Triplets

stirman

Reaction score
Heya... first post. New Uke owner, coming from guitar.

First and foremost, you guys have an awesome community here, I'm glad to be a part of it, and hope I can help young Uke players out in the future, as much as you guys have already helped me by just contributing to these forums.

I always loved triplets and quadruplets on guitar, but am having some problems on the Uke, namely not wanting to play with a pick, ever again :)

I have seen several different youtube vids explaining various methods, but thought I would ask you guys what your preferred method for triplets is, and why?

Plus, my fingers are sore from practicing, thought it would be a good chance to step in a say Hello!

I guess one standard would be "index down, thumb down, index up" in a 1-2-3 pattern but there are numerous variations (thumb up on 3, is one I think was op Youtube). Why not take one, master it, and work from there? Close your eyes while doing it and see if you can distinguish which stroke is which. They should be equal in strength.

If you get fed up with starting the same way every time (in my case, index down) try starting from the 2 or the 3. Really weird and it gives you a whole new view of your triplet strum.

Thanks!

Right on, thanks...

Coming from guitar, it's hard to let my thumb and index finger loosen up as I so accustomed to holding a pick! I keep telling them "relax!"... :)

I didn't do so many triplets yet on Uke, but I use this method..

Jake Shimabukuro does a (very useful) tutorial on something like that: here.

He calls it the "triple strum". Hope this helps.

I use my thumb up, ring finger down, and then index down. Strange i know but i works for me.

Jake Shimabukuro does a (very useful) tutorial on something like that: here.

He calls it the "triple strum". Hope this helps.

god his vids are inspirational!

Top Bottom