at the local elementary school at lunchtime. The music teacher has asked me to stop in when the kids start their ukulele learning. Problem is - I'm tuned in C, the school ukes are all D.

Same thing with the ukes at the school my friend is the music teacher at.

There is a third school I go to sometimes, and theirs are tuned in C.

So, I'm thinking of changing my tuning to D. But I'm not sure. Do I use the same strings? How hard is it going to be for me to re-learn how to play chords? The chords aren't played the same, I assume. I only have one uke, and getting a second one is nowhere in my hear future. Would I need to re-figure the music I have now? (I have stuff typed out with the chord letter over the words)

I'm not overly musical ... should I just stick with what I know?

I'd see if the school could change their ukes over to the GCEA tuning, which is pretty much standard these days. It's not that hard to do. You find very little stuff on line or in books (at least current books) that uses the D tuning. I wonder what the reason is to have the ukes tuned to D?

I'd see if the school could change their ukes over to the GCEA tuning, which is pretty much standard these days. It's not that hard to do. You find very little stuff on line or in books (at least current books) that uses the D tuning. I wonder what the reason is to have the ukes tuned to D?

:agree: Print out some of replies if you need to, but convince the music teacher that as far as ukes are concerned, she it putting them at a dis-advantage as beginners. Let them know you will only teach with ukes tuned to GCEA

C'mon people, notice where the OP is from! GCEA is the standard here in the US but that is not true everywhere. Canada happens to be one of those places where D tuning is still the most common, or at least a very common, tuning!

You usually don't need to change strings to change tuning, and I would simply tune to D or C depending on which school I was at. Intonation up the neck may be a little worse in one tuning or the other, but not so much as to be a major issue.

John

Last edited:
I've been doing some research this morning, and have decided I am going to stick with my C tuning. So much easier to find things online.
One of the teachers knows both C and D tuning, but uses D because that is what she knows better. Not sure about the other one who uses D, why he does. The one who uses C likes it better.
I thought about it, I debated it with myself, I asked advice ... and got some good info ... and have decided to stay where I am :)

I suggest you reconsider your decision not to get a second uke and get a second one. It doesn't need to be anything fancy but you can then tune one in each tuning and use whichever is needed for the particular occasion.

I suggest you reconsider your decision not to get a second uke and get a second one. It doesn't need to be anything fancy but you can then tune one in each tuning and use whichever is needed for the particular occasion.

I agree, you should be able to find a reasonably priced ukulele for teaching kids.
Having your uke tuned the same as the kids is important so they can watch your fingers.
If you are just playing along with them then use you "C" tuning.
"D" tuning is more of the standard in Canada. James Hill (also in Nova Scotia) has teaching material in "C" & "D".
I would be surprised if the school is not using his books and program.
As far as your re-learning "D" tuning, the shapes are all the same but the chord names are different. A "G" chord shape on GCEA is an "A" chord on ADF#B.

C'mon people, notice where the OP is from! GCEA is the standard here in the US but that is not true everywhere. Canada happens to be one of those places where D tuning is still the most common, or at least a very common, tuning!

You usually don't need to change strings to change tuning, and I would simply tune to D or C depending on which school I was at. Intonation up the neck may be a little worse in one tuning or the other, but not so much as to be a major issue.

John

Excellent comment. I was going to say pretty much the same thing. I don't believe there are any issues. I do it all the time. James Hill changes from tuning to another on the same uke all the time.

So, if I changed my tuning ... to play a song I have now that is G, D and A chords (on a C tuned uke)... would I have to transpose (my new music term LOL) those to play the song in D tuning? And how is that done? I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around it. Which is why I figured I'd stay with C.

Getting a new uke is out of the question; we're on a tight budget right now. As in "have to make all the Christmas presents this year, or there won't be any gifts" tight budget.

I do have an old Regal uke (from the 20's) that needs some TLC. If that becomes playable I could tune it to D ... but that won't be for a while

Keep the advice, ideas and suggestions coming. I like to learn :)

So, if I changed my tuning ... to play a song I have now that is G, D and A chords (on a C tuned uke)... would I have to transpose (my new music term LOL) those to play the song in D tuning? And how is that done? I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around it. Which is why I figured I'd stay with C.

Getting a new uke is out of the question; we're on a tight budget right now. As in "have to make all the Christmas presents this year, or there won't be any gifts" tight budget.

I do have an old Regal uke (from the 20's) that needs some TLC. If that becomes playable I could tune it to D ... but that won't be for a while

You do not need to transpose, a G is a G, D is a D and A is an A no matter how you tune your ukulele.
You may want to look through some of the teaching material and you will get chord shapes.
The musical alphabet is A, B, C, D, E, F & G. If you play a GCEA "C" chord shape on a ukulele tuned up one step ADF#B, it will be a "D" chord. C + one full step.
The relative pitch between the strings stays the same whether tuned to "C" or "D".

Maybe use a capo?

This is probably the best idea if you do not want to change your tuning. Capo at the second fret and now you uke is in D, just play your regular chord shapes and you'll be in tune with the D ukes. Remove the capo and you are back to C tuning.

And as a note to John and Ken, nope, i did not realize Canadian ukes were tuned in D, must have something to do with being so far north! :)

Here's another vote to change your tuning.

You don't need new strings. Your chord shapes are the same, (although admittedly you have to get used to thinking your C is now a D, your G an A, etc.).

Best of all, you'll have the opportunity to hear your uke differently. I've found my Timms likes C tuning best, my sopranino likes Db tuning, and my Bruko is OK at C, but shines in Bb or D.

Once you start messing around with tunings I bet you'll really enjoy it.

Cheers.

will have to check out capos next time I get to a music store - nearest one is 1.5 hours away.

I'm afraid I would have a hard time re-learning shapes and letters. But,I'll look into it some more. Need to find a D tuning chord chart ... that will a search for tomorrow.

I wondered if a tight budget might be your problem. It all depends on how tight. Yours is obviously very tight.

I suggest you keep the possibility of a second uke in mind should finances ease at some time. Restoring your old one is just as good if it is restorable to playable condition. If there are no cracks or similar faults or missing tuning pegs, then a new set of strings might be all that is needed and strings are not very expensive. I have a friend with a 1920s banjo uke. A new set of strings and she has a great sounding instrument.

Otherwise the suggestion of a capo is a good one. Alternatively it is not difficult to retune should you need to. I prefer to keep ukes permanently in different tunings as the strings do tend to need to settle a little each time you retune. It's not a major problem and they are sufficiently stable for a playing session, but it's just to be aware.

I keep a capo in a uke bag, but I find it does tend to get in the way, but I reckon if you used it enough you would get used to it and if you are comfortable with using it it's a good solution.

If you are helping with teaching uke, I suggest, in the strongest possible terms, some time spent learning a little basic music theory will be well worthwhile. No, it's essential. Basic things like understanding about intervals, scales, keys and chords for a start.

You could create your own chord chart for D tuning if you have one for C tuning as the same shape simply sounds a tone higher (a term you really need to know). So play a C shape in D tuning and it sounds D, a G shape sounds A, F shape sounds G and so on. If you can work it out for all the common chords, then write the D tuning version on your chord chart for C tuning.

Thank you! I wasn't having much luck finding a chart like this. Looked at how to play a "C"... UGH. That alone might keep me on a C tuning :)

I think I'll tune to D, and work though some practice stuff with it. See what I think of it. I know I'm going to struggle with playing that C.

It's all about the learning and having fun :)

If nothing else my fingers will get a work out. And maybe the progression of "up one step" will stick in my head.

Starting to think that thinking about this with a head cold is a bad idea. But, I'm working on it:)

If I play a song now that has A, D and C as chords (for example) in C tuning. I re-tune to D. Do I need to change the chords played, or would I still play A, D and C chords? Or would it be B, E and D?

I'm sorry if I sound stupid ... but I'm just not getting this. Music has never come easy to me. I'm trying to get it. Perhaps I should just stick to C and what I know.

Starting to think that thinking about this with a head cold is a bad idea. But, I'm working on it:)

If I play a song now that has A, D and C as chords (for example) in C tuning. I re-tune to D. Do I need to change the chords played, or would I still play A, D and C chords? Or would it be B, E and D?

I'm sorry if I sound stupid ... but I'm just not getting this. Music has never come easy to me. I'm trying to get it. Perhaps I should just stick to C and what I know.

I really do hate to be mean, but this is a basic music theory thing. Knowing and understanding the musical alphabet is in my opinion a vital skill.
There is a lot of music theory that is nice to know, but is not critical. If you are going to teach I believe you need to fully understand the alphabet.
You may want to go and play (your C ukulele) with the kids, just don't assist with the teaching. The class may actually help you.

Keep playing and having fun, that's what is important.

Top Bottom