chuck it in the bin!

Joe90

Reaction score
Got my Uke setup really nice now, having issues chunking/chucking. Ive watched a few techniques but cant seem to get a rythm down. It doesnt seem comfortable on my soprano and im struggling. Any tips?

hi joe90, chunking like everything takes practice, just keep at it some quick pointers, 1 never chunk on the first downstroke 2 try to practice slowly play a down stroke and an upstroke then using the meaty part of your thumb on the next down stroke let it land on the strings as your strumming finger points to the floor, try it slowly and gradually increase the tempo, keep practicing

Ken Middleton has the best method for chunking.
See his recent interview with BAZMAZ
He does not chunk !!!

Ken may not like to chunk, and as much as i respect such a big figure in the uke world, i want to learn to chunk. No disrespect meant to ken :)

I seem to feel its needed to give some music a reggae feel or just an identity it may not have had without. Im still practicing and improving, guess practice makes perfect. Thanks guys.

I've been playing over a year and a half, and am just learning to chuck. It seems like it's not a skill for most beginners to try, wait until you're a little more advanced, then give it heck...

Thanks pootsie this video looks good. Ill watch it a little later on in depth and try again. I guess im still a beginer nickie but im the type who who if i have something in mind i want to do/ learn. I have to do it lol thanks again guys.

I'm with Ken Middleton, I don't chunk. It's not needed for the style of music I play. I can see that it is useful for some styles of music, but it should be used with discretion. I see some folk using it all the time and it becomes monotonous. You often just need it occasionally within a song for emphasis or to create an effect.

So learn it by all means, but learn to use it to good effect and don't just chunk everything.

Top Bottom